Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Using your numbers, that calculates to 51.7 mpg for your 50 mile highway trip.
That's pretty decent.....

Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

I've had my TCH for 8 weeks now, and I've actually noticed a decline in my highway mileage by about 1mpg after 8 tanks (~4000 miles). I do almost 90% highway driving, commuting 100miles each day, and my commute goes up and down thru two significant elevation changes (at least 300ft each), so I'm never going to get 45+mpg like some of the people here that live in flat areas like Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. When I first got the car, the on-board display read about 38mpg while my calculations were at 37mpg, and that was with factory set tire pressure 32psi. I have since increased my tire pressure to 40psi, but my last tank was at 36mpg onboard (35mpg calculated), while driving the same route. I would have thought my driving habits would have changed enough in maximize FE (I find myself drifting more, not accelerating hard, etc) and the engine break-in to help, but it has had the opposite effect. Hopefully this is just a temporary phenomena.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

How long is long? In July, I drove from Albuquerque, NM to Las Vegas, NV and back. I set the cruise control on 65 mph both ways. My TCH averaged 42.4 mpg over the whole trip. I surmise it would not be quite that good in the winter.

Enjoy your TCH.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
joe540ci

I still haven't taken a long trip in the TCH, but we got over 46 MPG on a 70 mile trip on back roads at a 51 miles per hour average speed . Car was warm when we filled up, and I always use 0-20w oil. I guess my TCH would get over 40 mpg at 65 mph and close to or under 40mpg at 75+mpg

Last edited by JOE540CI; 01-19-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Pragmatist

In this entire discussion of mileage, it should be clear that everyones experiences are slightly different. Some people work hard to get high mileage. Some don't. Some people have long commutes on 55mph highways with no hills and no stoplights. Others have short commutes in inner-city traffic lights.

Basically, the ICE determines the mileage for long highway. The hybrid system helps to conserve energy for hills, stoplights, traffic, etc.

But the one thing that no one seems to have mentioned is the comfort factor. If you are going to spend 3+hours a day sitting in a particular chair, listening to a particular stereo, you might want them to be a comfortable chair and a nice stereo. The camry wins on those.

The honda with the smallest engine probably wins on the pure mileage for long-distance highway-only commutes. The prius probably wins on pure mileage for average driving in american urban and suburban areas... The train probably wins for the highest pure energy efficiency for long-distance commutes.

Economics is not just a matter of cost. It is a matter of value. And, the important question is: What do you value?

I like my camry. It's not just about mileage. It really is a comfortable car.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been averaging around 40mpg all around since my first oil change and it seems to be staying there now. Hopefully it will get a bit better once it warms above 40 but has been 37-39 mostly recently. Cruise control does help if it's not really going up and down hills.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
joe540ci

I would like to see a magizine test 10 new camry hybrids on the same driving conditions and see if the milage varys. I see on the milage data base that the top mpg is 48.5 and the lowest is 26.7. I am sure there driving conditions are different,but what if those two people traded cars for 6 months or so. I guess it would be nice if I knew if mine was a "good" one ,a "dog" or an average one. I remember when we were kids and all 4 of us bought the same honda 50cc scooters and one guy had one that was faster than the others.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Long trips .yeahh. I love long trips and my new (in summer of 2006), Camry Hyrbid was put to the test. Just over 5,000 miles. Indy to Amarillo, Texas and the arroyo's of Palo Duro Canyon, then to Albuquerque and north to Farmington, NM where the Camry met with some desert off-roading (Thanks to my Uncle). We visited Shiprock, NM , then on to Durango, CO., Silverton, Telluride, Ouray at nearly 11,000 feet the CH performed admirably. Then on to Grand Juntion Co. through Vernal Utah then Green River and Rock Springs, WY then to Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons, then Yellowstone where we drove every inch of Yellowston road.
After Yellowstone, we headed east on US20 to Cody, Wyoming directly through the BigHorn mountains through Sheridan and Buffalo, Wyoming to Gillette and Devil's Tower then Spearfish, Sturgis and Deadwood, SD and to Rapid City. I90 east to Sioux Falls and ending up in Minnepolis before heading back to Indianapolis.. Over 5,000 MILES!. Less than 140 gallons of GAS !
The car performed better than I ever expected.. 11,000 foot passes, switchbacks, desert and even some snow. I am happy to report it was one of the best road trips we ever had. I now have 38000 miles on my CH and the lifetime average is 36.1mpg. not too shabby.. If you email me I will be happy to share pictures of all those places my CH saw.
Happy Hyrbiding~!

Last edited by WillyBill; 01-20-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Two weeks ago I got 6.5 lit/100KM (or 36mpg US) from Ottawa to Toronto and back. About 1000 KM of driving .

Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Last week I got 46 mpg for round trip from LA to San Francisco. Kept on cruise control for trip.