Dirty Door Thresholds

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dirty Door Thresholds

I know this has kind of been addressed before, but I was hoping in the 2 1/2 years since it was first posted, someone might have a solution.

The door thresholds (the part that juts out below the door sill) collect water and eventually get super dirty (especially in the winter). Does anyone have an idea about preventing this? I was thinking about weather stripping the bottom part of the door, but then again, the adhesive is very strong and would be a pain to remove. Secondly, weather stripping (silicone or rubber) may not allow the door to properly close.

I suppose this is only an aesthetic problem, but at the same time, it's annoying to have to wipe clean this area every time I was the car (or more often if it's too unsightly).

Any ideas (or solutions you've already done) would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dirty Door Thresholds

Clean the area and use a good polycoat. A wax may be ok, but usually attracts dust. Use of either would make it rather easy to clean using a moist cloth.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dirty Door Thresholds

I just leave it until the winter is over. With the constant snow, salt, and mud, you would drive yourself insane trying to clean it. Once spring comes, you should have no trouble cleaning it. That said, mine does not seem to get that dirty. You are talking about the part "under" the door more on the exterior correct?

I find the inside portion, near the trunk release gets much dirtier.