Long distance Prius

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Peak Oil Advocate
Default Long distance Prius

I have found a dealer on the East coast who will sell me a #6 for $2000 under MSRP . Problems: The minimum cost for my wife and I to fly there and drive back(Hotels, flights, food, gas and time 4-5 days) is about 1000. Another idea is to ship(about 750 and no promises about road damage). Also what kind of problems will I face registering an out of state car. I hear California is tough in this area. The dealer would not charge any tax or lic.(He will give me temp tags to get me home). I would rerally appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Guess there's a reason the cars are cheaper back East Thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Long distance Prius

Originally Posted by JCFLETCH
I have found a dealer on the East coast who will sell me a #6 for $2000 under MSRP . Problems: The minimum cost for my wife and I to fly there and drive back(Hotels, flights, food, gas and time 4-5 days) is about 1000. Another idea is to ship(about 750 and no promises about road damage). Also what kind of problems will I face registering an out of state car. I hear California is tough in this area. The dealer would not charge any tax or lic.(He will give me temp tags to get me home). I would rerally appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Guess there's a reason the cars are cheaper back East Thanks
Hi John;

I just know this is not what you are wanting to here, but you did ask, now didn't (YOU)?

So, I would if I were you purchase the Prius where you live and forget about that out of state purchase. The reason is that when and if you have something go wrong with the Prius. Your local dealer will put their customers in front of you as you would expect them to sense those customers did spend their money with that dealer. This is nothing more than just my (Opinion) but there is something to be said with doing local business even if sometimes it cost you more. In the long run it very well may even out if anything goes wrong and you need that dealer to help you out. They are alot more likely to help when money was spent with them than the great deal out of state.

Anyway, we all have to in the end do what we feel like is right for us. So in the end you will be the one to make the last and ultimate decision on where to do business.

I hope everything goes well no matter where you decide to do your purchase.

Good-Luck;

Terry

Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: Long distance Prius

Most dealers run the shop seperate from sales. They just take them as they come. I have never seen where a dealer put my car behind another becuase I did not purchase it there. Here in the big city of Houston is common place for one to take their car to the nearest dealer for service, but drive to the other side of town or even out to a rural dealer for a better deal.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

If you live in CA you need a "CA Emissions" vehicle. With the hybrids, this usually means nothing different under the hood, but it is different on paper.

A vehicle shipped to CA usually has a longer warranty also.

I did the reverse. I bought mine in CA and registered it in CO.
The main reason was CA had more to choose from on the lot.
My FEH would have been a "special order" in my home town.

The upside, I have a car with a Calif. VIN #.
If I ever move (or sell) it to Calif, the 10 year warranty is in effect, vs. a 8 year warranty in CO.

Good luck, but probably not worth it for you to go 3000 miles for $1000.

Check places like Las Vegas maybe? Only a 5 hour trip for you!
( I grew up in Orange )

-John

P.S. I bought my FEH in Huntington Beach!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Long distance Prius

I have found a dealer on the East coast . . . Also what kind of problems will I face registering an out of state car. I hear California is tough in this area. . . .
Of all the problems, California registration would be the one thing that would bother me. My understanding is California Prius have a longer warrantee. Although I do not know if it is based upon some 'magic' programming, it would be the one unknown I would want to resolve before leaving.

I hate to ask anyone to do this but: (1) visit a motor vehicle department and ask, or (2) visit a local Toyota dealer or (3) web search the California vehicle code. But it will be a great adventure.

I bought my 03 Prius in Fort Worth TX and drove 818 miles back to Huntsville AL. I broke up my trip from Fort Worth to Huntsville into 2-3 segments and measured the fuel economy vs. MPG for each leg. Having an XM radio helps pass the time. Since there are two of you, a small, cigarette inverter and laptop would also keep the passenger amused.

One lesson learned is the dealer may or may not be clueful about (1) tire pressure and (2) oil level. Check the level and if it is above the fill (many recommend the 3/4 mark between low and high) ask them to bring it down (WHEN you first arrive) or stop at one of the many quickie oil places to get it down to the right level. Heck, you might get some metric wrenches and at one of the sleep-overs, using an aluminum roasting pan, drain out what is needed to bring the oil level down while the pan is cool.

As for the tires, 42/40, front and back. Last but not least, Rain-X your windows before the car leaves the lot. Rain-X can be bought in a small, foil pouch and you'll really understand at speeds above 40 mph.

BTW, kudos to your wife. I'd recommend asking her to plan some side trips, day-longs. I'd recommend doubling the drive back time and making it a special trip.

Now if return time is important, 'borrow' a teenager co-driver or better still, a serviceman with orders for the west coast. Two guys will treat it as a competition and you'll make great time. But how to hook-up with a serviceman or college student who wants a low-cost trip to the west coast is not something I can help with.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-14-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You could call Toyota HQ here in the states and see if the warrany for Ca. would apply if you bought it out of state but you are reg. in Ca. Also you have to ask if putting upwards of over 2000 miles on it would really be worth it. Going 500 miles out I can see but over 2000 I'm not sure only you can answer that. kevin

Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Peak Oil Advocate

Thanks everybody for the great feedback. I am currently in negotiations with the dealer for a #6. I offered 24K. Tax and lic. will be paid here. The reason I had to go lower is because I think I will ship the car($750 up to $1500 depending on carrier). This added to the cost of me flying out there(no way I'll buy it sight unseen) about $250, you can see it starting to add up. At 24K I can justify the effort. BTW, tax, lic and emissions will be no problem. I'll take the 8 year warr. over the 10 here because I plan to keep the car only 5 years tops. Once again thank you for raising the valid points. John

PS Got to check the email now to see if I have a deal or not.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The reason is that when and if you have something go wrong with the Prius. Your local dealer will put their customers in front of you as you would expect them to sense those customers did spend their money with that dealer.

Sounds like a good lawsuit case to me, if you could prove it, if it ever had that happened to someone. I would think they would first go and tell the local media because thats a story!! they would then go to another dealer for all thier work & hopfully report the incident to toyota corp. reference pushing me to the back of the line for warr work because I didn't buy the car from them and let the person that did buy from them first dibs..

But I have never heard of that happening

Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Peak Oil Advocate
Default Re: Long distance Prius - The deal is done!

I fly out next week to pick up my new #6. Does anybody know of a checklist that would be helpful to go through before taking delivery? Also, does anybody have any break-in/driving tips for the long road(2650 miles) back. The price I paid was a full $2000 lower than I was offered here and I also had no clue as to when I would actually get my car. The wife and I are grateful to all the good advice we have recieved here. Now if we just don't kill each other on the way back home we'll be good

Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Long distance Prius - The deal is done!

. . . . Does anybody know of a checklist that would be helpful to go through before taking delivery? . . .
1) note pad for MPG calculation
2) tire pressure gage to verify 42/40
3) tissue to check oil level (should be 75% full)
4) music
5) sun glasses (afternoon driving in the sun can be rough)
6) rain-x
7) camera
8) grin that won't quit

GOOD LUCK and have a great trip.

Bob Wilson

ps. Print a copy of the thread "You know you are a hybrid driver . . . " and check off how many apply by the end of the trip.

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-14-2006 at 10:19 PM.