NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

When I first started messing with the Nav system, I thought the DST on and off option allowed you to have the Nav system automatically adjust to DST (like everything else). I soon realized that all it does when it's ON is change the clock an hour ahead and when it's OFF it reverts back to the original time (according to your timezone).

I don't understand why Toyota just didn't have it automatically change when you have DST ON

Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by tnsig
I don't understand why Toyota just didn't have it automatically change when you have DST ON
Because they would have to have incorporated the Olson Database Tables into the NAV unit. The code to do DST rules is complex and you'd have to supply your specific location to really do it right. Plus evertime our lawmakers changed the rules you'd need a firmware update at $200+ a pop.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Because they would have to have incorporated the Olson Database Tables into the NAV unit. The code to do DST rules is complex and you'd have to supply your specific location to really do it right. Plus evertime our lawmakers changed the rules you'd need a firmware update at $200+ a pop.
Nevertheless it still would have been nice

Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Nevertheless it still would have been nice
Ye a lot of things would be nice but for now just "push the **** button" twice a year.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

BTW, because GPS knows absolutely exact time and keeps synchronizing it, is there any way to see this exact time? If the information is there, why not showing it to the driver?

It is unexplainable why the inaccurate regular clock is not synchronized with the exact GPS clock. Probably Toyota marketing department wanted to keep the TCH low, not encroaching the Lexus territory. The same is true about the seemingly irrational omission of fog lights, backup camera, all-way-up driver-side window, etc.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jirik
BTW, because GPS knows absolutely exact time and keeps synchronizing it, is there any way to see this exact time? If the information is there, why not showing it to the driver?

It is unexplainable why the inaccurate regular clock is not synchronized with the exact GPS clock. Probably Toyota marketing department wanted to keep the TCH low, not encroaching the Lexus territory. The same is true about the seemingly irrational omission of fog lights, backup camera, all-way-up driver-side window, etc.
If Toyota gave you everything on the list then you'd **** and moan you want "parking assistant". Where will it stop?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

When I first started messing with the Nav system, I thought the DST on and off option allowed you to have the Nav system automatically adjust to DST (like everything else). I soon realized that all it does when it's ON is change the clock an hour ahead and when it's OFF it reverts back to the original time (according to your timezone).

I have gone through several GPS's and have never seen one that changes the time automatically. It works with GMT and lets the user decide which time zone to display and whether that time is an hour off due to DST.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM

[quote=schmidtj;115578]Ye a lot of things would be nice but for now just "push the **** button" twice a year.[/quote

LOL...take a deep breath, it's going to be OK...really

Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Lol! :d

Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Reminder to all. Still forgetting after all these years.