View Poll Results: (Please tell the truth) When I am driving, most of the time...
I keep my cell phone turned off
14.49%
I use my cell phone using my car's blue tooth system
78.26%
I use my cell phone with a wireless headset
0%
I use my cell phone with a wired headset
2.90%
I use my cell phone by holding it up to my head
1.45%
Other
2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Dialing and Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dialing and Driving

Originally Posted by haroldo
I don't have any scientific proof of this, but I noticed that I am more distracted when talking on the bluetooth system than I am when talking with someone in the car. Not sure what it is, but I believe talking on a cell phone requires a higher degree of concentration than talking with people next to you.
I may be nuts, but there is no question, my reaction time and reflexes are definitely affected.
Which brings up an interesting point. Those who know they are not capable of doing some functions while driving should take personal responsibility. This of course does not happen much.

(I don't mean to infer anything about you )

Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 PM

I use software over ride to make a phone call if I have too , but honestly keep cell phone talking while driving to bare minimum, even if somebody calls me, so if I have 3-4 phone calls in a week while driving it's a lot and I spend a lot of time driving, about 15-20 hrs a week. I know talking on the phone distracts me from paying full attention to traffic and I don't believe anybody saying otherwise, especially that I drive a lot and driving is second nature to me and it's still affecting my concentration.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmmmm.....

I find the voice recognition works great. (Dial 123-4567) It's much faster and easier than using either the phone pad or the dialer on the screen.

Later!

Dang

Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dang
Hmmmmm.....

I find the voice recognition works great. (Dial 123-4567) It's much faster and easier than using either the phone pad or the dialer on the screen.

Later!

Dang
I can never get my woman to do it without saying "dial by number" or "dial by name." I want to just be able to say "dial ........" (name or number).....

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Pragmatist

I have my car mated with my phone via bluetooth, and I have programmed a few speed dials into the car, so technically I use the phone with the bluetooth. But I don't think I have made more than a half dozen calls, all total, from this car. And most of those were "I'm leaving ____ now, be home in about ___ minutes." It's just too dangerous to have a phone conversation while driving.

Anyone who doesn't believe it is dangerous should read some of the peer-reviewed journal articles on the subject. A good place to begin is http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/

Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right..... I forgot about the "dial by number" part. Still better than poking the screen mind you, and I've found the best voice recognition is if you just talk normally and don't wait for the computer to display the number.

....yes, agree with SteveHansen, any form of call, handsfree or not, tends to distract the driver.

Dang

Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think about 50% of your pollers are lying. That's just an opinion, based on how many dolts I see looking down in their laps trying to dial a cell phone - or worse, texting, every single day.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by elsifer
I think about 50% of your pollers are lying. That's just an opinion, based on how many dolts I see looking down in their laps trying to dial a cell phone - or worse, texting, every single day.
Well that's a bit bold. What did you pick?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't use a cell phone while I'm driving. You?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 AM

The Bluetooth hookup is great. The other day, I tried dialing a call (from handheld, the car was stationary) as soon as I powered up the car. The call was connected before the BT system could recognize the phone, so the call stayed on the handheld. After that, pairing was disconnected and it took me 20 minutes to re-pair (I have a Palm Treo which does not pair easily with Toyotas).
It's awful not having BT (I am spoiled by it)
Lesson of the day...make sure system is powered fully before attempting to make a call.

Quick Reply: Dialing and Driving

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands