idle speed of ICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default idle speed of ICE

Here's a quick question. When the car is idling what is your FE guage show?

I have the Canadian version so at the bottom is E, then just above that 0 and then at the very top it goes up to 30. This representing the litres of gas used per 100 km.

When my car idles it goes up to the worst FE with the dial going up to to the 30 setting, for american cars that would be equiv. to the dial going to the 0 mpg setting I believe.

I checked with the tech at the dealer and they tell me that's normal. I was wondering if it's the same for others. My car always idles up at this (terrible mileage setting) which doesn' t make sense since it should be hardly revving.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: idle speed of ICE

Mine reads at the top of the scale - or - zero MPG.

This is correct in that the car is not moving and the ICE is running. Conceptually you could idle a whole tank of fuel out of the car without turning a wheel. That is zero FE.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure what the confusion is here, but if you aren't moving but are burning any gas at all, your not exactly helping your FE

Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Electricity Guzzler

Yes, that makes sense. I'm a widget. I now remember reading that months back. thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The thing that is different from the US version is that the US car uses miles/gallon, while the Canadian uses liters/100km. The Canadian version's "worst case" reading is actually INFINITE, since when you aren't moving, your actually burning an infinite amount of fuel for every 100km traveled (because you can't travel 100km or any other distance when the car is standing still). The best case (electric-only mode) would be a reading of zero. If these cars could fold the fabric of space-time, the results would be different, of course!

For the US cars, worst case is zero miles per gallon, and the best case is INFINITE miles/gallon.