Strange observation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Strange observation

I recently filled my TCH at the gas station and it has been below -15 degrees celcius of late out here in Canada. I observed something in my morning 10 km trip that struck me as unusual.

I was observing the "Tank Average" values on display during the ride. I had an average of about 8.2 L/100KM when I filled my tank. Being very cold, I noticed that the ICE comes on more than before.

Here is the observation. In just a span of a 10KM ride, the tank average was swinging wildy from 8 L/100KM to 11 L/100KM.

Is this because the tank was full and the measurements go crazy?Oris there something else that's wrong? Has anyone in this forum observed this?

I have bought the TCH one month ago and did not see such a behavior before. Or is this something that you can ignore?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Strange observation

The tank average resets when you fill up the tank, so the first few km you drive the average calculation has very little distance to calculate an average, so fuel consumption changes like accelerating or driving up hill or coasting have huge impact on the calculation. As the distance you drive increases after fill up, the greater distance used in the calculation will create more stability in the result. This is the fun part of filling up. I once had the opportunity to fill up at the gas station at a high elevation north of Toronto. I managed to put on 80km with a tank average of 4.3L/100km (almost 55mpg) because it was mainly downhill. Alas, normal driving quickly brought it back in line.

In contrast, the cruising range does not reset after each fill up.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strange observation

Droid got to it first. But that's it, even the average will move around a lot with very little data.