Got stuck in snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got stuck in snow

I haven't tried this, but I think I saw somewhere that it is supposed to work on the Toyotas too:

http://www.lexustech.org/VDIM.htm

IS350/IS250 VDIM Cheat Code
The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excess wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the dash button, the system automatically comes back on after exceeding 30 mph. The overly protective Toyota designers probably did this to reduce our insuance rates, but it's just no fun. If Toyota wants to really compete with BMW, then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving.
If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Toyota programmed a work-around. This "cheat code" will disable the VDIM until the car is truned off.
1. Start the car with the parking brake on.
2. Keeping the parking brake on, push (or tap) the foot brake twice
3. Keeping the foot brake down, push (or tap) the parking brake twice
4. Repeat untill the sliding car warning light appears on the dash
Normally, only two cycles (foot - parking - foot - parking) are required. With practice, you can disable the VDIM in under 4 seconds.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Here's my buddy Moe for right now...

Old 03-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Here's my buddy Moe for right now...
Bummer....

Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Has anyone gotten this to work? I didn't have any luck. "Tapping" on the parking break pedal usually causes it to release.

Originally Posted by spiff72
I haven't tried this, but I think I saw somewhere that it is supposed to work on the Toyotas too:

http://www.lexustech.org/VDIM.htm

IS350/IS250 VDIM Cheat Code
The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excess wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the dash button, the system automatically comes back on after exceeding 30 mph. The overly protective Toyota designers probably did this to reduce our insuance rates, but it's just no fun. If Toyota wants to really compete with BMW, then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving.
If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Toyota programmed a work-around. This "cheat code" will disable the VDIM until the car is truned off.
1. Start the car with the parking brake on.
2. Keeping the parking brake on, push (or tap) the foot brake twice
3. Keeping the foot brake down, push (or tap) the parking brake twice
4. Repeat untill the sliding car warning light appears on the dash
Normally, only two cycles (foot - parking - foot - parking) are required. With practice, you can disable the VDIM in under 4 seconds.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Has anyone gotten this to work? I didn't have any luck. "Tapping" on the parking break pedal usually causes it to release.
I haven't tried it - I just found it on the net.

I rarely use the parking brake - does it have a hand release, or does pressing it down once it has been set release it? If it has a hand release, I would try the sequence while pulling the release so it doesn't stay applied when you release the foot pedal. (I seem to remember though, that the release method is pushing the pedal again)...

I will try it myself here when I leave work (if I remember)...