Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Originally Posted by wwest
Single source reporting and I'm not buying it.

When Toyota/etc announces that they are supplying a "retrofit" BTO, brake-Throttle Over-ride as a "reflash" then I'll believe.
Willard,

You can start believing now. See my post above.

The BTO reflash is now part of the recall program 90L, and late model TCH's are on the list for that program. According to my dealer, my 09 TCH is on the list, and the mailing of the notices started on Monday.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Trust me, your TCH is NOT on the 90L recall list for a BTO "reflash", Toyota/etc claims that capability/featrue already exists for the HSD series.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Trust me, your TCH is NOT on the 90L recall list for a BTO "reflash", Toyota/etc claims that capability/featrue already exists for the HSD series.
Willard,

I know that you are earnest, but at this point:

1. I am taking my dealer's service mgr at his word when he told me that he looked up my VIN and found it on the list.

2. As you read here, I have had the floor mat UA problem for sure, and whatever feature exists on my car dis not prevent it.

3. I have tested my car's ability to cut fuel on simultaneous accelerator and brake pedal application, and it doesn't do BOT for me.

After the fix tomorrow, I will test again and report.

Jack

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Willard,

I know that you are earnest, but at this point:

1. I am taking my dealer's service mgr at his word when he told me that he looked up my VIN and found it on the list.

2. As you read here, I have had the floor mat UA problem for sure, and whatever feature exists on my car dis not prevent it.

3. I have tested my car's ability to cut fuel on simultaneous accelerator and brake pedal application, and it doesn't do BOT for me.

After the fix tomorrow, I will test again and report.

Jack
I do not doubt that your TCH is on the 90L recall list ("Service campaign"), just not for the BTO reflash. Note that I did not say your TCH has a BTO capability, just that Toyota/etc believes it does.

And by the way, with the PSD, the ICE holding a high RPM cognizant with the gas pedal position does not necessarily mean there is DRIVE to the axles. Just as the ICE can run in neutral and the car not move also means the ICE can run at elevated RPM and....not move.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM

I do not doubt that your TCH is on the 90L recall list ("Service campaign"), just not for the BTO reflash. Note that I did not say your TCH has a BTO capability, just that Toyota/etc believes it does.

And by the way, with the PSD, the ICE holding a high RPM cognizant with the gas pedal position does not necessarily mean there is DRIVE to the axles. Just as the ICE can run in neutral and the car not move also means the ICE can run at elevated RPM and....not move.
Thanks. I do understand you more clearly, now.

And to make myself more clear, they DID say specifically that I will get the flash tomorrow, and when I say that BOT does not work satisfactorily for me at present, I AM talking about power to the wheels, not merely RPM.

Stay tuned for breaking (or is that "braking") news.

I will report on developments tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-11-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Yesterday I went to the Toyota Owners site and put in my vin number. The only recall that showed was the acc pedal.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:08 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>Single source reporting and I'm not buying it.

Well, how about a second source. From the NY Times:

The company will install a brake override system on the affected Camry, Avalon, and Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and IS 250. This system cuts engine power in case the accelerator and brake pedals are applied at the same time. The system already exists on the Prius and other hybrids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/bu...questions.html

Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM

As per my experiment, I don't believe we have the product.
I don't put a lot of weight into what the media says. Chances are they're either copying other's research or not completely aware of all the facts.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Default More Mud

It seems that there may be more mud being slung...I fear this ain't over yet.

Headline reads "Toyota Used Ex-Regulators to Help Kill Probes"

Read the story here:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...%2F19355607%2F

Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
I believe that there are 2 different recalls/problems.

1) The stacked floormats that can catch the gas pedal and keep it down

2) The non drive-by-wire throtle mechanisms that are having issues.

Since the TCH has a drive-by-wire, #2 is not in play.
Actually it is drive-by-wire that has the problem: There is a friction mechanism that emulates the natural friction of a throttle cable, so that the pedal does not return too rapidly. In North American-made models, the part comes from Canada and some of those are sticking. Japanese models, which use the parts made by Denso, don't have the problem.

TCH and Prius escape this issue by virtue of being made in Japan, not by being drive-by-wire.

Quick Reply: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands