$4.99 car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: $4.99 car insurance

The plate holder on the front of mine came with a thick black bracket that matched the curve of the front bumper on one side and provided a flat surface for the plate on the other. It hooks in thru the grill underneath like a hinge (I didn't get a good look, the car was about 18" from the garage wall) and uses screws at the top. I decided cost was no object and purchased a 99 cent clear plastic cover to replace the dealer frame that was also installed on top of the plate. Looks good but I'm wondering how long the front will last from stone impacts.

I used the same cover on the back, no special bracket here just the two rubber foam pads to keep the plate off the paint on the bottom. The back cover should likely survive longer than the front. It does look good right now though, the plastic gives the plate a very glossy waxed like appearance.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: $4.99 car insurance

Andy, are you able to take a pic of your front plate that would show how it is mounted? It seems to be a different system than ours.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Here's what it looks like in the attachment, its just a crop of another picture I had done so not very big. This picture is still showing the dealer frame on it which is just a thin black plastic on top of the plate and not part of the bracket. The bracket extends into the opening under the bumper and as I said, works a bit like a hinge (when I removed the dealer frame the whole bracket rotated forward, but did not come off, even with a bit of gentle wiggling). It did not appear that it was a dealer installed piece...

Attached Files
File Type: zip
plate.zip (12.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: $4.99 car insurance

Ooooh, it's nice! I'll have to investigate how to get one.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
WVGasGuy

I was surprised when my son's Scion TC came in with the two self tapping screws in the front bumper. Unfortunately in WV we didn't need front plates so now we have two holes. The vehicle was traded fr=rom an Ohio dealer that does require the front plate.

However when I saw the holes I couldn't believe Toyota did not use a bracket like you've shown. All my GM and FORD vehicles had these. I've got a collection of unused ones somewhere.