My path to better MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default My path to better MPGs

No problems, but I wanted to share my experience for the possible benefit of others.

I purchased a used 08 TCH in April. I was consistently getting 33-36 mpg for my first several tanks. I managed to maintain 39 mpg for 100 miles of a tank, but it took a lot of work, and I couldn't sustain it. I was 90% thrilled with mid-30's, and 10% jealous of those who have reported here that they're easily topping 40.

Based on service records, I knew that the car was using 5w20 conventional oil. So though I wasn't quite due yet, I brought the car in for an oil change. I requested 0w20 synthetic.

My next two tanks after the oil change calculated out to a very disappointing 31.2 and 32.1 mpg. After poking around here and on the Priuschat forums, I realized that they had put way too much oil in my car. I siphoned out enough to get the level just under the top indicator on the dipstick.

I'm only 150 miles into my next tank of gas, but without any particular effort, my tank average is sitting at 38.4. Even on my short 4 mile commute to/from work, I'm now able to get right around 40 mpg (previously had never topped 35 for the trip with a cold engine).

Now I'm more like 95% thrilled and 5% jealous.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My path to better MPGs

well, that's dandy and good for you, but I averaged 42.5 until I changed oil to 0w20, and it dropped right away. of course, if coincided with onset of fall weather, so there's no telling, but drop was instantaneous.

just my 2 cents. they are all different, you know. I bought mine, claimed to do 36 average by previous owner. First thing I did, as usual, was to install K&N air filter and change oil to Amsoil synthetic, and sure enough, had 38 average in about a month, slowly climbing into 42.5. Until I did that 0w20 oil change and winter came about.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm am getting 33-36 as are you. My tires are pumped up as well (not over limit). And I have short commute. I have an oil change coming up here soon as well and will pay close attention and report back.

I have a KN (purchased after talking with Ukrkoz and Panama Jack) but have not put it in yet...

I love the vehicle (07 TCH) as I've added some goodies such as the stock OEM nav screen with working consumption and energy screens as well as a backup camera and lockpick Nav override (enter address while moving---passenger of course)

-Mike

Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM

hey Mike, long time..

I am closing on 38 long term mpg ( I reset data on nav last October and did not touch it ever since) and fluctuate between 40.5-42.5 tank average. I'll prolly have 39 by September on long term average.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 PM

My gas mileage tips. Slow down, try driving 40 to 45 mph with cruise when possible. Easier take offs (if it's safe) till you reach your speed. Long coast to stops and red lights. Remember, when sitting still and the engine is running your getting 0 mpg. Another overlooked, is when driving around in a large parking lots your only getting 5 mpg. Try to help the car charge the traction battery before entering a large parking lot. Cutting the fan to low on the AD also helps, with a not so ice cold temp setting.

Here below are details of how I achieve my 50+ mpg over the years.

I have a '07 TCH and one summer when the car was rather new (5000 miles) I changed to mobile one 0W-20 oil, I gained 2 mpg. I always use a top tier gas from the toptiergas.com/ web site retailers list, usually Chevron or Phillips 66. That's probably worth 1 or 2 mpg increase, but never compared it to the other, because I want to keep my injectors and valves as clean as possible for better mpg. I always use the toyota oem factory air and oil filters.

I picked up 8% or more mpg when I put on a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires in September a few years ago. I actually came out with 10% mpg improvement once I had about 300 miles on them. I do run 44 psi (cold) in the tires. I use nitrogen in my tires as it suppose to help them last longer and improve mpg. I can't tell other than they still are holding the same 44 psi now for a year and a few months. I only check them at night after they have cooled off for maybe 3 hours. Somehow they seem to ride smooth even being at max pressure.

My average is 52.5 mpg since my car was new. My best is 63.6 mpg at 832 miles on a tank. Their was almost no wind on a 85 degree month with about 5% humidity for that tank. I won't try risking running out of gas again like I did on this and maybe one other tank.

I do use the mfd readout for my mpg readings. Subtract 1 1/2 mpg for a simulated calculated reading.

Back to oil. I usually change my own. I put 4 1/4 and sometimes 4 1/2 quarts in which works for me.

I get high mpg from driving between 35 and 45 mph always using the cruise. I pick up extra mpg on the 1.6 miles on a paved country road from the main highway to our house. I drive that at 25 mph on batteries in one direction again using the cruise. The 4 lane El Paso highway not that traveled is 8 miles from town to home. I can run batteries (EV mode) up to 3 miles before the engine starts. Driving toward town the engine runs, but at 45 mph sometimes it shows 50 to 60 mph other than near town (very slight grade) it drops to 47 mpg. Seems like the city driving pulls my highway mpg down, but overall still comes out with a good overall mpg at fill-up time. I usually fill at 1/4 tank which is ever 4 weeks. We don't drive other than to town and back putting maybe 8750 miles yearly on the clock. It's still near new at 35K.

Most of my tanks are 50 to 55 mpg. I did have a few this winter at 48 mpg. I try to go to town when it's daylight and warmer during the winters. At night during the summer so as not to have to run the AC unless it's to a doctors appointment. You can probably tell, I'm retired and old. lol

For locations, I live near Alamogordo, NM between Fort Hood and Holloman AFB. White Sands Memorial Park is 15 miles west of our house. It's pretty flat out here in southern new mexico due to area being in a desert. As I have said many times, the low humidity and warm temperatures is why it's easier for me to keep getting the higher mpg.

Remember even if your getting 35 mpg, your getting much, much higher average mpg then others driving gas-only cars.

my 60 tanks and mpg listings, car name is white lightning.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/5583.html

Hope this helps,

Jim

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM

I have no reason to doubt. But after well over a year of owning one and VERY FRUGAL driving techniques, I DO NOT AND WILL NOT believe that this car is capable of anything close to 50mpg, least to say - 60. If it was, it'd have been trumpeted by Toyota on every corner. Even in their wildest dreams they marketed it only as 42 mpg, and that was proven wrong either and knocked down to 35 now.
So, like I said - and I know how to take a picture of her "doing 99mpg" on nav display - it's a Prius (maybe) mileage, not Camry.
rburto, please, do not take it personally or feel offended. If you happen to have some sort of a miracle, good for you. I am very glad for you, god bless and god speed. Personally - I shall never ever believe this mpg. Takes computer hacks and driving with bare foot and big toe to get PRIUS to above 60 mpg. Sorry. I spoke.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

A lot depends on your commute. Unless it's really hot outside, I've never gotten a 40 MPG trip on a highway trip under ten miles. I've gotten several 40 MPG tanks under my belt and I don't even drive a hybrid.

But like all things, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I have no reason to doubt. But after well over a year of owning one and VERY FRUGAL driving techniques, I DO NOT AND WILL NOT believe that this car is capable of anything close to 50mpg, least to say - 60. If it was, it'd have been trumpeted by Toyota on every corner. Even in their wildest dreams they marketed it only as 42 mpg, and that was proven wrong either and knocked down to 35 now.
So, like I said - and I know how to take a picture of her "doing 99mpg" on nav display - it's a Prius (maybe) mileage, not Camry.
rburto, please, do not take it personally or feel offended. If you happen to have some sort of a miracle, good for you. I am very glad for you, god bless and god speed. Personally - I shall never ever believe this mpg. Takes computer hacks and driving with bare foot and big toe to get PRIUS to above 60 mpg. Sorry. I spoke.
The biggest factor I have found in my increase in mpg, is the very dry, mostly sunny ever day out here were I live. Another possible factor is this desert we live in is at 4200 feet elevation. Winds most of the time are 5 to 8 mph or less.

I have owned 4 different cars out here in the last 12 years. These are combined mpg readings.

'94 Corolla, 38-40 mpg
'03 Corolla, 40-42 mpg
'05 Ford Five Hundred, large car with a V6 engine. 35-38 mpg. This car weighed the same as my TCH with very similar power but wasn't a hybrid.

My suggestion to increase your mpg, try driving at 40 mph with cruise on when driving on any slight down grades or level areas where the EV mode might come on. I drive no faster than 45 mph even on the highway to town. It's a 4-lane divided highway with little traffic with the exception of Friday nights. I get in the right lane and enjoy the view including some nearby mountains on the drive to town. At night on the way home if I see two cars side by side 1/4 mile behind me, I flash the hazard lights maybe 2 blinks to warn them i'm going slow. It is a 55 zone till our turnoff then it's upped to 70 mph on to El Paso.

The TCH don't do well on trips. I used to go to a doctor about 80 miles from here. I would get 47-48 mpg on the trip to the doctor and back with the AC on. I would drive 60 mph again using the cruise. It's easy to see here the mpg is better when driving around 40 to 45 mph than at 60. Lots more wind resistance at 60 and way more at 70 than at 45.

Again I think the dry air out here and the thinner air due to the elevation is the reason for these higher mpg readings when driving slow.

The toyota tech at the dealer says he can up the timing on the older models to increase the mpg due to our elevation. My thinking is that the ECU in the TCH does this for us as needed.

I have talked to two ladies, one owns a '07 TCH and without trying gets 40 mpg. The other owns a older Prius down our road and she told me she gets in the mid 40's driving the same highway and town as I do. She did admit she don't easy foot the car like I do.

Their are times at night I see the engine drop to 1280 rpm (scangauge) and the TCH mpg meter, reading around 55 mpg. It's amazing how this Atkins cycle engine turning such low rpms at 45 mph with the cruise on where the highway is level and sometimes even on a slight upgrade.

My wife bought a 2010 Ranger stretch cab pickup. It's got a newer designed 4-cyl engine and uses a automatic transmission. It's noted by Ford to get rather high mpg for a small pickup. Once broke in around 3500 miles she was getting 27-28 mpg. At 5000 miles she gets 28 to 29 with the AC running. During the Spring without the AC she has done 30 mpg on a few tanks. She uses Phillips 66 regular gas, 5W-20 motorcraft synthetic blend of oil. OEM tires inflated to 33 psi due the the truck plys. The truck when new came with nitrogen in the tires.

My wife always drives her cars and now truck slow and she want's me to also drive slow and out here and it's rather easy to do that. When we lived in Garland and Dallas in the '90's I got around 35 to 38 mpg. That was when I was driving the old '94 Corolla round on the freeways and in city traffic. I use Michelin tires on most of my cars including the older Corolla.

I find I get my highest mpg during the Spring of the year and Fall seems to work even better for me as it's longer and no need for the AC. Windy days as you know really hurts the mpg.

I been driving for mpg starting back in the mid 60's. I use to air the tires to max, then set the ignition timing way up till the engine would ping if you gave it a little to much gas. I could then get 4 to 8 more mpg out of my car at the time over the stickers mpg for highway. Can't do that on these new all computerized cars, but we must admit these cars do get excellent combined mpg for their size and weight.

Remember, keep your ECO activated, AC on recirculate and during he winter, heat = recirculate off.

rburt07

Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 AM

Looks like the government is again trying to push for higher mpg from the car manufactures.

you can click the graph to see the propose mpg increase for the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/bu...lines&emc=tha2

Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
My gas mileage tips. Slow down, try driving 40 to 45 mph with cruise when possible. Easier take offs (if it's safe) till you reach your speed. Long coast to stops and red lights. Remember, when sitting still and the engine is running your getting 0 mpg. Another overlooked, is when driving around in a large parking lots your only getting 5 mpg. Try to help the car charge the traction battery before entering a large parking lot. Cutting the fan to low on the AD also helps, with a not so ice cold temp setting.

Here below are details of how I achieve my 50+ mpg over the years.

I have a '07 TCH and one summer when the car was rather new (5000 miles) I changed to mobile one 0W-20 oil, I gained 2 mpg. I always use a top tier gas from the toptiergas.com/ web site retailers list, usually Chevron or Phillips 66. That's probably worth 1 or 2 mpg increase, but never compared it to the other, because I want to keep my injectors and valves as clean as possible for better mpg. I always use the toyota oem factory air and oil filters.

I picked up 8% or more mpg when I put on a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires in September a few years ago. I actually came out with 10% mpg improvement once I had about 300 miles on them. I do run 44 psi (cold) in the tires. I use nitrogen in my tires as it suppose to help them last longer and improve mpg. I can't tell other than they still are holding the same 44 psi now for a year and a few months. I only check them at night after they have cooled off for maybe 3 hours. Somehow they seem to ride smooth even being at max pressure.

My average is 52.5 mpg since my car was new. My best is 63.6 mpg at 832 miles on a tank. Their was almost no wind on a 85 degree month with about 5% humidity for that tank. I won't try risking running out of gas again like I did on this and maybe one other tank.

I do use the mfd readout for my mpg readings. Subtract 1 1/2 mpg for a simulated calculated reading.

Back to oil. I usually change my own. I put 4 1/4 and sometimes 4 1/2 quarts in which works for me.

I get high mpg from driving between 35 and 45 mph always using the cruise. I pick up extra mpg on the 1.6 miles on a paved country road from the main highway to our house. I drive that at 25 mph on batteries in one direction again using the cruise. The 4 lane El Paso highway not that traveled is 8 miles from town to home. I can run batteries (EV mode) up to 3 miles before the engine starts. Driving toward town the engine runs, but at 45 mph sometimes it shows 50 to 60 mph other than near town (very slight grade) it drops to 47 mpg. Seems like the city driving pulls my highway mpg down, but overall still comes out with a good overall mpg at fill-up time. I usually fill at 1/4 tank which is ever 4 weeks. We don't drive other than to town and back putting maybe 8750 miles yearly on the clock. It's still near new at 35K.

Most of my tanks are 50 to 55 mpg. I did have a few this winter at 48 mpg. I try to go to town when it's daylight and warmer during the winters. At night during the summer so as not to have to run the AC unless it's to a doctors appointment. You can probably tell, I'm retired and old. lol

For locations, I live near Alamogordo, NM between Fort Hood and Holloman AFB. White Sands Memorial Park is 15 miles west of our house. It's pretty flat out here in southern new mexico due to area being in a desert. As I have said many times, the low humidity and warm temperatures is why it's easier for me to keep getting the higher mpg.

Remember even if your getting 35 mpg, your getting much, much higher average mpg then others driving gas-only cars.

my 60 tanks and mpg listings, car name is white lightning.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/5583.html

Hope this helps,

Jim
Congradulations Jim, those are some great numbers!

Quick Reply: My path to better MPGs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands