Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Asl

You're the MAN, Stan!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
Dear All:
I have passed all this information on to a JBL colleague of mine at Harman-Becker Automotive in Martinsville, IN. He is investigating. I don't think that we should do anything further until I have heard back from him as to the result of his investigation. I'll keep you informed.

Stan
You should also ask him why there is no RDS in the JBL non-NAV when all the Camry brochures say that the stereo is RDS capable!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 AM
SPL

flopshot — He's been viewing this thread, so I expect that he'll see your comment regarding RDS. I'll let you know if I hear anything from him about this. But, I think that this is probably a non-JBL issue. Isn't RDS a function of the radio receiver, rather than the amplifier? Can you fill us in a bit about RDS, also on the NAV? How would one activate it? Does it require a subscription (i.e., payment)? By the way, the non-NAV radio is made by Panasonic; the NAV radio is made by Denso. Toyota presumably gives them the specs to build to, and should verify proper functionality, as these are Toyota-branded parts.

Stan

Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by SPL
flopshot — He's been viewing this thread, so I expect that he'll see your comment regarding RDS. I'll let you know if I hear anything from him about this. But, I think that this is probably a non-JBL issue. Isn't RDS a function of the radio receiver, rather than the amplifier? Can you fill us in a bit about RDS, also on the NAV? How would one activate it? Does it require a subscription (i.e., payment)? By the way, the non-NAV radio is made by Panasonic; the NAV radio is made by Denso. Toyota presumably gives them the specs to build to, and should verify proper functionality, as these are Toyota-branded parts.

Stan
RDS is a function of the receiver, so you are correct, it is probably not part of the JBL equipment. I only said them because they are branding the stereo system as JBL, not as Panasonic. No different than you buying a Dell PC that is using a Maxtor hard drive for example, you would still complain to Dell if your hard drive went bad during the warranty period. But you're right, your friend at JBL would not have this answer.

RDS is broadcast by the radio stations, so if your receiver is RDS compatible, then you can decode the signal. It is free, there is no subscription necessary. I know the NAV unit is decoding RDS properly. The Camry brochures all said that the JBL system would also be RDS compatible, which is clearly isn't. I think Panasonic simply dropped the ball when they build that receiver, because RDS is pretty much a standard in all new car receivers, just like you can hardly find a CD receiver anymore that is not also MP3 compatible.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I did a little experimentation on my drive home last evening.
With ASL on (NAV) the level indicator icon shows zero dots below 5 mph at which time one dot appears until about 35 mph then two dots. I got up to 45 mph max and still only two dots.
Opening the sunroof made no difference in the points at which the dots appeared and disappeared.
I did some A/B testing by turning ASL on and off and could hear no difference when zero or one dot was displayed. When two dots I could definitely hear a difference although not dramatic. Louder music was more noticeable and it seemed the bass was accentuated.
Not a scientific test but in my mind my Japanese low(ish) VIN ASL is NOT disfunctional.
This weekend I may take it on the expressway and check it at higher speeds.

Last edited by schmidtj; 04-04-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Summary so far:
Of the 11 distinct individuals who have provided information so far in this thread, 9 say that their ASL doesn't appear to be working, 1 reports that his definitely does work, and 1 isn't clear on the issue (rewby). The single person reporting that his does work has a Kentucky-made TCH. Of the others, I have been able to ascertain that 8 were made in Japan. I haven't been able to find country information for bmgoodman, and finbib. It begins to look as if the Japanese-made TCHs may have non-functioning ASLs. Can those with incomplete country, JBL or non-JBL, and NAV or non-NAV information please report the missing information? Thanks. We can then very likely pinpoint the origin of the cars with this problem, and which models are affected.

Stan
Sorry for not giving full info. I've got JBL, Nav, manufactured in KY. I have seen the "slider" moving to the right, indicating that it does seem to work. However, I haven't been able to notice a difference in the volume, regardless of how loud I have the volume set.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

I do see the slider moving in steps as the speed of the car increases. But I can't hear any change in volume (either overall or at the quiet end of sounds), except, as I previously mentioned, at speeds around 60 mph. I have NAV/JBL made in Japan.

By comparison, my mp3 player has compression settings that allow me to change the dynamic range (boosting the soft sounds), which is useful for the car, and I can easily hear its effects. If ASL is doing something to the sound at speeds below 60 mph, I can't hear it, except for a brief glitch when I change modes in and out of ASL. It may just be that my hearing is lousy!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
SPL

Thanks for providing the extra information. Well, the data are now less clearcut. Of the 13 respondents, 10 say that their ASL isn't working, 2 say it is working, and the behavior of 1 is still unclear. Of the 10 that aren't working, all but 1 was made in Japan. Of the 2 that are working, 1 was made in Japan. The indeterminate case is from Japan. I suspect that it may be the date of manufacture of the units that is responsible, rather than the car's origin. But, we'll have to wait until I hear further from JBL in this matter.

flopshot, I have looked through the information that I downloaded from both the US and Canadian Toyota Web sites in March and June of 2006, and also at both the original and the updated 2007 Camry printed brochures from my Canadian dealer, and I can't find any mention of RDS as being available in any version of the 2007 Camry (hybrid or not).

Stan

Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

I have a Japan built TCH, and have on may occasions wanted to adjust the ASL to be more sensitive. I guess that is because as most have mentioned, as it is currently configured, if it does work it does not do much.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

SPL, here's another test for your informal survey:

Japan built TCH, no NAV, low(ish) VIN... Repeatedly switched the ASL on & off for 2-3 mins @ 60/70mph this morning (in quick 1-2secs intervals so the ASL selection mode stayed "engaged" and I could flip the **** back & forth w/o too much distraction on the road). Tried it at vol levels 15 & 20.

My $.02 worth? There may have been a "difference" in bass level, but it was oh-so small that I may have just been fooling myself. So I think that it does do "something" but not at all what I expected: I was looking for a much bigger change in overall volume level. Also, I have cuaght myself constantly having to crank the sound up or down a bit before & after leaving the hwy.

IMO, it may "work" but not as advertized / taunted by the vendor.

Quick Reply: Asl

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands