Dirty water sitting on door threshold when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Dirty water sitting on door threshold when it rains

Got to drive the TCH for the first time in the rain yesterday and noticed that when getting out of the car you have to make sure not to get your pants leg wet or dirty from water that collects on the outer part of door sill.

Just wondering if others have noticed this also. Kind of a pain and I am going to ask the dealer about it, can only imagine the response I am going to get. But it seems like there should be some sort of weather striping or other material used to keep water from collecting there. Even if they had sloped the metal it would make it so the water does not collect there.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Dirty water sitting on door threshold when it rains

Originally Posted by 12punch
Got to drive the TCH for the first time in the rain yesterday and noticed that when getting out of the car you have to make sure not to get your pants leg wet or dirty from water that collects on the outer part of door sill.

Just wondering if others have noticed this also. Kind of a pain and I am going to ask the dealer about it, can only imagine the response I am going to get. But it seems like there should be some sort of weather striping or other material used to keep water from collecting there. Even if they had sloped the metal it would make it so the water does not collect there.
I have driven thru downpours and have never seen the problem you describe. Sounds like the water isn't able to drain off. The dealer should be able to identify the problem. Is it on all doors or just one?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface

It's because the paint is new the water beads nicely in this area. Once the paint wears in a bit the water won't bead anymore so less water to get picked up by pant legs. Just remember not to wax this little area or the water will bead again.

The Toyota Canada web site offers "Door Sill Protectors" which may also help this as well as protect the paint in this area. I don't know if Toyota US sells these or not. I thought they were kind of expensive so didn't bother myself so not exactly sure what they are made of...

Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Had another look, the door sill protectors only cover the plastic, but they do add a neat "Camry" graphic to the car's entry. Anyone actually have these to show what they really look like. Here's a drawing showing them (poorly) in the car...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...9/doorsill.jpg

Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Took a picture of where the water is collecting. May show up more due to my car being Super White.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...8/DSC00672.JPG

Yes it is the same on all doors.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Camry Hybrid Owner

Same with my Jasper Pearl. Dirty water in the door threshold.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by 12punch
Took a picture of where the water is collecting. May show up more due to my car being Super White.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...8/DSC00672.JPG

Yes it is the same on all doors.
Yep - mine does exaclty the same thing. Looks like a design flaw to me.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Another problem with the car in the rain is that the roof channels aren't that good when it comes to diverting water when you open the door or window. For the first week I had the car it rained every day and when I would open the door to get in the water would just dump onto the seat. Also when I got to work and rolled down the window to show my ID the water would just pour right in. I'm kind of used to it though because my last commuter car (a Taurus) did the same thing.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is something I've seen on all my cars with a threshold. It's more pronounced on the TCH because it's so blinkin wide compared to other cars. It appears to be a foam filled plastic gizmo, by the way, not metal.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

Hmm...maybe I should consider getting those side window wind deflectors.