Headrest uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Headrest uncomfortable?

Be careful with cushions, there are air bags inside both front seats, they have sketches in manual but it doesn't show exactly , I think they're near the top of the side of the seat , at the seem where the front piece of leather is stitched to the side and back. If there is interference , in the best case scenario the airbag won't deploy properly in case of accident.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Be careful with cushions, there are air bags inside both front seats, they have sketches in manual but it doesn't show exactly , I think they're near the top of the side of the seat , at the seem where the front piece of leather is stitched to the side and back. If there is interference , in the best case scenario the airbag won't deploy properly in case of accident.
Huh??? The bags are in the seat?? How the heck do they work?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 PM

I'm sorry, I think I was wrong, the front side seat airbags seem to be low in the side of the seat, not top, but their sketch sucks, really hard to say where exactly it is. FYI TCH has 7 airbags total, they got to be somewhere.
2 up front steering wheel and passenger dashboard, 2 inside front seats back support, 2 airbag curtains deploying from the ceiling alongside the side windows and I bet very few remember when the 7th airbag is?
Under the dash to protect driver's knees. I just hope, I never have to used them.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
I'm sorry, I think I was wrong, the front side seat airbags seem to be low in the side of the seat, not top, but their sketch sucks, really hard to say where exactly it is. FYI TCH has 7 airbags total, they got to be somewhere.
2 up front steering wheel and passenger dashboard, 2 inside front seats back support, 2 airbag curtains deploying from the ceiling alongside the side windows and I bet very few remember when the 7th airbag is?
Under the dash to protect driver's knees. I just hope, I never have to used them.
Maybe I'm missing it. But what do the airbags in the seat fire against?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Roy
Maybe I'm missing it. But what do the airbags in the seat fire against?
Side collision, is it called T-bone? There is not much to protect you there, there are no crumbling zones , like up front and back , the door is thin and there are no supporting beams to oppose forces trying to push it in . I think this supposed to protect your lower body by firing forward alongside the door, together with side curtains from top trying to protect your head. Probably it could help protect from broken hip, bruised kidneys or broken ribs. Side collision at the intersection could be much more dangerous at lower speed, than the usual oops, I'm sorry I drove inside your trunk thingy.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Before you all start bending stuff, someone try my suggestion from earlier of trying a Corolla or other Toyota headrest to see if it fits in the holes. I suspect there is a similar color in each of the models.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, if you want to see where and how the airbags deploy, here is a link to the IIHS 2007 Toyota Camry crash test video:

http://www.cartv.com/content/researc...ODEL_VCH/Camry

If you want to see a longer video from the IIHS of an overview of cars tested in their 2007 tests in general, here is a longer video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXm_-5RgFm4

For some reason, I am addicted to watching crash test videos...

Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue
Hi, if you want to see where and how the airbags deploy, here is a link to the IIHS 2007 Toyota Camry crash test video:
What's particularly interesting about the video, and in topic with the thread, is that the Camry is MARGINAL for rear impact because the head restraints (note, they are not "head rests") are not protective enough. In other words, they need better contact with the rear of the head! So any attempt to move them further back, either by bending, reversing, replacement, or adding padding to the back of the seat, only reduces their effectiveness more and increasing chance of injury.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talmy
What's particularly interesting about the video, and in topic with the thread, is that the Camry is MARGINAL for rear impact because the head restraints (note, they are not "head rests") are not protective enough. In other words, they need better contact with the rear of the head! So any attempt to move them further back, either by bending, reversing, replacement, or adding padding to the back of the seat, only reduces their effectiveness more and increasing chance of injury.
Watching the vid a few times it seems that the dummy was seated with the seat reclined a bit. The dummy's entire body was sliding reward on the seat. My problem is that I drive with the seat back straight, as such with the belt cinched I don't tend to move. The headrest with the seat in that position is making more than a little contact with the back of my head. As I said on a 12 hour trip it is **** uncomfortable, around town it is tolerable.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the link to the video. It clearly shows deficiency of the rear crash test. I could never sit with the head so far away from the headrest, the headrest pushes my head forward and makes contact at all times. If the test was performed with test subject similar to myself inside, it would be perfect score.

Quick Reply: Headrest uncomfortable?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands