Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Events & Gatherings (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/)
-   -   Michigan Roll Call (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/michigan-roll-call-5542/)

Pravus Prime 01-19-2006 09:48 PM

Michigan Roll Call

Just out of curiosity, how many Michiganders do we have here?

Sledge 01-20-2006 04:36 AM

Re: Michigan Roll Call

Here :P

Actually I'm not a Michigander. I'm a displaced Pennsylvanian :D

John M. Dwyer 01-20-2006 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sledge
Here :P

Actually I'm not a Michigander. I'm a displaced Pennsylvanian :D

Present. My dad was a DP (displaced Pennsylvanian), but I was born and bred in the Great Lakes State - since back when it was known as the Wolverine State!

I'm happy to see the term Michigander. A recent state administration officially changed the name for a MI resident to Michiganian - a term totally unacceptable to many of us!

Wbruff 01-23-2006 10:32 PM

Checking in for the Michigan delegation

John M. Dwyer 01-24-2006 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wbruff
Checking in for the Michigan delegation

Hi Bill,

Welcome.

Those of us who went to the NAIAS were speculating about a possible get-together, perhaps in the spring or summer. Are you interested?

nimhbug 01-24-2006 04:33 PM

i'm here too...tho *still* without my car, two weeks now! hopefully i'll have it back tomorrow :) one of the dashboard parts is listed as 'indefinitely backordered from ford,' but the body shop was able to locate the part today at a dealership in cincinnati. long story short, my lovely 4mo old FEH was broken into and scraped all to hell in the process. replacement parts on a brand spankin new vehicle are hard to come by apparently.

John M. Dwyer 01-24-2006 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by nimhbug
. . . replacement parts on a brand spankin new vehicle are hard to come by apparently.

I've heard similar stories from other new car owners - especially hybriders. My understanding - at least in Ford's case - is that they plan to use all produced parts in production unless specifically ordered for a replacement.

Congratulations on finding Cincinnati. I lost it some time ago and am glad that it is doing someone else some good.

Raven 01-30-2006 11:23 AM

Yo.... 2006 4WD Escape Hybrid here.

We should setup a weekend lunch sometime for the S.E. Michigan crowd.:)

Sledge 01-30-2006 11:32 AM

So many Escape Hybrid owning Michiganders here. If we have a BBQ sometime this summer we should call Bill Ford and invite him over for some steaks and hot dogs and hybrid talk :)

John M. Dwyer 01-30-2006 12:22 PM

So many Escape Hybrid owning Michiganders here. If we have a BBQ sometime this summer we should call Bill Ford and invite him over for some steaks and hot dogs and hybrid talk

Yeah! I hope he doesn't come in an Expidition.

Despite the recent Chevvy ads, Motown really is Ford country.

So far we have six checking in:
Rich (Pravus Prime) -Thumb
Sledge - Saginaw
John - NW Detroit
Courtney (nimhbug) - Livonia
Bill (Wbruff)- Livonia
Raven - ??

I listed locations so it would be easy to see that finding a time and place for all of us isn't going to be easy. I had originally proposed a picnic (BBQ) somewhere north of the metro area to accomodate Rich and Sledge. I hope that is still an option.

A weekend luncheon would be okay if we recognize that it would be intended for a more local group. Rich and Sledge would be welcome, of course, but we would understand if the trip were a bit much for them.

Meanwhile, welcome to us all in the SEMI-HUG (SouthEast MIchigan Hybrid Users Group).

Pravus Prime 01-30-2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by John M. Dwyer
Yeah! I hope he doesn't come in an Expidition.

Despite the recent Chevvy ads, Motown really is Ford country.

So far we have six checking in:
Rich (Pravis Prime) -Thumb
Sledge - Saginaw
John - NW Detroit
Courtney (nimhbug) - Livonia
Bill (Wbruff)- Livonia
Raven - ??

I listed locations so it would be easy to see that finding a time and place for all of us isn't going to be easy. I had originally proposed a picnic (BBQ) somewhere north of the metro area to accomodate Rich and Sledge. I hope that is still an option.

A weekend luncheon would be okay if we recognize that it would be intended for a more local group. Rich and Sledge would be welcome, of course, but we would understand if the trip were a bit much for them.

Well, if you want to get technical, I live North of Mount Clemons in Macomb Township.

Also, I know there are more MI members here, but they either don't wish to identify themselves for meeting purposes, or don't check the Events and Gatherings forums. (Far more likely IMHO.)

Meanwhile, welcome to us all in the SEMI-HUG (SouthEast MIchigan Hybrid Users Group).
:omg: :zip:

nimhbug 01-31-2006 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Also, I know there are more MI members here, but they either don't wish to identify themselves for meeting purposes, or don't check the Events and Gatherings forums. (Far more likely IMHO.)

need the thread title in bigger more obnoxious letters. supersize it! i know there a ton of prius drivers in the metro area. i see them everywhere...mostly the newer models. i even saw two insights in one day last week. still have yet to see a MMH or RX400 on the road.

finally got my car back last friday. yeah!

Sledge 02-01-2006 03:19 AM

still have yet to see a MMH or RX400 on the road.

There's one RX400h in Saginaw. I've seen it several times.

Raven 02-02-2006 10:02 AM

I am near Milford Michigan.

Pravus Prime 02-02-2006 12:54 PM

I've seen a few Prius' around. Last week I saw a HiHy, first time for that. I was next to an Insight last summer for a stretch. At the Woodward Dream Cruise, for the hybrid cruise, I saw a lot of HCHs.

nimhbug 02-04-2006 10:19 AM

ok, kinda unrelated but funny...out running errands this morning, i saw a 90's model toyota corolla with a big blue oval ford sticker on the back bumper. further proof that SE michigan is a unique car market :)

John M. Dwyer 02-04-2006 07:10 PM

ok, kinda unrelated but funny...out running errands this morning, i saw a 90's model toyota corolla with a big blue oval ford sticker on the back bumper. further proof that SE michigan is a unique car market :)

I wonder if the Ford sticker is to qualify the car for parking in the special Ford Truck Assembly lot?

memiller 02-25-2006 02:17 PM

Mark in Kalamazoo - '03, '05 Prii.

John M. Dwyer 02-26-2006 01:45 PM

Hey Mark in K-zoo,

Welcome to the Michigan Roll Call.

I assume you have read the other posts on this thread and know that some of us are interested in some kind of get-together this spring or summer.

Those interested are scattered - Saginaw, Macomb County, Livonia (2 or 3 - I lost count), Detroit.

Would you be interested in making it to a hybriders picnic if its timing were compatible with your schedule? For some reason, most of us drive FEH's and we could use a Prius or two.

mppkll 03-02-2006 11:40 AM

Hello all,

From Mike in the Wayne area.

John M. Dwyer 03-03-2006 07:21 AM

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Southeast Michigan Hybrid Drivers Discussion Club.

I'm wondering about a get-together sometime this spring or summer. Perhaps a picnic? Would you be interested if the scheduling were right. (Time and place to be determined.)

Sledge 03-03-2006 08:09 AM

I'm wondering about a get-together sometime this spring or summer.

Yes. Sometime when the weather isn't 10 frickin' degrees F :angry:

I really need spring to get here. This winter has been miserable for me :cry:

John M. Dwyer 03-03-2006 08:31 AM

Yes. Sometime when the weather isn't 10 frickin' degrees F :angry:

I really need spring to get here. This winter has been miserable for me :cry:

Be careful, Sledge. We have had a relatively mild winter (so far!).

I was down and someone cheered me up by saying, "It could be worse."

Sure enough, it got worse.

moosh 03-05-2006 08:28 PM

I live just north of Lansing.

John M. Dwyer 03-06-2006 12:01 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Michigan Roll Call.

I have inquired whether those in the area are interested in a get-together sometime, perhaps a picnic in late spring or summer. Would you be interested if scheduling were right?

noirluispher 03-25-2006 03:52 AM

I am an immigrant from Baldwin, Michigan, that now lives in North Carolina.

Raven 03-25-2006 11:27 AM

My friend has a 4wd Hybrid Escape and is considering hosting a private "Hybrid Offroad
" experience on his 70 acre property about 25 miles east of Grayling. Nothing extreme.. rolling hills .. some may require 4wd to go up...but 2wd can do most. A couple of miles of two track to roam. Maybe an overnight Camping there.. or hotels a few miles away... Any interest? (See pics posted by Raven taken on property to give you an idea).

John M. Dwyer 03-27-2006 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Raven
My friend has a 4wd Hybrid Escape and is considering hosting a private "Hybrid Offroad
" experience on his 70 acre property about 25 miles east of Grayling. Nothing extreme.. rolling hills .. some may require 4wd to go up...but 2wd can do most. A couple of miles of two track to roam. Maybe an overnight Camping there.. or hotels a few miles away... Any interest? (See pics posted by Raven taken on property to give you an idea).

Interested!;)

I assume that we are talking weekend, here. My preference would be in summer.

Sledge 03-27-2006 11:43 AM

That sounds like fun. Too bad I don't have an SUV.

John M. Dwyer 03-27-2006 01:25 PM

That sounds like fun. Too bad I don't have an SUV.

It'd be nice to see you there anyway, Sledge.

Since my FEH is a 2-wheel-drive, perhaps we can take some of the gentler roads together.

Pravus Prime 03-29-2006 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Raven

Hmmm. Interesting. Depends. (I know, not real dedicated, but things are up in the air at the moment.)

Sledge 03-29-2006 03:26 PM

It'd be nice to see you there anyway, Sledge.

Since my FEH is a 2-wheel-drive, perhaps we can take some of the gentler roads together.

OK. Cool :shade:

mppkll 04-12-2006 02:50 PM

Get togeather

How about, EHP (Edward Hines Parkway) late July? Should be nice and warm then!

Wbruff 04-12-2006 09:48 PM

Re: Get togeather

Originally Posted by mppkll
How about, EHP (Edward Hines Parkway) late July? Should be nice and warm then!

Sounds like a good candidate, very large park (15 or so ;)miles long)

ILoveHybrids 04-14-2006 01:44 PM

Hey ya'll,

I just found this Michigan Roll Call, and I'm also from Southeast Michigan.

Have yet to get a hybrid though :(
I'm working on it! heh..Most likely the FEH, but it will be a couple years more than likely. Just had my 20th birthday and I bought a 2002 Ranger w/ FlexFuel capabilities.

Pravus Prime 04-14-2006 06:20 PM

I've been intrigued by the idea of doing the off-roading, sorry I didn't make that clearer, it's just between all my scheduling, it may be tricky to get free to do it. (Teaching schedule tends to leave me with a weird free times)

Welcome to the roll call, even without a hybrid, I'm sure we can welcome you. ;) (Though we may make fun of you. :P )

dknapp 04-17-2006 08:54 AM

Born and raised in Kalamazoo, live in sunny Virginia. We don't get much snow here, or rainy days, but we do have a heck of a lot more traffic here in the D.C./Northern Virginia area than Kazoo. But your mosquitos are much bigger and you do have to deal with the Upers.

turbotaguy 04-19-2006 05:00 PM

Metro Detroit here. I've only had my '06 FEH for just over a week and I love it. I'm on my 2nd tank and have averaged 34.3 for the first tank and i'm at 34.1 most of the way through my 2nd tank. I'd say it has been 70/30 expressway driving. I'm putting to use many of the tips from this forum (drafting on the e-way, etc).

I can't wait to get some more miles on this thing. I'm hoping it will loosen up and do even better. I'm happy for what I have though considering I went with "regular" Continental tires instead of the "eco" Conti's. I really really needed to have outline white letter tires so I went straight to the tire store from the dealer and traded out the eco's.

John M. Dwyer 04-30-2006 12:06 PM

Welcome, dknapp. MI expatroits are as welcome here as MI patriots.

Originally Posted by turbotaguy
Metro Detroit here. I've only had my '06 FEH for just over a week and I love it. I'm on my 2nd tank and have averaged 34.3 for the first tank and i'm at 34.1 most of the way through my 2nd tank. I'd say it has been 70/30 expressway driving. I'm putting to use many of the tips from this forum (drafting on the e-way, etc).

Thanks for the input, turbotaguy. Some of us are toying with the idea of a gettogether sometime in the spring or summer. Any ideas?

Also, how are the tires working out?

turbotaguy 04-30-2006 01:16 PM

I live off of the Woodward corridor in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area which is always a good place to meet. There are several restaurants off Woodward just north of 13 Mile road that would be ideal (large parking lots, etc).

As for the tires, I love 'em. I just filled up yesterday and managed to get 37.6 mpg. Either the tires aren't that big of a deal for mpg, or I'm just **** good.

I have been very careful to follow the hypermiler tips so it just may be that I'm good!