View Poll Results: (Please tell the truth) When I am driving, most of the time...
I keep my cell phone turned off
14.49%
I use my cell phone using my car's blue tooth system
78.26%
I use my cell phone with a wireless headset
0%
I use my cell phone with a wired headset
2.90%
I use my cell phone by holding it up to my head
1.45%
Other
2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Dialing and Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dialing and Driving

Originally Posted by elsifer
I don't use a cell phone while I'm driving. You?
I use the car's hands-free. Prior to having that, yes, I held the phone to my ear or used my wired headset. While talking was never an issue for me, the dialing of the number was. I find the hands-free system easier but because you have to go through so many commands (3 - 4 steps for what should be 1) it is only a little "safer" than dialing by hand (assuming you know where the numbers are).

That said, sure, any distraction while driving is bad.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
The Bluetooth hookup is great. The other day, I tried dialing a call (from handheld, the car was stationary) as soon as I powered up the car. The call was connected before the BT system could recognize the phone, so the call stayed on the handheld. After that, pairing was disconnected and it took me 20 minutes to re-pair (I have a Palm Treo which does not pair easily with Toyotas).
It's awful not having BT (I am spoiled by it)
Lesson of the day...make sure system is powered fully before attempting to make a call.
That's funny. It must be because of the Treo. My LG VX8700 pairs instantly and flawlessly. If I am on a call and start up the call it instantly transfer to the car. If I am on a call and shut the car off, it instantly transfers to the phone.

Now if only the incoming caller ID worked with the VX8700 ... I don't like to answer the phone for everyone when driving and this causes me to have to look at the phone -- bad distraction.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Now, that's funny, since most (not all) of my incoming calls register on the car's display, although, I'm not sure if that is becuase they are set up as speed dials, or not. I don't get a lot of incoming calls, so most of the one's I've received have been already registered.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Now, that's funny, since most (not all) of my incoming calls register on the car's display, although, I'm not sure if that is becuase they are set up as speed dials, or not. I don't get a lot of incoming calls, so most of the one's I've received have been already registered.
When I had a treo 700wx for a week the numbers showed. There is a site out there someplace that has a list of phones and what features work with the NAV. It clearly indicates that the incoming numbers don't work with the vx8700. Which is absolutely stupid. My gf's old RAZOR works with incoming numbers!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Being stuck in traffic all the time in Socal, I make alot of conference calls from the car via the bluetooth. It is awesome.. My conference number and code is in the speed dial.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I voted other.

I don't own a cell phone and see no use for one in the future, so there is one function in the car that will be unused for quite some time to come.

Cheers
Steve

Old 02-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
When I had a treo 700wx for a week the numbers showed. There is a site out there someplace that has a list of phones and what features work with the NAV. It clearly indicates that the incoming numbers don't work with the vx8700. Which is absolutely stupid. My gf's old RAZOR works with incoming numbers!
Found this in the manual...
When receiving a phone call, the display is as follows. The display differs depending on whether or not the vehicle is in motion.

When the vehicle is stopped:
Number, name or “Incoming” is displayed.

When the vehicle is in motion:
“Incoming” is displayed.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 AM

Found this in the manual...
I am going to have to pay more attention because I get a "not supported."

If those restrictions are how is works -- give me a darn break Toyota -- why do they feel the need to keep so much from us while driving. It is only going to make me look at the phone.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:01 AM

They got sued because someone couldn't figure out how to put in a winter mat.
Imagine the lawsuits if they had a display that included caller information?
I guess their attitiude is "we told you not to look at the display" (since it wont reveal anything), "now if you want to look at your tiny phone's display, don't blame us".
The problem these days is corporations design products with class action lawyers in mind, not consumers!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:05 AM

They got sued because someone couldn't figure out how to put in a winter mat.
Imagine the lawsuits if they had a display that included caller information?
I guess their attitiude is "we told you not to look at the display" (since it wont reveal anything), "now if you want to look at your tiny phone's display, don't blame us".
The problem these days is corporations design products with class action lawyers in mind, not consumers!
Funny, after market systems provide this information. The non-NAV BT in the RAV shows the incoming number while moving (so my memory seems to think).

I guess I will end up seriously injured or dead from fumbling around to find my phone because the quarter second it takes to look at the NAV screen is so distracting I forgot to finish scratching my butt while driving!

Ok...no more ranting...if you can't already tell I am anti-corporate control.

Quick Reply: Dialing and Driving

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands