1st oil change at Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

You can turn it off yourself and it will come on next time it needs change. look for the how to do in owners manuel.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Andy, if you don't mind me being nosy, what did your dealer charge? I don't think my dealer includes wash/vacuum as part of his 5,000 mile service.

I've only got about 1,800 miles on my TCH, so I haven't found out how much my dealer is going to soak me for his 5,000 mile service with synthetic oil.

Thanks...
Walt, dealer charged $70. It was $60 until March 1st. I figure the car wash is worth at least $10. My mechanic said he would charged $50 without the car wash. I can afford the $20 peace of mind knowing down the road if I need warranty service there shouldn't be a problem. Also, I found out my tire pressure gauge was off 5 lbs.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

Originally Posted by rodsouza
I called my local Toyota dealer (Walnut Creek, CA) and asked the service department what it was going to cost me to have my first 5,000 mile service. He told me it was going to cost me $104.95. Ouch! What is it costing people on this list who don't have the "free" service that came with their car when they bought it.

$104.95 seems high for an oil and filter change and to "Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs" as it is listed in the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" that came with my Camry Hybrid.

Thanks for your help...

Rod
It's interesting that my dealer chargers $65 for the 5,000 mile service. When I told them that all I wanted was an oil and filter change at 5,000 miles and that I would supply the oil, they charged me $20. I noted on the service order that they also did all the visual checks.

My recommendation is to tell them that all you want is the oil and filter change. Even a crooked dealer would recognize that they can't charge you over $100 for that. The only thing you need to maintain the warantee is the oil and filter change. Tire rotation and other visual checks are not required.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I'm in San Diego too. Which dealer did you use?
I bought and had the 5000 mile service done at Frank Toyota in National City Mile of Cars. It wasn't the closest dealer, San Diego Toyota in Mission Valley was, but last July when I bought the TCH it got the car the fastest.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Veracitorian Muser

My dealer (Superstition Springs Toyota in Mesa, AZ) charges me $20 (both 5K and 10K services so far). The recommended 5W-20 oil and filter are "free" (first 3 included with car purchase), and the "safety" inspection for fluids, filters, etc., and car wash is free with any service. The $20 is for the tire rotation, and includes a free brake inspection. I can rotate the tires myself, but I don't mind paying $20 for that. After my next free oil change, the same services cost $69. Most Toyota dealers in town charge the same.

Most dealers also try to sell you the next higher level of service (e.g., all services Toyota recommends for 30K mile is what they call their 15K mile "premium" or whatever service). I just say no; I want only what Toyota recommends for the mileage on the car.

-- Alan

Old 03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

At my dealership, I get lifetime oil changes for 14.59...tire roatation is $10.00 and visual inspections of brakes and stuff is free! I love 'em. They still do loaner cars, too.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

I just had my first oil change at Laurel Toyota/Carmax in Laurel, MD. They used 0W20 Toyota synthetic oil. I asked for synthetic and was prepared to pay extra. There was no extra charge because they said that was what Toyota recommended for this car. I paid $48 for the 5,000 mile checkup, with a coupon from their website. The car was washed, too. I was very satisfied and will go back again.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well today I had my first oil change! I am in Toronto and went to Woodbine Toyota. Firstly let me say that this is a great dealership at least as far as this service department is concerned, (I didn't buy the car there), very clean, courteous and efficient service and lots of space for parking.
After reading numerous messages on the subject I knew enough to ask for 0-20 oil. Both the service advisor and the hybrid technician said they did not have 0-20 oil and always used 5-20 oil. I asked them how long it would take to order the preferred 0-20 oil, (which they had offered to do). They checked with their parts department and were told much to their surprise they did have 0-20 oil in stock in a large plastic drum! He shook the drum to show me that it sounded just like water!

I was also told that unlike the 5-20 oil that they get from Esso the 0-20 oil was Nippon from Japan. There was no extra charge over and above their standard oil change price of C$34.95 plus taxes. This price includes a bunch of other things such as checking tire pressures, topping up fluids, and lubricating hinges, etc and also a car wash!
The hybrid technician seemed quite pleased that I had put them through the special oil exercise and said they would use 0-20 on TCH's in future.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

My first change today too. Same old story..."we don't have any of that 0w20 stuff, we use 5w30 from bulk". But, the service rep said to let him see if the service department could get some quickly. So he called the service department, and they said they did not have any. So, I said just put in the 5w.

We were just done with filling out the order paperwork, and a service guy comes running up. "I found some 0w20 synthentic. Do you still want it?" So, I did end up getting 0w20 synthetic, for a grand total of $4.58 (don't ask me why it was so little), since I have coupons to get the first 5 oil changes free.

Next time, I will call first to see if they have some, or get some Mobile 1 myself and bring it.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default San Diego Service

I am in San Diego, and today I went to Kearny Mesa Toyota, where I bought my TCH, to get my 5000 mile service. They told me that they did not have 0W20, but that they could order it, or else I could bring my own. I then called Mossy, who told me that they had both 0W20 and 5W20, so I went there and was told that the cost would be 69.99 and that they would use the 0W20 since I asked for it. Well, they used the good stuff and the service was done promptly, complete with a car wash, but they also charged me $40 extra for the oil, which I didn't find out until the service was complete - I was a little annoyed but not that surprised, as at least I got the correct oil and I figured it would cost more anyway (also annoying was that my washer fluid doesn't really look topped off).

In any case, I then called Frank Toyota in National City after reading some of the above posts, and they confirmed that they charge 69.99 for a 5000 mile service, including 0W20 at no extra charge (and a car wash). So, all of this said, I will be going to Frank in National City the next time.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change at Toyota

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands