Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Originally Posted by lzc
Here's an interesting news video that says Toyota will add brake override firmware to cars that come in for their mat/pedal recall. It says that hybrids, "such as Prius," already have such a system. They didn't mention TCH by name.

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=61614@kpix.dayport.com

That is interesting, indeed !!

I agree with the commentator that this feature would be valuable on ANY car.

I strongly disagree that all of the hybrids - and (based on personal experience; see my posts in this forum) the TCH's in particular - already have this !!

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-11-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: completeness
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

haroldo-

Since Toyota isn't classifying this procedure as a recall, I wouldn't expect it to be listed at the site you recommended, although it's a good one.

This is a "performance enhancement," or something like that. I doubt at this point Toyota wants to announce yet another more recall for several million cars. The media is already chewing them up.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
...I strongly disagree that all of the hybrids - and (based on personal experience; see my posts in this forum) the TCH's in particular - already have this !!
I called the service department (Autoland 973-467-6102). They maintain that the TCH does have this feature.
I asked the question three different ways and related your story, but they guy insists that the TCH has this software.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to floor it and then apply the brakes.
I'm not one to fool around this way, and don't advise anyone else to try, but if someone does...please let us know.
Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 02-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I called the service department (Autoland 973-467-6102). They maintain that the TCH does have this feature.
I asked the question three different ways and related your story, but they guy insists that the TCH has this software.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to floor it and then apply the brakes.
I'm not one to fool around this way, and don't advise anyone else to try, but if someone does...please let us know.
Thanks!
At least in regard to the 2009 TCH, I think that they are just plain wrong.

This would not be the first time that dealers' service department gave incorrect information. (Toyota or others).

Or, at least it sure does not work that way on my car.

And if my car already had this feature, why on earth would they send me a letter saying that they were going to shorten the gas pedal ?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
...And if my car already had this feature, why on earth would they send me a letter saying that they were going to shorten the gas pedal ?
Is because of the way they botched this issue.
They blamed everything under the sun, including the length of the pedal

Soon we'll all find out...the real culprit is......Global Warming!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>And if my car already had this feature, why on earth would they send me a letter saying that they were going to shorten the gas pedal ?

You lost me. The feature we're talking about is a brake override system. The recall to shorten the gas pedal was to prevent floor mats from interfering with it.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by lzc
>>And if my car already had this feature, why on earth would they send me a letter saying that they were going to shorten the gas pedal ?

You lost me. The feature we're talking about is a brake override system. The recall to shorten the gas pedal was to prevent floor mats from interfering with it.
The brake override feature should cure all UA evils: mat/pedal interference, stuck pedal, defective pedal assembly, etc.

So, with this feature there should be no need to shorten pedals.

And thanks again for posting that very interesting link !!!

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-11-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>So, with this feature there should be no need to shorten pedals.

You think too logically. The government, and Toyota, have found the gas pedals might interfere with the floor mats, thus are defective and need to be altered. There's no turning back.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by lzc
>>So, with this feature there should be no need to shorten pedals.

You think too logically. The government, and Toyota, have found the gas pedals might interfere with the floor mats, thus are defective and need to be altered. There's no turning back.
UPDATE:

I just spoke to a service manager at Mike Calvert Toyota, here in Houston, TX.

I gave him the VIN number for my 2009 Camry Hybrid.

He checked a Toyota site and found that my car is listed under campaign 90L. This program calls for BOTH the computer flash for the brake over-ride AND the pedal and mat modifications.

And, I have reflected on the issue and modified my own opinion as well. This is a serious safety issue; so I see no problem with a "belt and suspenders" solution; i.e., the software flash plus the pedal/mat modification.

I was told that the whole thing will take about 2.5 hours.

I made an appointment for tomorrow.

I will report on the process and on the outcome.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by lzc
Here's an interesting news video that says Toyota will add brake override firmware to cars that come in for their mat/pedal recall. It says that hybrids, "such as Prius," already have such a system. They didn't mention TCH by name.

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=61614@kpix.dayport.com
Single source reporting and I'm not buying it.

When Toyota/etc announces that they are supplying a "retrofit" BTO, brake-Throttle Over-ride as a "reflash" then I'll believe.

Quick Reply: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands