View Poll Results: Have you used K&N Air Filters
Yes, it is easy to install and maintain and it increased FE
13.51%
Yes, it is easy to install and maintain, but I haven't noticed an increase in FE
16.22%
Yes, it was hard to install and maintain, but it increased FE
2.70%
Yes, it was hard to install and maintain. I haven't noticed an increase in FE
0%
I installed it, had problems with it and no longer use it
8.11%
I never heard of it
24.32%
I am thinking of using it, not sure
35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

K&N Air Filter Survey

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default K&N Air Filter Survey

There are a few threads (K&N Air Filters and K&N Air Filters...has your FE improved) and many posts on this topic, so I figured I would set up a poll to help other users decide whether this is something that they should investigate further.
I don't know much about it, but figured this might be a good way to learn whether I should consider it or not.

I realize after setting up this survey that there might be other reusable filters. Please respond as if the question asked about the general category, rather than the specific product.

Yes, I realized I omitted NO as a choice, but I can't edit the survey, sorry!

Last edited by haroldo; 04-05-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: K&N Air Filter Survey

K&N filters are worth the extra money over the long term, in my opinion. I've not noticed any problems as of yet after many years of using them in several vehicles, including a TCH.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:01 AM

...and is it an easy task for a non-mechanic to perform?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

The poll is missing a "No" choice. I know about them and would never consider using one on any of my cars. The poll ignores the fact that these filters are controversial. Probably just another auto "snake oil" item heavily promoted by its manufacturer with claims that are unsubstantiated. Same class as oil additives (Slick 50, Bardahl, Winns Friction Proofing), water injectors, magnets on the fuel line, special spark plugs, the famous Fish carburetor, and numerous other gadgets that have been around since the start of the automobile business.

In these days of mileage and emissions goals, customer demand for more power, and long warranties (when I was a teen, one year factory warranties were the longest) if an oil impregnated oil filter offered improvements they would use them. The fact is that in 1950 all cars used these (either oil bath with a wire mesh (like a corse Brillo pad) or felt) but over the decade all domestic manufacturers had switched to the better filtering of paper. Last car I had with an oil bath filter was a 1973 VW, not exactly state of the art.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
...Yes, I realized I omitted NO as a choice, but I can't edit the survey, sorry!
Originally Posted by talmy
The poll is missing a "No" choice...
Sorry!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
...and is it an easy task for a non-mechanic to perform?
Yes, it is easy.

Let me present it this way. Have you ever replaced an air filter before in any car? If yes, then you can do this. If no, and you prefer to let your mechanic (or Jiffy Lube or whatever) change the air filter when he changes the oil, then a K&N may not be for you, because you need to remove it every 10k miles and clean it using a "recharging" kit (fancy way of saying cleaning kit).

Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 AM

I have used a K&N in other cars and a TRD reusable in this car. (Basically a K&N.) I did not notice an FE improvement but we will see for sure this summer as I had the TRD in the summer and now have a paper. When I took out the TRD It was dirty, I did not notice a lot of dirt on the back side but the TCH has a secondary charcoal filter which I am sure stops a little....

One thing I did notice was that a lot of dirt gets into the TCH intake. I had bugs and other things as well. Since this is the case I really want the best balance between filtration and performance. NAPA Gold filters are rated highly but I don't have a NAPA around here.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 is hardly a hybrid(!) but it did benefit from the K&N filter. I immediately noticed an increase in the instantaneous mpg that also showed up over time in the average mpg. An increase of 0.7 mpg may not seem like much but when it is coupled with the ability to essentially install a (virtual) new filter whenever the instantaneous mpg starts falling off can make a difference over the long haul. Don't forget the savings from not purchasing disposables (2 equal the cost of the K&N), this helps make it a clear winner. I also did some things with the vehicle over time that had a much greater effect that I will describe in the appropriate threads.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I will not be adding one to my TCH. I have used drop in cleanable filters in other vehicles (1999 Mustang GT, 2003 Corvette and 2006 Mustang GT) and did not see any improvement in either performance or MPG. I did see slimy, grimy, air filter boxes though.

If rechargeable air filters reliably, consistently, improved Fuel Economy (FE) all the manufactures would be using extensively them to help meet the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. I would expect to see them as standard in the truck and SUV lines. I would also expect to see them as OEM standard in "performance cars" for the extra horse power commonly claimed by the rechargeable suppliers.

If you choose to go down this slippery path keep in mind more is not always better when it comes to filter oil. Over oiling an air filter may create a mess in your intake passages and cause you to lose performance. Some vehicles have had issues with the oil fouling the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor wires. This is not the fault of the air filter per se but rather user error. This begs the question "How much is enough oil?" which is not well addressed in the air filter instructions I have seen. If you add a rechargeable filter and over oil it any issues arising from the excess oil may not be covered by your warranty as it is a result of (mis)using an after market part...

If the long term costs of paper versus rechargeable are your main reason for going this route be careful. And don't expect your TCH to turn in to a Corvette performance wise and a Prius as far as FE...

Last edited by RedLdr1; 06-25-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had a K&N in my 99 Explorer and it helped with the mileage BUT my Explorer seemed to have just barely enough airflow with a new air filter so when it started to get dirty there wasn't enough air going in and I could see my mileage going down. In my case the K&N was easier breathing so I noticed ~10% increase in FE compared to a fresh paper filter. If the air induction on our TCHs is sufficiently sized I don't think the K&N will gain you anything.

When it was time to clean the K&N, I'd drop in a paper filter until I made the time to wash/dry/oil which took me longer than I liked (too many other things to do )

I'm going to stick with the standard paper filters in my TCH.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter Survey

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands