insufficient juice to power outlets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default insufficient juice to power outlets?

Has anyone else had a problem sucking enough juice out of the power outlets to run anything? This seems different from another thread here about continuous power to the outlets.

I've tried both of the outlets in the front of the vehicle on a small DVD player for the kids in the back seat. It will CHARGE the rechargeable battery in the DVD player, but there isn't enough juice to actually RUN the DVD player. The same player runs just fine when plugged into the outlets of my wife's Toyota Highlander.

I don't think it even charges my cell phone (using an after-market charger; it's not out of the question that the charger is just a piece of crap).

Advice?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: insufficient juice to power outlets?

Hmmm, seems like there's a problem somewhere in your system. I've actually had to run a splitter to power up an aftermarket GPS, cell phone charger, small DVD player and a tiny electric cooler (size of a 6 pack). All added up, I'm at about 9 amps max, and it all runs splendidly.

Have you tried both outlet locations (front compartment and center console)?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Has anyone else had a problem sucking enough juice out of the power outlets to run anything? Advice???

Bigger lips or bigger straw lol!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I've tried both the console and the dash outlets. Curiously, the dash outlet charges my iPod normally.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If all your goodies charge and run normally in your wife's car, and stuff runs out of the TCH dash outlet, plus I've had no problem sucking juice out of the console outlet (without the use of straws or lips) I think you have a service call on your hands. I'd take your stuff with you to demonstrate since if you just decribe the problem they'll probably just stuff a tester into the outlet and say it's fine.

A small correction on my previous post: max draw is less than 5 amps with all my stuff, not 9.

Good luck, let us know the resolution.