Q about On vs Accessory mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Q about On vs Accessory mode

Orcrone — The Ready light in the instrument cluster will be "off" when you're in either ACC or ON mode. It will be "on" in the normal "ready to drive" mode. The ON mode appears to mimic the "on" state of a non-hybrid car — all the instruments are "on" but the engine is not running. The Ready light appears intended to show that you're beyond ON, by mimicking the "engine running and ready to drive" state of a non-hybrid.
Stan[/quote]

As far as I can see the "ON" mode is really redundant and serves no purpose other than to confuse. All it really means is that to shut off the vehicle that is in the accessory mode requires two button pushes, is this correct?
What happens if you press the brake pedal when you are in the "ON" mode, will you get to "READY" mode, or do you have to turn the vehicle to "OFF" mode and start from scratch? Will try myself when I get a chance.

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-21-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
What happens if you press the brake pedal when you are in the "ON" mode, will you get to "READY" mode, or do you have to turn the vehicle to "OFF" mode and start from scratch? Will try myself when I get a chance.
You get the "READY" mode

Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
SPL

Paulgw — I don't think that ON is redundant, any more so than the "ignition ON but ICE not started" state is redundant in a non-hybrid vehicle. I'd guess that it lets you power up all ECUs, but it will not let the car move under its own power (either gas or electric) for safety reasons. This would be useful for service inspection, since communication with the ICUs will then be possible via the DLC3 connector (the "OBD II port"), so that vehicle trouble codes can be investigated, etc. And yes, two button pushes are needed to switch the car OFF from ACC; and one button push will get you to OFF from ON. But, if you apply the footbrake, only one button push will get you to READY from any of the other modes (OFF, ACC, or ON).

Stan

Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Paulgw — I don't think that ON is redundant, any more so than the "ignition ON but ICE not started" state is redundant in a non-hybrid vehicle. I'd guess that it lets you power up all ECUs, but it will not let the car move under its own power (either gas or electric) for safety reasons. This would be useful for service inspection, since communication with the ICUs will then be possible via the DLC3 connector (the "OBD II port"), so that vehicle trouble codes can be investigated, etc. And yes, two button pushes are needed to switch the car OFF from ACC; and one button push will get you to OFF from ON. But, if you apply the footbrake, only one button push will get you to READY from any of the other modes (OFF, ACC, or ON).

Stan
Thanks! I am still learning, I picked up the vehicle last Friday.

I was in a hurry, I pressed the button and got out and tried to lock it without success! Now I know from accessory mode you have to turn it ON to turn it OFF I should be okay! Just like MS Windows!!

This brings me to another problem that I'm having right now, in my hurry I left on the driver's side interior light on and to my horror when I went back to the vehicle a couple of hours later it was still on! Is there no automatic off feature on the TCH to prevent the battery going dead? On the Bonneville I have just traded if you left to such lights on by accident they automatically went off after 15 minutes. I thought this was a standard feature on vehicles these days.

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-21-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paulgw
This brings me to another problem that I'm having right now, in my hurry I left on the driver's side interior light on and to my horror when I went back to the vehicle a couple of hours later it was still on! Is there no automatic off feature on the TCH to prevent the battery going dead?
Sadly no. But you can replace the bulbs with LEDs that use 1/8th the power, making much more likely you will still have a useful battery when returning to your TCH.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
Sadly no. But you can replace the bulbs with
Originally Posted by nash
LEDs that use 1/8th the power, making much more likely you will still have a useful battery when returning to your TCH.

Nash, It's amazing that they don't protect the battery from our the interior lights when they do for such other items as a SmartKey system. Makes me feel like taking advantage of the included three year roadside assistance by getting the battery recharged daily until they get the message!

The LED lights look alike are great idea, do you make these? The ones shown are for the Prius, have you reinstalled these in the TCH lights?

Regards, Paul

Old 11-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have that tag in the center console. When I take the car to a car wash or a valet, I place it back on the shifter.

hopefully they can read and not be as confused as the first car wash attendant I saw trying to start the car when i first got it.
Haha, this reminds me of the first time I took the car to get washed at a local carwash....the guys at the end of the line could not figure out how to turn it back on and had to PUSH it out of the way to the spot where they finished drying it