Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Originally Posted by rmoore
Actually it is drive-by-wire that has the problem: There is a friction mechanism that emulates the natural friction of a throttle cable, so that the pedal does not return too rapidly. In North American-made models, the part comes from Canada and some of those are sticking. Japanese models, which use the parts made by Denso, don't have the problem.

TCH and Prius escape this issue by virtue of being made in Japan, not by being drive-by-wire.
Except that many TCHs are now made in the US.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: More Mud

Originally Posted by jbollt
It seems that there may be more mud being slung...I fear this ain't over yet.

Headline reads "Toyota Used Ex-Regulators to Help Kill Probes"
Ah, the old revolving door phenomenon. And surprising that ex-regulators should be allowed to have any clout at all with the agency they left.

It doesn't seem to relate directly to any of the current problems, which (AFAIK) don't apply to 2002-2003 models.

Still, it's more bad press and more questions of ethics, not a pretty picture.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Except that many TCHs are now made in the US.
But using the Denso parts, I guess? Otherwise they should be subject to the recall.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore
But using the Denso parts, I guess? Otherwise they should be subject to the recall.
Correct. My 09 TCH was built in Kentucky, with the Denso part. From what I have read, all TCHs have the Denso part.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Actually...

1. Bottom of the gas pedal could get stuck on the ridges at the forward edge of a floor mat, even a fully "restrained" floor mat.

2. An unrestrained floor mat could slide forward over the gas pedal but behind the brake pedal. When you apply the brakes heavily the gas pedal get pushed forward.

3. The gas pedal assembly manufactured by CTS based in Elkhart Indianna could bind or stick.

4. Possibly a flaw in the firmware.

Toyota/etc was concerned enough about the issue of engine run-a-way that a BTO was being installed in the 2011 models.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Actually...

1. Bottom of the gas pedal could get stuck on the ridges at the forward edge of a floor mat, even a fully "restrained" floor mat.

2. An unrestrained floor mat could slide forward over the gas pedal but behind the brake pedal. When you apply the brakes heavily the gas pedal get pushed forward.

3. The gas pedal assembly manufactured by CTS based in Elkhart Indianna could bind or stick.

4. Possibly a flaw in the firmware.

Toyota/etc was concerned enough about the issue of engine run-a-way that a BTO was being installed in the 2011 models.
Everything Willard says here is 100% correct - most importantly on no.2, with which I have had personal experience.

What's more is.............

I reported earlier in this thread that I had called the dealer and spoken with a service manager to inquire specifically about whether my 09 Camry Hybrid would receive the BOT flash on the recall program. He took my VIN number, checked the Toyota site data and replied that it definitely WOULD get the BOT flash on the 90L program.

To this post, Willard responded:

"Trust me, your TCH is NOT on the 90L recall list for a BOT "reflash", Toyota/etc claims that capability/feature already exists for the HSD series."

I took the car in this morning for the L90 recall repair. The service adviser who took the car in told me again that the BOT flash WOULD be done.

I have just now picked the car up.

The dealer manager and service adviser were wrong.

Willard was right.

And I am....................weeeeeeeell............disap pointed.

Thanks and apologies to Willard West.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-12-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: completeness, typos
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Smilin' Jack...so you are saying that the TCH already has the BOT capability as WWest mentioned? It seems that Haroldo tested it in his 08, and couldn't confirm its existance. Never mind I see your post in the BTO thread.

Last edited by jbollt; 02-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Smilin' Jack...so you are saying that the TCH already has the BOT capability as WWest mentioned? It seems that Heraldo tested it in his 08, and couldn't confirm its existance.
Willard and now I are not claiming the feature, we are merely acknowledging that Toyota is claiming that their PSD hybrid systems do not need the flash because they have some inherent capability of this kind.

I have done tests similar to those by Larry (Haroldo) and I am as disappointed as he with the performance.

Furthermore, as I have posted several times, I have had the floor-mat-induced UA problem, and in those situations, whatever inherent BTO capability may exist in my car was of no help whatsoever.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-12-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Guys,

According to what I am reading at this TOYOTA site, there should be an override done, the pedal shortened and the floor pan "modified" to increase the depth beneath the pedal for the affected models. What I am NOT sure of is the hybrids...

The quote is:

"What are the specific measures of the vehicle-based remedy you are using to address the potential for floor mats to entrap the pedal?
The remedy is as follows:

1. The shape of the accelerator pedal will be reconfigured to address the risk of floor mat entrapment, even when an older-design all-weather floor mat or other inappropriate floor mat is improperly attached, or is placed on top of another floor mat. For the ES350, Camry, and Avalon models involved, the shape of the floor surface underneath will also be reconfigured to increase the space between the accelerator pedal and the floor.

2. Vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mat will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front passenger-side all-weather floor mats.

In addition, as a separate measure independent of the vehicle-based remedy, Toyota will install a brake override system onto the involved Camry, Avalon, and Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and IS 250 models as an extra measure of confidence. This system cuts engine power in case of simultaneous application of both the accelerator and brake pedals.

The recall remedies for accelerator pedal entrapment for the Corolla, Matrix, Venza, Highlander, Tacoma, Tundra, and Prius will occur on a rolling schedule during 2010. No details have been provided to this point. Please note that the Prius, and all hybrids for that matter, already have a version of the override system. The override system will be standard by the end of 2010.

What is the function of “brake override system”?
When the vehicle is moving and both the gas and brake pedal are pushed at the same time, this software forces the vehicle to respond to the brake only. The brake takes precedence over the gas pedal."

And it can be found at Toyota press release

Note that it says the hybrids have a VERSION of the brake over ride, it does not state it will not be done on them.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM

The service campaign recall 90L "letter" at techinfo.toyota.com states that the BTO reflash does not apply to any hybrid..

Quick Reply: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands