TCH suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH suspension upgrades?

You answered your own question. The TRD springs are not configured to fit the TCH.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Flopshot - with your springs on what differences have you noticed.

I actually like how our TCH handles just with the tire change we did early on. What I don't like is the way the rear end squats anytime I put something in the trunk or when we have passengers in the rear. Normally this wouldn't be of big concern except for the HID's. When that back end squats you can bet every car coming at me will flash their lights at me.

So what I'm thinking is stiffer springs, beefer sway bar and some good quality struts should help solve the challenge. I even thought that I could somehow manage to install some airbags in the back with an onboard auto air compressor like I have on my truck but no one makes those either.

Thoughts?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Over at toyotanation.com there are a few posts about suspension upgrades. If you are going to change the springs in the TCH, the extra weight distribution is a big deal. The TCH weighs less in the front because the I4+HSD is less than the V6 of the SE. And the back weights more obviously because of the extra battery weight.

Check out this link with photos:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...t=TCh+lowering

It looks like what works best right now is a combination of TRD and SE springs. Until a company brings out a TCH specific system.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
lvw
Enthusiast

FWIW, I had my dealer assess whether or not the SE swaybars would fit on my TCH, and they said the rear one would not. Some of the hybrid gear interfered. So, a stiffer sway bar would have to be purpose made for the TCH. I choose to *not* just put a stiffer front one on the car, that would likely hurt the handling overall.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

I'm thinking I'll find a way to customize a set of supporting airbags for the back to support the loaded conditions. Won't be till this summer though.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moptop
Over at toyotanation.com there are a few posts about suspension upgrades. If you are going to change the springs in the TCH, the extra weight distribution is a big deal. The TCH weighs less in the front because the I4+HSD is less than the V6 of the SE. And the back weights more obviously because of the extra battery weight.

Check out this link with photos:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...t=TCh+lowering

It looks like what works best right now is a combination of TRD and SE springs. Until a company brings out a TCH specific system.
You referenced a circular link. That is my post over at TN.com, and the first sentence reads "For those who haven't already seen this over at the GreenHybrid forum, I just lowered my Camry Hybrid."

Here is the corresponding thread on this forum which includes all the same history of this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...pped-tch-9839/

Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
You referenced a circular link. That is my post over at TN.com, and the first sentence reads "For those who haven't already seen this over at the GreenHybrid forum, I just lowered my Camry Hybrid."

Here is the corresponding thread on this forum which includes all the same history of this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...pped-tch-9839/
Great! I guess we've got our bases covered then. Thank for the clarification. BTW awesome looking car!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I know i am getting old because at first I thought the suspension was crazy soft, now I find it very comfortable running around town. However, it does not handle large impacts well such as potholes. Unfortunately, if I touch the suspension, my wife will have me sleeping on the couch on a long term basis (her car). She likes it the way it is. I barely got the tint by her................

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM
CNY Toyota fan

Originally Posted by kris
A guy on Tundrasolutions.com claims that he has lowered his TCH with TRD springs. But it's doubtful.
You can purchase TRD springs for a reasonable price that are made for the TCH. They lower the height of the TCH about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. I can't speak for what they do for the ride quality but I would be interested. I think Deland Toyota in Florida has them listed on their web site for not much money. This post may be late but I hope it helps anyway.