My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

I just got my oil changed today at about 2550 miles, and I asked what oil they use. They then popped the hood, and pointed to the fill cap, and said I could choose the 5W20 conventional for $20 something, or I could go with the 0W20 synthetic for $44 and change. I choose the 0W20, they then grabbed the oil, and showed me the oil that was to be used WITHOUT me asking to see it. It was toyota branded full synthetic oil in a red bottle. They even had the whole oil changed in about 15 minutes at lunch time. I know I could have done it cheaper myself, but for such convienence when I was going from a job site to the office, you just can't beat that.

FYI, this was Sterling McCall in Houston.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Question Re: My Toyota dealers answer to my Oil Change Question

Originally Posted by ag4ever
FYI, this was Sterling McCall in Houston.
Thanks Ag4ever!

For those in the Houston area: can any of you share oil change experiences with other dealers around town, specifically Joe Myers or Fred Haas? Pls PM me so that this thread doesn't get "hijacked", thanks beforehand.

- Signed: ex-TeaSip, I'm afraid...

Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Update from am earlier post re: this subject:
My dealer invoice stated that 5W30 oil was used at my last interval. When I questioned the service manager about it, he said, "No, the service ticket is wrong, but they used the correct oil (5W20). Today, I am in for service and reminded the service advisor about the oil and he said. We use 5W30 because that is what is in our machine. Again, the service manager reiterated that they would used 5W20 as prescribed by Toyota. I guess I'll never really know other than perhaps 1-3mpg in FE.
If you can't get a straight answer from the dealer and the service ticket isn't right you don't have much else to go on. I guess I have to take the manager's word for it. He was sincere in telling me they would use the correct oil this time.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer is far from my house, so I am likely going to take my TCH to the local JiffyLube that I have always used.

Any idea if they carry the 0w20 oil, or even 5w20?

I think they have Penzoil products.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

My dad used penzoil for most of his life, and it is a oil that keeps an eninge clean, but I have discovered that those same detergents that keep the engine clean also eat the seals.

Since I have stopped using penzoil, my cars have experienced less oil leakage. Just a thought.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Wow, your dealer had an "orientation" for new owners! I'd only go back kickin' and screaming for anything other than warranty work or parts! But, hey... if they offered decent food/refreshments, then I'd be more swayed to go back. The SAs should also know the right viscosities -- but most cannot tell you what a a master cylinder does!!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks ag4ever,

At one time, JiffyLube would let you bring your own oil, and they would change it for you for a slightly reduced rate. If they still do this, then maybe I can just bring some Mobile 1 0W20. Since my car has not even been delivered to me yet, I guess I can take my time figuring this one out.

I changed my own oil for about 20 years. I made a big mess once, and since then, I don't want to bother with it anymore.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My dealership will also change your oil and use oil that you bring. I won't rehash the whole story of my first oil change, but I did get a check in the mail for the amount I paid for the oil I brought and an email from the Inventory Manager on the sales side telling me that from now on the dealership will be stocking Mobile 1 0W-20 .

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

Martin, I don't know if you were refering to me about the "orentation" as I don't think I posted about it (at least in this thread). Sterling McCall did have a new owner's orientation to get us familiar with the sevice department and quick service department (ie quick lube). They had sodas, cookies, and finger foods (nothing I really wanted), in all honesty it was waste of time. I don't personally agree with some of the statements said by the service manager (he is an old school low tech car kind of guy, I am sure I could have a great conversation about a '70 cuda or '66 'stang, but these new cars are not old tech). On the other hand I was impressed with the quick lube manager. A younger fellow who seems to run a top notch operation.

Abward,

I still make a mess when changing the oil in my truck, but if I paid for that oil change it would run north of $100 (not using synthetic) since it uses 4 gallons of oil and the filter is $10 at the parts shop. I guess if you don't spill some with that much oil involved, just just are not trying hard enough. The biggest mess I made was changing the trans fluid in the truck. I think about 2 quarts were sprayed on the driveway. It was not a bunch, but when spread out over 60 squrae feet of concrete it looks like gallons and gallons of it. The next biggest mess was when the engine dumped it's four gallons of oil while I was driving down the road. The ford diesel engine uses the engine oil run through a high pressure pump to fire the diesel injectors (oil pressures in the range of 10,000 to 15,000 psi). There is a couple rubber o-rings that seal the hose carring this high pressure oil from the pump to the injectors and the oil has a habit of eating these orings. When this happens the oil is sparyed all over the engine, and dumps the oil in about the distance of 5 miles at 40 MPH. The only good thing is the engine won't run the injectors w/o oil and the oil pump for lubricating the rotating assembly still has pressure even if the high pressure system does not, so the engine will die long before any bearing damage is done. The bad thing is it leaves a trail of oil about a foot wide right up to the front of your truck.