New Hybrid Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Hybrid Purchase

Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum, but by no means new to it! I've unfortunately not been in the market for a vehicle until recently so I've been doing my research and must say this website really was helpful! I was hoping I could get some advice from everyone about my upcoming purchase and see what you guys think.

Right now I'm looking into buying my first car which I have decided will be a used Camry Hybrid. I have two cars in mind but can't seem to make up my mind as to which one to go for.

The first vehicle is a 2007 model (50th anniversary... not sure if that makes any difference) with 57,000KM on it and the premium package with navigation and leather etc. This was a US vehicle leased by Toyota to one owner in Cherry Hill New Jersey and then imported into Canada. I saw the carfax and carproof for this car which indicated it had been in an accident involving the front right bumper. The original owner collided with a parked car. That was the only issue I have found for this car, which is otherwise spotless. The car has been fully detailed and has absolutely no stone chips or anything that I was able to find. Its pristine which I found shocking considering the accident it had been in. It is being sold through an independent dealer that sells other high end vehicles such as BMW, Mercedes etc... but the other vehicles are generally high milage, 60,000KM+. I have been told I can get the vehicle inspected by any mechanic of my choice, so I feel comfortable with them.

The other car is a 2009 model with standard options, no extras with 55,000ish KM. It was leased to the city of Mississauga and properly maintained. This vehicle has brand new tires that still have the sprue nubs on them they are so new. It does have some stone chips on the hood and some other exterior imperfections that should be cleaned up once it is detailed, however I am unsure whether it will come out as nicely as the other vehicle has. This car is also Toyota certified as its being sold through a Toyota dealer.

I'm not sure which to go with, as I like them both!!! I was looking into getting the Toyota ECP warranty since I will be able to get a new vehicle warranty on the 2009 as its under the 60,000KM Comprehensive warranty, I'm not sure whether the 2007 would still qualify to have a new vehicle warranty sold for it. I do a lot of miles so the 200k warranty would be a bonus for sure. There is about a $2000 - $2,500 difference between the two cars, with the 2007 being cheaper.

Which one would you go with, and do you know if the 2007 would qualify for a new vehicle ECP through Toyota?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Hybrid Purchase

As the warranty will only get you up to 100,000 miles (not sure what the KM equivalent is) don't overpay for this. If you self insure (that is, eat the cost of repairs) you might spend less than the cost of the warranty, so caveat emptor.
Now as far as which is better, clearly the 2009 will hold its value better as it's a newer car, but it's been driven a lot of miles in a short period of time, so even though it's been maintained, since it's a municipal car, it might not have had the same TLC that a single owner sold car might have had.
The cars are essentially similar, so if the cars are both in the same shape with the same miles, I'd buy the less expensive car.
My 2008 is like new, so I wouldn't fear a 2007.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply haroldo! I appreciate your advice. I had noticed very few differences between the 2007, 2008 and 2009 TCHs. The only difference I had noticed was the standard sunroof on the 2009 model, but since the 2007 has the premium package it already comes with that feature. Has anyone noticed any other differences between the years, or maybe had some further advice for me?

Thanks again =)

Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Any differences are cosmetic, at best...it's the same car.
The 07 and 08 were identical. They rushed out the 09 very early in 08 (the 08 was only on the market for a few months) so, there wasn't much of a change, if any.
"Certified Used" is a gimmick (IMHO) that's not worth paying up too much for.
Around here, the 'Certified' label will cost you $2000 more than a comparable car...but that simply means you're prepaying up to $2000 of repairs.
The cars are well made and I doubt you'll spend that much in mechanical repairs up to the warranty limit.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It all boils down to personal preference, go with your gut feeling.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the forum.

We have a 2008 TCH and we love it.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much guys! I went with my gut feeling and I am feeling quite happy about it! I chose the 2007 model with Navigation and Leather options. It is a US vehicle so I can even purchase the Extended Coverage warranty through Toyota from a US dealer which is $1500 cheaper than buying it here in Canada and still get it serviced in Canada! Saved me quite a bit of money!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties....