Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Anyone know specifically which Camry models are involved? My Mom purchased a 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder. I can't find anything specific on which VIN numbers or models.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

<<<"...accelerator pedal was found..." "...fused.."

>>>I haven't seen that published in any reports....

You can read the initial NHTSA report here:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Librar...ee_Inspect.pdf

I recommend reading the full report, but the relevant excerpt is:

"Removal of the mat was difficult because the bottom edge of the accelerator pedal had melted to the upper right corner of the mat."

Also, "Upon removal of the pedal from the vehicle, the rotational motion of the pedal assembly was confirmed to still be operational. The return action was smooth and unencumbered."

Old 01-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lzc

"Removal of the mat was difficult because the bottom edge of the accelerator pedal had melted to the upper right corner of the mat."

Also, "Upon removal of the pedal from the vehicle, the rotational motion of the pedal assembly was confirmed to still be operational. The return action was smooth and unencumbered."
Obviously that isn't conclusive evidence that the floor mat was the single causative factor in the incident. Maybe not even a factor at all as a matter of fact.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by lzc

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Email from my local Toyota Dealer I rec'd today::

Subject: Toyota Recall
Date: January 27, 2010 1:40:04 PM CST
To: Randy xxxxxxx

Dear Valued Rudy Luther Toyota Customers,

You may have heard that Toyota Motor Sales has put a stop sale and recall on some Toyota models. We at Rudy Luther Toyota wanted to share with you the information we have received from Toyota Motor Sales regarding this issue. Below are the details from Toyota that we have received. We hope this will answer any questions you may have and sincerely appreciate your patience.
Putting customers first, Toyota Motor Sales announced to the dealerships and the media on January 26th it will temporarily suspend sales and production of eight Toyota models affected by the sticking accelerator pedal mechanism.

The production halt will involve five plants in the United States and Canada. We don’t know yet how long this pause will last but they are making every effort to resume production soon.

As you can imagine, safety recalls are complex events subject to rapid changes as sales organizations, manufacturing and government regulators work together to resolve issues. That is the situation today. We appreciate your patience and support as Toyota moves aggressively to address these issues.

We are sure that you have many questions and have provided the following information:

FAQ for the Sticky Accelerator Pedal Recall

What is the condition that has prompted Toyota to take this action?

In rare instances, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

What is the likelihood that my vehicle will experience this condition?

The incidence of this condition is rare and occurs gradually over a period time. It can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.

What should I do if I believe my vehicle is affected by this condition?, i.e. I have noticed that my accelerator pedal is hard to depress, slow to return or is unsmooth during operation.

The vehicle should be driven to the nearest safe location, the engine shut off and a Toyota dealer contacted for assistance.

What if you experience a sticking accelerator pedal while driving?

• Each circumstance may vary, and drivers must use their best judgment, but Toyota recommends taking one of following actions:

• If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.

• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

• If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

o If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

o If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

If I am an owner of one of the affected vehicles, what action do I need to take?

Toyota is working quickly to prepare a correction remedy and will issue owner notifications in the future. No action is required at this time unless you feel you are experiencing this condition. If you are experiencing this condition, immediately contact your nearest Toyota Dealer for assistance.

Affected Vehicles

There are approximately 2.3 million vehicles involved in the U.S.

2005 - 2010 Avalon beginning with 4T1

2009 - 2010 Matrix beginning with 2T1

2007 - 2010 Tundra beginning with 5TB or 5TF

2008 - 2010 Sequoia beginning with 5TD

2007 - 2010 Camry beginning with 4T4

2007 - 2010 Camry beginning with 4T1 with a CTS pedal

2009 - 2010 Corolla beginning with 1NX or 2T1

2010 Highlander beginning with 5TD

2009 - 2010 Rav4 beginning with 2T3

What should I do if I still have questions or concerns?

If you still have questions or concerns that have not been addressed here, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

The Toyota Customer Experience Center hours are:

Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST

Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Rudy Luther Toyota Scion
8805 Wayzata Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55426
http://rudyluthertoyota.com
(763) 222-2020

I have to say that I never got a nice letter from Ford when they finally admitted that my Pinto would blow up or that my Firestone-500 tires they sold me were faulty...

------------------------------------

Also

Pedal Mfgr seems to be at fault:
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toy...-affected.html

Recall now extended to China:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...tends-to-China

Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing Randy. Maybe this will help me determine if my Mom's 2010 Camry LE is involved.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I received the same e-mail; not from my dealer though...I got it from the dealership in Burnsville, Minnesota when I asked about the engine block heater. Go figure.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 AM

UPDATE 1-Toyota may resume US sales in three weeks -sources
Sales on recalled models may resume 3rd week Feb-sources
* May finalize remedy for some models next week-sources
* To resume on models with adjusted/new accelerator pedals

DETROIT, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp 7203.TK may resume sales of eight vehicle models that it recalled because of faulty accelerator pedals as soon as the third week of February, though that date might be "optimistic," sources briefed on the matter said on Friday.
The timing assumes that the rollout of a fix for the pedals goes smoothly, the sources said. The third week of February was "very optimistic," they said.
Toyota declined to comment on the timing of the sales resumption, saying only that the vehicles would get adjusted or new accelerator pedals before being sold. Toyota this week suspended sales of eight models involved in a safety recall of 2.3 million vehicles announced last week.
The recall involves accelerator pedals that may become stuck and cause vehicles to speed up accidentally. It includes Toyota's two top-selling cars in its biggest market, the Camry and Corolla.
Analysts have estimated that the sales halt could cost Toyota at least $550 million in operating profit a month.
Another 100,000 to 120,000 of the eight models are on dealer lots or in transit to dealers, sources said.
A Toyota spokesman did not confirm the specific fix it is considering, but said the company's engineers are talking with officials from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the remedy.
The remedy involves a shim, also called a spacer, that will be placed on the accelerator to stop vehicles from speeding up unintentionally, sources said.
The sources did not know, and Toyota said it has not yet determined when production lines would resume at six North American plants that make the models.
Those production lines would shut from Feb. 1 to Feb 5.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Larry - Can you post a link to the original source of the text you just quoted please?

Thanks..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

Quick Reply: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands