Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Break-in Period

Eric,

I live behind Kings Island. If you want, we can go for a cruise and check out your mileage. I did it for my neighbor when he got his Prius and he gained 2 MPG right away.

I am not the best by a long shot, but I have done well despite the cold. It's amazing how my habits have changed after 2 years in an HSD hybrid.

Larry

Old 02-27-2007, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I think your disappointment will melt with the snows.... Even with lots of short trips, you should be able to break 30 MPG in warmer weather. What were you getting with your previous car doing the same commute? What was your previous car? My last car was a 4-cylinder 150 HP turbo VW Passat. My lifetime average for the car was about 26 MPG, but my short commute meant that my winter averages would drop as low as 22 MPG. So I'm still doing better with my TCH. Don't be fooled into thinking the 4 cylinder Camry would do as well in your current driving climate. I doubt it would. (If you're REALLY bothered, rent a 4 cylinder Camry for a week and see how you do with it.) Best wishes.

Be sure to check your tire pressure! & Don't top off your tank as you may be forcing some gas out to the ground. Finally, read some of the driving tips here--if you're pulling away from a stop like a snail in winter, you're probably hurting your MPG.

Originally Posted by egurr
I was just sick of stopping at the gas station to fill up my car. It's cold in the winter and I was standing outside once every three or four days. Don't let anyone kid you, that Hummer was a fantastic car, just too time consuming filling up all the time. I'm up to almost 29 in the Camry, but I have had to turn the heat off for the most part.
My first two tanks were in the mid-20's. I'm in Chicago, and I think we are rivaling you for a cold winter!

My third tank was driven in "warmer" weather, mid 20's, and I got it up to about 34.

I think learning how to drive the hybrid has a great deal to do with gas mileage as well, especially when it's cold. I've turned on the ECO with some gas mileage improvements. The tire pressure increase should make a difference as well. I haven't done it yet on my car, but I have a friend with a Prius, and he says it makes a 4-5 MPG difference on that car.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am hoping to take a trip after I get my new TCH. However, I would like some input on how many miles I should have before highway driving and if I do highway driving within that limit how much damage I could do or if any of this really matters on the grand scheme of things? Some mild highway driving is almost impossible for me avoid.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Is this actually a concern? I took a trip down to Grand Forks, about 4-5 hours of highway, a couple of days after I got the car. Conventional wisdom in my family is that a highway trip helps to "shake it down" when you get a new car. Of course, my family and I are mechanical dolts, so...

Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 AM
SPL

mikieboyblue — The Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is achieved by the use of a planetary gear set that combines the ICE's and MG1's outputs. As a consequence, even when you drive at a constant speed, the ICE's speed is varying all the time as a function of road conditions and accelerator demands. This means that, even with the cruise control on, the ICE is not being kept at a constant rpm all the time. Moreover, the ICE's speed stays in the moderate range of 1000 - 3000 rpm unless you tromp on the accelerator. This being so, I see no need to do anything more than to avoid excessive acceleration for the first ~1000 miles, as the Owner's Manual suggests.

Stan

Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I'm betting it is fairly warm wherever he is! And perhaps he has a long commute also. I was getting 37 MPG on my daily 7 mile each-way commute in the warmer weather. My last tank was 29.2! (I did manage a 37+ MPG tankful last week, but it was mostly highway mileage at 45-50 degrees F). I'm sure that spring will bring my average back up.
I think the long commute might help quite a bit. I've got 192 miles on my new TCH, which is representative of only going home from the dealership and to/from work for one day. My average after these two days -- both about 65 degrees -- has been 38.2. Considering I just traded-in my 5.7L Hemi engine (surrounded by a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland), I couldn't be happier with the mileage.