EV button installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV button installation

Following up because I'm looking into this and found this thread among others... .

This mod is very smart:
http://www.coastaletech.com/electric_only_mode.htm

Every EV button mod writeup notes that the mod will void your factory warranty - this mod is simpler in that you just get the ECU to perform the function but you have no external changes - the Cruise Control's Cancel button is now held for 2 seconds to turn the feature on or off. That's a lot less likely to be noticed by anyone doing any warranty wonderings.

The difference in installation instructions is tremendous as well between the real button and simply installing these wires. The others are way too much for me but these seem possible for a novice like myself whose experience with electronics goes only as far as hooking up parts inside PCs.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe I'm spoiling a fun surprise here, so for those who don't want a spoiler and are buying the Coastal ETech Mod, don't read the rest of this post!

I received my mod today and in it were the parts wrapped by the paper but stuffed in as packing material was a pack of jelly beans! Too funny, what an eccentric thing to do. If only every electronics item I bought was packed by jelly beans instead of styrofoam pellets, I'd have some very cheap Halloweens.

Excited to give installation a go tomorrow, needlenose, screwdriver and flashlight in hand.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

I installed the CoastalETech EV kit a few months ago. The instructions are great and very clear. The only issue is that getting your hands (and pliers) in there is a bit tricky even for someone like me who has relatively narrow hands, so it took me a while. If you could remove the dashboard frame (like they seem to have done to take the pictures), the actual installation would take 5 minutes.