Great Deal on Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Great Deal on Mobil 1

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The oil pan plug aluminum crush washer can also be bought at Advanced and other parts stores for a lot less than the dealer.
Probably a dumb question, but how often do you replace the aluminum crush washer? It it only when needed or part of your maintenance routine?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren
Probably a dumb question, but how often do you replace the aluminum crush washer? It it only when needed or part of your maintenance routine?
My understanding is that the dealer replaces it at every oil change...

I think technically, once the washer has been crushed, it won't seal very well if reused.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ken,

To be honest about it, they can be re-used several times (at least 4 or 5) without any worries as they will still deform to seal minor differences in the mating surfaces. I still replace them at every oil change however as they are fairly cheap. I just keep a stock of M12 and M14 washers for the oil pans on the Honda's and Toyota's and several special ones on the tranny and diff drains on the Pilot.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got to tell you that I have never replaced the washers on both my son and daugher's Corolla's with 150K and 135K miles respectively with no leaks so far. I haven't looked real close but I could swear that the washer looks like some type of plastic - ever heard of that? I'll check it out the next oil change.

I do have a '02 Grand Caravan that shows some oil on the oil pan plug so I'll replace the washer the next time to see if it helps.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM

I brought my '90 Accord to a quick change oil place in the late 90s, and it was leaking after that oil change. I went underneath it and found that they used a plastic washer. They torqued down the plug so much that it completely deformed the washer to the point that part of the inside diameter was exposed, creating an exit path for the oil. I ended up going to the dealer and buying the aluminum washer, and swapped it out (burning my hands on the oil in the process).

Live and learn

Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Ken,

It will depend on the car as to the type of washer that is used. Some use an aluminum crush washer, others plastic, some a metal base with a silicone sealing surface or a metail base with a neoprene gasket and some a steel "hollow ring" style that will crush.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

When I bought my filters at the Toyota Dealer, they taped the washer (free) to the top of each filter. The price wasn't bad -- if you bought 3 the price was just a little over $4 each. Also went by Walmart today and they had a Mobile 1, 0-30W, 5 quart container, for $22. Did not see the 0-20W, 5 quart container which I believe would be preferred. The single quarts of 0-20W were $6.27 as well as the single quarts of 0-30W. So assume they may have just been out of the 0-20W in the 5 quart container and hopefully it will be $22 as well. Just curious if anyone thinks the 0-30W Mobile 1 would be too heavy when the motor is hot and thus reduce mileage? Thanks ...

Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Ken,

It will depend on the car as to the type of washer that is used. Some use an aluminum crush washer, others plastic, some a metal base with a silicone sealing surface or a metail base with a neoprene gasket and some a steel "hollow ring" style that will crush.
I just did my son's yesterday and found a metal washer with a shiny black surface which sounds like the metal with a silicone surface you described. Amazing - 150K miles and still not leaks and still does not burn any oil. Great little car to be still going strong after just turning 10 in August.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Milehghcty
When I bought my filters at the Toyota Dealer, they taped the washer (free) to the top of each filter. The price wasn't bad -- if you bought 3 the price was just a little over $4 each. Also went by Walmart today and they had a Mobile 1, 0-30W, 5 quart container, for $22. Did not see the 0-20W, 5 quart container which I believe would be preferred. The single quarts of 0-20W were $6.27 as well as the single quarts of 0-30W. So assume they may have just been out of the 0-20W in the 5 quart container and hopefully it will be $22 as well. Just curious if anyone thinks the 0-30W Mobile 1 would be too heavy when the motor is hot and thus reduce mileage? Thanks ...
Personally I would stick with the factory recommends: 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

All of the Walmarts in our area carry Mobil 1 5w-20 in the 5 qt containers. They are not putting 0w-20 in the 5 qt jugs that I know of although I wish they would ... I still have about 20 of the 5 qt containers to use up first though.

Quick Reply: Great Deal on Mobil 1

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands