Warning: Do not let brother-in-law drives car!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Warning: Do not let brother-in-law drives car!!

My dealer warned me about this. They said to make sure that if my wife hops in the car to give her the keyfob as they can drive it without it but won't be able to restart the car if they stop it.

Same thing as what happened for 5 hours with his brother-in-law. The keyfob was in all likelihood out of range for all 5 hours with the engine running.

Originally Posted by spiff72
Interesting...

This high-tech "Smart Key" isn't so smart, after all. This seems like something that should be changed - I might have to do an experiment and see if someone can drive away without the fob. One of my co-workers has volunteered to help!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

One of the very important details that I tried to tell my brother-in-law was that IF you leave the car on and walk away from the car with it still running the car will BEEP three times at you if you have the FOB in your pocket.

I even demonstrated it to him, so the only explaination I have is that he left the FOB in the car. Because you cannot walk away without noticing that the car is beeping at you.

I have done this myself when I quick get out of the car to run in the house to get something I forgot and the car starts beeping, it sure gets my attention.

About ther A/C running: sometimes I will sit in my car with the car "running" to make notes for the line of work I am in. It has been very hot here for well over a week and last week I was sitting in the car for about 10 minutes with only the battery suppling power for the A/C. Then the electric ICE turned on because the battery had gotten to low. So yes the ICE and battery kind of take turns when sitting with the car ON. This does reduce you tank mileage so I do not do that unless it is really hot.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good point. I never even thought of the problem you'd have if you drove 1+ hours away and then are stuck without a key!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So did they not take the key out? Or no key required? (I know you are upset but boy did I get a good laugh out of that story. )

Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
So did they not take the key out? Or no key required? (I know you are upset but boy did I get a good laugh out of that story. )
The TCH only has a fob (remote) with a built in key to use if your fob battery dies. If the key is in the car you only put your foot on the brake and press the power button to start it.

Apparently if you don't shut it (by pressing the power button again) you can remove the fob from the car and still drive away (or just leave your A/C on).

Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tried to leave the car running with the AC on today while I ran into a store since its 101 degrees out and the car would not let me lock the doors while it was "on". I got the 3 beeps from the car when I closed the drivers door with the car on. When I tried pressing the door button to lock the doors I got a long beep without the doors locking. When I tried pressing the lock button on the fob nothing happened. I didn't attempt to have someone hop in and try putting the car in drive without the fob at this point but I will try that next.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

(I know you are upset but boy did I get a good laugh out of that story. )[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I laugh now buts it's more of a: God how does someone do that

Old 08-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

No it doesn't shut off automatically. It's one of the key points I make to everyone on delivery.
Park ==> Power ==> OUT!!!!
Park ==> Power ==> OUT!!!!

Not only doesn't it automatically shut down but if you press the 'lock' button or hit the keyless remote to lock it..... it will unlock itself automatically. You can't lock it if it's still running. Yes anyone can steal the vehicle since it's both unlocked and still running.

Park ==> Power ==> OUT!

Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
WVGasGuy

Actually that's a nice feature. If someone robs/mugs/approaches you wanting the car, simply throw the keys (they think you will run) but get in the car and drive away! They won't suspect anything since the car will appear to not be running.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Actually that's a nice feature. If someone robs/mugs/approaches you wanting the car, simply throw the keys (they think you will run) but get in the car and drive away! They won't suspect anything since the car will appear to not be running.
That might just happen if gas hits $5 or $6 per gallon!

Quick Reply: Warning: Do not let brother-in-law drives car!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands