How Much Is the Key Fob???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Originally Posted by WillyBill
Oh That's cool.. Seriously.. What if this happened?. Have you other owners considered this.. Is there any way to start the car without the FOB?
P.S. I know of no Toyota dealers even remotely close to where we were traveling.
I'm talking 3 hours away (If you COULD drive there).
I think this is a valid question..
Basically you're fooked. Without a working Fob a dealer can't pair an new/replacement Fob and you'd need to replace the ECU for about $1K plus the cost of the replacement Fob.
Maybe that's why no Toyota vehicle with Smartkey/Smartentry has been successfully stolen by hotwiring (heard this on a Prius forum).
I purchased a 2rd Fob for both of my Camrys. One for $270 and the 2nd one I got the dealer to throw in for gratis as a condition of the sale.
I suggested they could try pairing my spare with both cars but they were not interested in trying. I think it would work but would cause issues if I used the button to open the doors and both cars were in range simultaneously. So now I have a spare for each car squirrled away in a safe place that family members know about and could potentially overnight to me in an emergency.

I believe a dealer can generate a replacement physical key from your VIN which would enable them to gain access to the passenger and engine compartments should a complete ECU replacement become necessary.
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 09-29-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
...I think they can start the vehical also. ...
Now THAT'S scary.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How Much Is the Key Fob (Smart Key)???

I am in need of replacing a lost FOB. Can we start a thread as to the prices to replace? My local delaer (San Antonio) wants $315 for the FOB and $65 to program it, but did not mention the cutting costs. Thanks

Last edited by sds292; 01-16-2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add extra search word
Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

there's a guy on ebay selling these much cheaper than posted in this thread, and purportedly, he sends programming instructions gratis.

also called my dealer today in bloomington indiana for price comparison - his price was 48$ for the key fob and cutting it to match - plus 50$ to program it.

98$ total.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

I am not sure if that is the same guy i bought mine from or not, but his like new is NOT. It was a used FOB with the hard key already cut. The programing instructions are not for smart key cars. They are generic programming. When I took the fob to the dealership they were unable to program the fob. Some sort of internal problem. The dealership provided me with a replacement FOB at....... NO CHARGE...... There really are good dealerships!
The guy from ebay offered me a refund, so he is not all bad. But, I could not beat free of charge

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Even if OnStar can start the car, how do the release the steering lock?

I think that is a mechanical linkage that is defeated by actually turning the key.

I had a scare one day. My wife and I were at the boat delear where I was skiing behind one of their boats. I threw all my stuff in the trunk including my key, and went to ski. When I was done, I asked her where the key was and she did not know where it was. i then remembered that I had it in the trunk. Now I was worried, as i did not know if the car was locked or not. Luckily it was not locked and I could just pull the trunk release, but if it was locked, i would have been foorked.

Now I am considering keeping just the metal key part hidden somewhere under the car for emergencies like this.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

OK here is what Ive done. I took the 2nd fob and wrapped it in aluminnum foil(so the doors wont open) and hid it under the spare tire(attached by duct tape) so if I really have to ,break the small window in the back and open the back door then pop the trunk and there you go.The little window is not that expenseive to replace but I also left the hard key with my family to fedex to me overnite in case.God what a pain in the *** all this new tech. has created.If there is a flaw in this please help my thinking

Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
2nd Driver

Originally Posted by mista
...I took the 2nd fob and wrapped it in aluminnum foil ... and hid it under the spare tire ... left the hard key with my family to fedex to me overnite in case ... If there is a flaw in this please help my thinking
With prior Camrys I've always been able to find a crevice under the car in an accessible spot where a 'hard' key would fit/wedge tightly - yet not be noticeable. (Never lost any of them - and did have to use them more than once)

Haven't tried to find a similar place yet with TCH.

No need to wrap smart fob in aluminum foil - just remove battery. Can use to start car w/o battery in fob - but won't trigger door or trunk locks w/o battery.

So - hidden 'hard' key opens driver door and trunk; hidden batteryless fob starts car ... and On Your Way!

Should be able to get a separate 'hard' key cut for your TCH from dealer - so you don't have to use the one from 2nd fob. And could keep batteries in glove compartment to juice up fob after recovery and be in full operation.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

Very good Islander .I forgot the fob works that way.If you find a secure place to hide the hard key please email me

Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default How many key fobs should I receive?

I have a question. I have purchased a TCH that I am going to get tomorrow. When the salesman thought I was going to take the car yesterday he handed me the key fob and the owner's manuals, but I had driven there alone and had no way to drive 2 cars at once, so I told him I would get it this coming week. Shouldn't I receive 2 key fobs with the car? I thought 2 were standard.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands