Dash Misalignment at the Corners

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dash Misalignment at the Corners

When I brought my TCH in for service and to check a clunk in the steering column (unsurprisingly, verdict is that I need a new ISS, part is ordered), I also asked them to take a look at the side of my dash unit, which is misaligned. Basically, over by the pillar it pops up maybe an inch or so more than it should. It should be flush. The speakers aren't quite flush either.

Dealer said that they are seeing this a lot on all model Camry's and that their techs have spent hours trying to fix it and can't. They've even taken apart whole dashes just to see if they can tell what's causing the problem but nada. They do not recommend a whole dash replacement (risks squeaks and rattles).

At 24k my TCH has actually been completely free of rattles and squeaks, so that's not a huge concern for me and I certainly don't want them tearing up my dash.

However, they did say that they've written Toyota about the problem and are trying to get engineering help on how to fix it and what's causing it. They've asked Toyota to put out a TSB if they can figure it out. I'm concerned because at the mileage I drive, I'll be out of warranty at 6 months if the TSB does come down the line.

Have others seen this problem?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dash Misalignment at the Corners

I can't say I've noticed the problem I'll look next time I drive the car.

If it was identified as a problem by you to the dealer before the warranty is up and is not fixed does the warranty not continue for that item until it is fixed?

Warranty items used to work this way but it's a long time since I bought a "new" car, so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

my dash is misaligned, "A" pilar covers don't fit right, speakers don't fit flush, etc. The "dash cover" curls up near the ends. If they don't issue a TSB on interior fit and squeeks and rattles, this'll be my last Toyota.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MFLetou — Can you provide a photo showing your dash's deformation? I'm at a loss to understand just where this is. I don't see any in mine.

Stan

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Dazed and Confused

Every Camry I have seen has the dash "curled" up at the pillers by the speakers. It drives me crazy that it is not flush there, but I have learned to live with it.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

This last post forced me to go out to the garage to look..................I can not see anything wrong. Am I just lucky or looking in the wrong place......

Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looked again, near speakers, perfect.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey--
Not sure if I'll be able to post a pic anytime soon, but here's my update--

Spoke to the service manager (this is a very high volume Northern VA Toyota dealership). He said that they have had complaints about this and took apart an entire vent unit and dash to see if they could find a cause. They can't.

They estimate that MOST new Camry's have this problem. There might be a few that don't, but sure enough, I went and looked at their new inventory and every single camry I looked at it--be it Hybrid, XLE or otherwise--had the same non-flushed look by the drivers side vent. Some were more pronounced than others.

As of now, it is within Toyota's norms for the part. It may expand or contract a little due to temperature. There is not a TSB on this and it has not been corrected at production, meaning that current 07 Camry's are being shipped with the same problem. We'll have to see what the 08s look like.

So for now, live with it is the only answer. If there is a fix, than we'll have to see.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MFLetou — But up an inch?! My dash is up maybe 1 mm around the driver's side air vent. Was this a typo in your original post? That's what confused me. It would be nice if it were flush, but I don't see this as a significant problem.

Stan

Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Mine is fine. There are angles and crevices, but it's symettrical. What's not to love?

Quick Reply: Dash Misalignment at the Corners

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands