Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

I picked up my new TCH on 5/26 and purchased the platiunm, 7 years/100k miles, for 800+, i don't have the exact figure with me as I write this post. This was purchased from the selling dealer, East Coast Toyota, in New Jersey.

I already have received coupons for 4 or 5 oil changes and other covered service. I will try to look at the coupons when I get home and post the exact information

Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by houtex
My credit card has been charged and I got a receipt in the mail for the Service Agreement application from the dealership. 7 years, zero deductible, 100,000 miles platinum coverage. All for $820.
The saleman gave me an 800 Toyota number where he told me i could verify that my coverage was officially entered in the system.

I called today and unfortunately they have no record of my car. I called the selling dealership and the finance person who sold me the agreement is no longer with them. I have left a message with the other finance person to see what is going on.
I will provide an update when this is settled one way or the other.

The people at the toyota finance center did say that my car should have been entered into the system the next day after I signed the agreement.
I talked to the finance manager at the dealership and he looked into the issue. He called me back within an hour and apologized stating that there was an oversight somewhere along the line. He said if i called Toyota on Thursday, they will have a record of my car. I should get official paperwork from Toyota a few days after this.

The dealership I dealt with is Midwest Superstore in Hutchinson, KS. Other than the fact they dropped the ball, i am happy with the service I received. When I purchased the warranty, the finance person stated that they would sell the warranty at that price because it was end of month and they wanted to meet some numbers. Supposedly it's below their cost, but I don't know how much credence I put on this.

I decided to get the extended warranty because I have all the bells and whistles and I just rather pay now and have the peace of mind then be presented with a huge bill down the line. Even if I don't keep the car for the full 100,000 miles, the warranty is transferrable for $50 and I figure will be a good selling point.

BTW if you purchase a Toyota Warranty from an out of state dealer or any dealer, you can call 1-800-228-8559 to make sure your car has been input into the system.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

Can any of you provide a link to the "Edmunds List" of Toyota dealers selling extended warranties.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montush
Can any of you provide a link to the "Edmunds List" of Toyota dealers selling extended warranties.

Thanks in advance.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f0c3194/0

Old 07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

usahelmut,
Did they hit you up for tax on the service contract here in good ole' NJ? If they didn't charge tax I'm sure they will be doing that after July 15th when all the new taxes kick in. I'm wondering if buying it from out of state like at Midwest Superstore would be better.

Did you get the coupons for the free service with your extended warranty? I was given a little card for free 5k and 10k services with the car. hmmm.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just picked my new TCH, and when I met with the Finance guy, he offered the 7yr/100k mile warranty for a price of $1799. I politely passed. That is a 100+% markup over the $820 houtex got.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
I just picked my new TCH, and when I met with the Finance guy, he offered the 7yr/100k mile warranty for a price of $1799. I politely passed. That is a 100+% markup over the $820 houtex got.
That's the same price I was quoted where I bought my car. Three different people tried to sell me the extended warranty at the dealer. The last one came down to $1600 saying that was their cost for the warranty. Having read these boards religiously before I bought my car, I knew better.

There are people that will pay the 1800 which I guess is why they try so hard to sell it.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just got off of the phone with the Midwest Superstore in Kansas. This is the one that has been mentioned in various posts.
They gave me the following information-

Platinum, $0 Deductable, Toyota Warranty:

6yr 75,000 $450
7yr 75,000 $535
6yr 100,000 $690
7yr 100,000 $830

I suspect that, based on these prices, I will be purchasing one of the 6 year plans.

I'm not affiliated with these folks in any way.

As always, YMMV!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumzyman
usahelmut,
Did they hit you up for tax on the service contract here in good ole' NJ? If they didn't charge tax I'm sure they will be doing that after July 15th when all the new taxes kick in. I'm wondering if buying it from out of state like at Midwest Superstore would be better.

Did you get the coupons for the free service with your extended warranty? I was given a little card for free 5k and 10k services with the car. hmmm.
I believe that the cost of the warranty was included in the price upon which the sales tax was calculated. Actually, I am not a NJ resident but a NY resident so the dealer calculated the tax on my NY residence because he actually registered the car for me in NY. I believe I got a couple of coupons for the service intervals which I think are every 5000 miles.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

That’s cool..
You bought your car in NJ and registered it in NY where as I did just the opposite (still waiting for my plates). Did you call around to a bunch of dealers to find your car or did you order? I called around for about 2 weeks before I found a dealer that had one coming into the port that wasn't pre-sold.

I emailed Midwest Superstore in KS along with East Coast Toyota in NJ but haven't received a callback from either yet.

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands