Driving to Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: Driving to Mexico?

I have a close friend that was born in Mexico City. Most of my knowledge comes from him, and he would rather live in the US due to the corruption down there (not that we are much better).

From the areas I have personally seen, their way of fixing a car is to strip all the emmissions equipment and tune it to run rich. This makes a barely running car only run poor, hence an imprvement.

Now, the same community that you will be living might be much different, but I would rather buy an economical car down there for use down there.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

I used to drive my BMW there all the time, but that was only as far as Ensenada. If you go, get Mexican insurance.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Lived there for many many years, I'm practically from there... but wouldn't trust any local shop to get my TCH serviced, that's for sure! Don't get me wrong: the locals know a thing or two about cars, just like up here... maybe even more, as they have to be more self-reliant... but a Hybrid car?!?

Wait until they have them down there as well (or after your car has some years on it, and you're not as concerned if something goes wrong), then maybe reconsider.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Driving to Mexico?

There is a saying that a Mexican can fix ANYTHING with just a rubber band and a paper clip. Maybe Toyota's service departments and engineers could learn something! And let's don't forget that the color TV was invented in Mexico while the world was watching 'I Love Lucy' in black and white.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Driving to Mexico?

Before giving up on taking my TCH to Mexico I would like feedback from everybody who has had mechanical problems (excluding traffic accidents) that would make the car undrivable. Almost all the problems than I have read on this site relate to squeaks, rattles and other annoyances. I only remember one serious problem that even Toyota had trouble fixing!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

best wishes from a german living in central mexico.

my wife owns a junk-yard, I also have good contacts to the dealerships here....

about TOYOTA:

in my opinion the on top dealerships in all mexico.

Toyota was even thinking of putting the Prius on the mexican market, if they do so, i will be one of the first to buy here.

I think they will be able to serve mecanical issues (if not give a little tip = propina to the manager).. hybrid things might be difficult.

Honda is selling the Civic hybrid here as well.

Best wishes

Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Driving to Mexico?

[quote=tecis;119013]best wishes from a german living in central mexico.

my wife owns a junk-yard, I also have good contacts to the dealerships here....

about TOYOTA:

in my opinion the on top dealerships in all mexico.

Toyota was even thinking of putting the Prius on the mexican market, if they do so, i will be one of the first to buy here.

I think they will be able to serve mecanical issues (if not give a little tip = propina to the manager).. hybrid things might be difficult.

Honda is selling the Civic hybrid here as well.

[SIZE=3]Thanks for your input. You made me a bit nervous when I read your comment about your wife's junkyard, I thought for a moment you were suggesting I might need her services if something went wrong!

Last edited by Paulgw; 04-03-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

I've been traveling to Mexico for 14 years and I would never consider driving my own TCH there until Toyota is selling them and supporting the dealers with training. There is just too much risk that serious damage could be done if anything goes wrong. I'm one that has had some difficult problems with my TCH and it has taken 2 months for an excellent dealer here in the states to resolve these mostly computer related issues.

There is an excellent chance that you will at least get a bad tank of gas.

Buy and inexpensive car in the states that is common in Mexico and sell it at the end of your trip. You will probably come out even and not risk your THC. Mid size and compact US brands are all common as are Nissan, Toyota and Hundi. The higher the clearance the better to get over the many topes (speed bumps).

Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

the selling of a car in mexico with registration in United states owned by an US or canadian citizen to a mexican citizen is generally forbidden.

some mexicans know what needs to be done to legalize the car,
but as long as you come here on tourism (that means with the FM-T = tourist visa) the car is legalized on your tourist visa....

if you go back to U.S. without the car and wanna bring another car into MExico later you will have serious problems.

best wishes

FLORIAN

Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw

[size=3]Thanks for your input. You made me a bit nervous when I read your comment about your wife's junkyard, I thought for a moment you were suggesting I might need her services if something went wrong!
hehe of the camry 2007 i nearly do not have any part actually, I'm always a year behind the new models on the market..

best wishes so far..

FLORIAN

Quick Reply: Driving to Mexico?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands