XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast
Angry XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Purchased my Barcelona Red '07 TCH on 7/1/06 with all the options including the NAV system. Just happened to walk unto my dealers lot at the right time. They had just rolled out the hybrid a couple of hours earlier.

The window sticker states "XM/Sirius Capablty; Req's Subs/Ant/Rcvr.

I missed the important part where it states "Capablty" and "Req's".

So what I found out is that the satallite radio receiver and antenna have to be added. They are not included in the system.

Costs for the XM receiver and "fit kit" from the dealer was $350.
The installer that the dealership uses will charge about $300 in labor to install the parts.

So if you are needing satellite radio in a TCH then best to include the parts and labor in the financing if possible.

Expect system to be installed in a couple of weeks. Installer is healing from a broken collar bone.

My TCH goes in tomorrow for the Simoniz treatment.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

I think he's over charging you. I also have a Barcelona Red and had an XM radio installed after I took delivery. The selling dealer (sales manager) told me that they would not have the radio kit until some time in September. I went to another dealer and he had it in stock. The total cost for the kit and installation was under $500 and it took about 2 hours.

If you look at the Kelly Blue Book accessory for the TCH you'll see it's valued at $449.00.

They actually made a mistake the first time around and installed a Sirius radio. They had to take that out and install the XM instead so I spent a little more time in the waiting room.

I would look for another dealer if you can and save a couple of bucks

Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately the next closest dealer is about 60 miles away.

Trying to maintain dealer loyalty and such.

Of course, today I just removed the dealer logo from the rear of the car.

No sense giving em free advertising when I paid full MSRP for my TCH.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wow...so you are looking at $600 or so? I want Sirius on mine...what does the install look like? Is there a back antenna? Is it body color blended?

I heard there was not much Sirius availability at this point.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased the Sirus from the dealer when I bought mine ($500 total including install). Even though I've taken delivery of the car, they've told me there is a "problem with the fit-kit" and the Sirius radio won't be ready for months potentially. I'm looking into this further and am exploring all options. Sort of angry at the dealer as they clearly misled me on availability. I might not have bought it with the car; I might have waited. (Luckily, haven't filled out the dealer survey....going to politely mention that.)

Old 07-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast

I'm kind of surprised that you are all having issues with your sattelite radio installations.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the selling dealer's sales manager told me that they would not be able to install until some time in September.

I went to Rockland Toyota in Nanuet, NY and they actually had both kits (XM and Sirius) in stock. I had requested and XM radio but initially they installed the Sirius. I had to wait another 2 hours for them to remove and replace. A little inconvenience. The reason I selected XM is that I alreay had a subscription to XM from my previous car.

The installation is integrated with the NAV screen. There is nothing external to the car. I understand that the receiver is in the trunk somewhere, I did not watch them install it, and there is a small atenna on the rear deck behind the seats. I actually did not notice it for a few days. I kept looking for it. It is a little black *** sitting there with some velcro I image.

The radio works fine and I love the Camry Hybrid.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

I tried to buy the Sirius radio + Fit Kit to add to my car with NAV and found out the same thing. Toyota has a stop order on selling the fit kit due to problems with it. The local dealer was not aware of this,a nd tried to sell me the old fit kit anyway. See http://www.toyotapartsdelivered.com/...cfm?design=114 where the folks were very helpful, and actually tracked down the computer stop sale link's meaning by calling toyota to find this out. Considering other Sirius options, but hate to do a non OEM install--might wait till Dec

Old 07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usahelmut

The installation is integrated with the NAV screen. There is nothing external to the car. I understand that the receiver is in the trunk somewhere, I did not watch them install it, and there is a small atenna on the rear deck behind the seats. I actually did not notice it for a few days. I kept looking for it. It is a little black *** sitting there with some velcro I image.

The radio works fine and I love the Camry Hybrid.
I am surprised that the antenna is on the top of the rear deck. I thought they were supposed to attach it to a metal plate (a "ground plane") under the rear deck. I guess if it works, that's all that matters.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the post on the Sat Radio...I am still searching for someone to install it here in Virginia...If anyone has a dealer that is installing XM...please let me know...Thanks in advacne....Pitchafit

Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Enthusiast

I'm a newbee but have been a XM subscriber for over 3 years. Toyota will be XM exclusive starting with the 2008 MY cars. I'm not sure if this has anything to do the Sirius fit kit issue?

I installed the XM tuner and fit kit in 3 and a half hours - working quite slowly to not accidentally damage my new car. There is a 15 page installation instructions from Toyota's accessory guide that the dealer will make a copy for you. It is clear and easy to follow and I'm by no means an expert at dismantling. I highly recommend getting a clip removal tool (I got mine for $9) to help remove panel and trim pieces. I purchased the XM tuner and fit kit from 1sttoyotaparts.com (they had to backorder) and received it in two weeks. Total cost was under $260 including FedEx ground shipping.

As for the antenna, it looks pretty much like a standard black micro-antenna (about 1 inch square) with a square connector that plugs into the tuner. The fit kit also includes a ground plane (about 3 inches square) that is secured to the back shelf by double-sided tape. Reception has been excellent with no drop-outs in the outskirts of Los Angeles. AM/FM - what's that?

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands