Suggestions for Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Camry Freak
Default Re: Suggestions for Tires??

Originally Posted by TCHandler
I now live in Denver CO. and had to get my OEM tires replaced when it started to snow. Decided to go with Goodyear Tripletred tires. Awesome set of tires with 80,000 mile warranty.
I know you posted several months ago- but I have two questions for you regarding the Tripletreds-
1) Are they noisy?
2) Did your fuel economy change when you installed them?

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
- Take picture with digital camera.
- Copy to computer.
- Post reply in this thread. If you scroll down, you will see a "Manage Attachments" button. Click a browse to picture, upload. Submit reply.

Picture will show up as attachment to your post.

thanks for the help I had 45 pictures sitting in limbo, it is sure easy once you know how

tim

Old 10-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
To all,

I would like to thank the group for all the discussion related to the tires. I decided to go with the Primacy MXV4. They were installed today!! As described they are much quieter and smoother tire than the Bridgestone. We got 24K miles on the original tires. I didn't wear them down completely but it was time to change them with winter coming.

I took a quick trip that I track mileage on and it seems mileage will be about the same.

I have seen previous posts people have just RAVED about how quiet, smooth and improved handling. Well, they ALL are correct!! It is like having a new car! I would recommend people who are looking to buy a car; they should trade the Bridgestone tire right from the start!!

Thanks again! Bill
So how is your MPG? Better? Worse?

I'm probably going to have to buy new tires soon. Like others, I have the OEM Bridgestone and they didn't last long at all...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
So how is your MPG? Better? Worse?

I'm probably going to have to buy new tires soon. Like others, I have the OEM Bridgestone and they didn't last long at all...
I replaced the Bridgestones after 38K with the Primacys (95V).
I've noticed a small loss of MPG (~1 though maybe I'm not trying as hard for mpg savings this summer) but all the other things (handling, quietness, treadlife listing, etc) more than make up for it. I was afraid to take a corner hard with the Bridgestones even when they were new. The Primacys have a much better feel.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yokohama YK520 from Discount Tires.

Had them installed over the weekend to replace the AWFUL OEM Bridgestones, which only lasted 37,000 miles.

The Yokos are much quieter than the OEM tires. We had a "droning" sound from the rear of the car at hwy speeds which is now GONE thank gosh !!! It was the OEM tires making the noise - I was not sure before, but now I know it was the old tires.

So far after about 100 miles of mixed city and hwy driving, MPG dropped about 1 MPG.

Taking a familiar trip to Texas in about two weeks, so I will get a definitive word on the MPG for sure.

Initial impression is a thumbs up.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by 07CamHybrid
I know you posted several months ago- but I have two questions for you regarding the Tripletreds-
1) Are they noisy?
2) Did your fuel economy change when you installed them?

Thanks.
I put TripleTreds on my Sienna almost 3 years ago. The Sienna came with Michelin tires that I would rate equally with the Michelins that came with the TCH. Smooth and quiet ride, but unimpressive in wet or snowy conditions. When the TripleTreds were first installed, they were the most awesome "all season" tire I've ever had for wet roads and ok for winter roads. But, they were significantly noisier than the OEM Michelins at highway speeds. 3 years and about 45,000km later (28K miles) they are about 50% worn, gotten a lot smoother/less noisy at highway speeds, but aren't amazing on wet roads anymore (but still better than the OEM Michelins were).

As for fuel consumption, I never measured FE on my Sienna before I changed the tires, but I did after and it has been reasonably good (capable of both great and terrible results depending on how its driven). My Dad put ComforTred's on his car at the same time and found them good all seasons and were quieter than the TripleTreds. If I had to pick between only those two tires for the TCH, I might opt for the ComforTreds instead.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

I just picked up a set of Goodyear Tripletreds as well here in Ohio for my Prius. My new ones are the 195/60 R15 instead of the slightly thinner 185/65 R15. Haven't had any significant snow to drive in yet but the difference in rain is already impressive. My MPG hasn't taken the dip I expected when considering all the factors (new tires need broken in, colder weather, winter blend gas, and the additional width. etc...) When compared to my numbers from the about the same time period (temperature) last year I am about even. The noise seems to be the same as the OEM tires that came with the car if not just a tad quieter and a lot less bouncy.

Last edited by morpheusx; 11-10-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Nokian has some very low rolling resistance tires. Try the WR, or WRG2

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eldogo
Nokian has some very low rolling resistance tires. Try the WR, or WRG2
Those are really good tires... however I think they are severe service rated (ie alot of ice and snow). If you live in a warm climate there are probably better options with lower noise and better LRR. They have LRR with respect to tires like themselves, but I'd guess not so good compared to a warmer weather touring tire.

I'm not trying to knock'em though. I have Nokain WRSUV's the SUV version for my Escape. I love them but... I live in a state that gets some snow and ice.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

To all,

I thought I would follow up this message with a report on mileage. I bought the tires last fall. Well last summer on the old tires we took a family vacation to Canada and I was able to check the mileage. We this summer we took a long trip as well and I found we have about a 1.8 miles per gallon drop. All things being equal I believe the difference to be the tires.

I would have hoped for a bit better mileage considering the type of tire.

I thought you would like to know!

Bill

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Tires??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands