Problem with 09 TCH Best MPG Display & Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Question Problem with 09 TCH Best MPG Display & Key

A few months ago, my best MPG dispaly read something like 34.2 and my Average MPG read 35.8. Since that math is not possible and I had just made 2 round trips to DC in heavy traffic getting 40.4 on the tank calculation, I was disappointed that the Info "Best MPG"screen didn't update.

I pressed Reset. Now about 5 tanks later, I still have --- listed as my Best MPG. Graph & Average MPG are working correctly.

How many tanks should it take before a "Best MPG" value shows up in the Info Screen display?

I'm also having "Key Not Detected" errors just after starting and sometimes while driving, but no starting or unlocking problems yet. New key batteries, same problem with either key.

I'm worried the computer may have other issues as well if it can't get these two things right.

Dealer replaced both keys about 6 months ago (in warranty) but doesn't seem to have a clue what else to try.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with 09 TCH Best MPG Display & Key

"Best MPG" should update after first fill up since reset, if I remember correctly. Did the "current tank mpg" reset when filling up? I'm thinking maybe your computer doesn't reset when you pump the gas. But here is the trick: just taking the gas cap off doesn't reset the computer (as one may think), you need to put some good amount of gas, so maybe you're putting gas when the tank is still half full or something similar and therefore don't trigger "current tank reset"? Just wild guess, otherwise I don't know, never had any problems with mine. As far as the key is concerned, again wild guess from far away, but here it is: maybe you are passing some strong radio radiation source which drowns key signal, sometimes it's not even obvious what the hell is, as it happened couple times to me as well, also keeping a key close to cell phone could possibly interfere with signal, so it doesn't have to be malfunction per se, but rather the environment. Just in case, keep in mind there is small metal key inside a FOB to open the door if there is too much interference for remote to work, also touching the FOB key to start button should allow you to start the car even if FOB battery is dead, I would imagine this should also work in case of strong electromagnetic interference. In cases like yours, you should start looking for some patterns, is it same location you're passing, is it particular position of the key FOB in the car, or maybe right before you get a phone call? I'm not an expert, but I would think loosing signal once a rare while is OK, if it's often and getting worse, then I would start worry.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

I think it might simply be the little battery in the remote(s). As they communicate with the car all the time, they don't last very long ( maybe 6 months ? )

Try to replace one and see if behavior changes

Let us know how it works out

Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had one time that I tried to reset the MPG after filling the tank, but it didn't reset right away. I caught the problem on my drive home from the filling station and hit the "reset" button and held it until it reset to 0. Other than that everything has worked fine for the last 6 months or so.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM

I bought my TCH around June 2006, both FOB's are still on original batteries, so I would disagree that batteries don't last long, however I just about never use remote control to open the car (why, just pull the handle and the door opens like it was never locked), again interference for example from the cell phone, if it's close enough (for example in the same pocket) will make the key trying to communicate and exchange the data constantly, which could shorten the life of battery considerably, but again I have my cell phone in right pocket, both FOB's in left and mine is 4 years old, still working well. Also OP said the keys and batteries were changed with no effect.

Originally Posted by boosted27606
I think it might simply be the little battery in the remote(s). As they communicate with the car all the time, they don't last very long ( maybe 6 months ? )

Try to replace one and see if behavior changes

Let us know how it works out

Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

My "Best MPG" still says "---" also. I just got an used '08, and I'm on the 2nd full tank right now. I hit the trip "A" & "B" to be "0" and hit "Reset All" on Travel Info (Consumption), upon filling up. How would the "best" get registered?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Reset All on the display will also reset the best MPG. Next time you fill up, do not press the Reset All (Reset is OK, but not Reset All), and the current MPG should be the best MPG. If the next tank is better, then it will move into the best MPG position, and otherwise the previous value will stay, until you press the Reset All!

-- Alan

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
Reset All on the display will also reset the best MPG. Next time you fill up, do not press the Reset All (Reset is OK, but not Reset All)
I see, thanks. So, how/when would a new "Best MPG" get registered/recognized, having already hit Reset All? I guess my "---" will eventually change to display a number if I just keep driving some more on this tank, hopefully...(?)

Last edited by PiroChu; 05-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by PiroChu
I... So, how/when would a new "Best MPG" get registered/recognized,...
When you press "RESET" it will store a value in the Best MPG area.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 AM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by jbollt
When you press "RESET" it will store a value in the Best MPG area.
Got it, it worked, thanks!

So, the "Best MPG" gets updated only upon refueling (not during driving)?

Also, what's the difference "Reset" vs "Reset All" (other than that the latter erases the "Best MPG")?

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

Quick Reply: Problem with 09 TCH Best MPG Display & Key

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands