Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Originally Posted by Earthling
Exactly.

Any gas-hog truck that gets less than 20 mpg is a "monster truck."

Some people need trucks for their work, but the sad fact is that most gas-hog trucks are driven by people who favor the macho image of large trucks, and the environment and gas-hoggery be ****ed.

Harry
So long as you understand that you're definition of "monster truck" is WAY outside the common understanding.

Toyota sells millions of Tacomas that are "monster trucks" by your definition.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Exactly.

Some people need trucks for their work, but the sad fact is that most gas-hog trucks are driven by people who favor the macho image of large trucks, and the environment and gas-hoggery be ****ed.

Harry
What about the Honda Ridgeline? The Nissan Titan? The Toyota Tacoma? Toyota Tundra? C'mon...Don't hate the vehicles, hate those that drive them!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Exactly.

Harry
/shrug

Guess my Ford Escape Hybrid should be scrapped 'cuz it shares the garage with a Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4.... It's paid off and driven by DH (Dear Husband) to work; he drives less than I do and on the highway (where a gas-only vehicle 'excels') so I drive the hybrid because I drive more and mostly city driving (where my hybrid excels). If it untarnishes your view at all, we do plan to replace the F150 with a hybrid or other fuel efficient vehicle at some point, but we have and do use the 4x4 and extended cargo carrying and towing capacity of the F150. It's why we bought it. Hubby drove a used Honda Accord before that, when we were both students.

FWIW, an F-150 or F-250 are nothing even remotely like a monster truck; I live in Texas, I know what a lift-kitted, over-powered, "my weenie is small and this vehicle is helping to compensate" real monster truck looks and sounds like... and hate 'em just as much as the next guy/gal. Most of the ranchers and heavy construction folks drive F-250 or F-350 duallys here, and those are small compared to the modded real monster trucks that also occasionally share our roadways.

Last edited by GeekGal; 01-24-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
...I live in Texas, I know what a lift-kitted, over-powered, "my weenie is small and this vehicle is helping to compensate" real monster truck looks and sounds like...
My best friend for over 30 years has the closest thing to a "monster truck" that I know of. From a few circle jerks in our formative years I can say he's compensating for something else.

I'm the one that should get a lift and tires.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

WASHINGTON — President Bush will call for a slash in U.S. gasoline consumption by up to 20 percent in the next 10 years as part of new energy proposals in his sixth State of the Union address Tuesday night.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245555,00.html

Will wonders never cease?

Harry
Why don't we get to the substance of this thread? Pres. G. W. Bush has mentioned energy in every State of the Union speech he has made, but where is the beef? (line of the famous Wendy's commercial in the 80's)

Not even a semi-serious plan for all these alternative energy mentions in all his SOTU speeches - just a tease. A Time zine editorial says as much.

Policy is more important than what an elected official drives, although it should be pointed out Gov Schwartzenegger has become seriously green and distanced himself from the Hummer. I'd love for Pres Bush to do some of the things Gov Schwartzenegger has done recently...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Why don't we get to the substance of this thread? Pres. G. W. Bush has mentioned energy in every State of the Union speech he has made, but where is the beef? (line of the famous Wendy's commercial in the 80's)

Not even a semi-serious plan for all these alternative energy mentions in all his SOTU speeches - just a tease. A Time zine editorial says as much.

Policy is more important than what an elected official drives, although it should be pointed out Gov Schwartzenegger has become seriously green and distanced himself from the Hummer. I'd love for Pres Bush to do some of the things Gov Schwartzenegger has done recently...
Actually, the line is "Where's the Beef?"

Ahnold still owns the Humvee, he just stopped being a salesperson for the Hummer line of vehicles after the H2 came out. It's amazing how green a person is willing to become when a vote is on the line, ain't it?

What would you like for Bush to do? Socialize health care? Ban guns?? Steal from the rich and give to the poor? Gimme something good here to bite on, I love a good debate!!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Exactly.

Harry
Only in North America would you find a group of people this alergic to Harry's comments. I can see where some people can get offended by his statement, perhaps most light trucks are not "monster trucks" by our rather wasteful standards. But instead of attacking such statements, maybe these nice folks should read more carefully into what he's trying to say and how ridiculous we as a society look in the eyes of the world. It is shameful and very little to be proud of.

Since we lack the humility and social responsability, I would take what he said one step further. I would definitely favor our goverments imposing a tax scheme on the basis of the following:

- Engine Volumetric Displacement. Bigger engines = more tax !
- Number of cylinders. More cylinders = more tax !
- Fuel Consumption rate. More gas = more tax !
- Polution Tax. More polution = more tax !

Furthermore, as most European countries already do, if the truck is for business use (60% or more) or farm use, then it should be eligible for a tax abatement.

Now, this should quickly help our folks re-define the term "Monster truck" and perhaps coming closer to understanding what he meant.

On the other hand if that makes you feel better, please bash him (and folks like him). I guess you must really need it.
If not, please take a break, cut him some slack, and stop defending the in-defensible.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bparsons
...What would you like for Bush to do? Socialize health care? Ban guns?? Steal from the rich and give to the poor? Gimme something good here to bite on, I love a good debate!!
You are advocating bait - not debate.

Pres Bush could seriously do something without remotely doing the things associated with a Nanny State you hinted at (which are off-topic, BTW).

It's hard to take someone seriously when they banter on exact quotes of the 80's Wendy's commercials, just to mention one example.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmm, I don't believe I bashed him (and don't really see that anyone else has, egregiously, either.) Anyone that posts a comment can expect both responses in the affirmative and responses that counter all or some part of their comment. 'Tis life. I don't think he's been physically or emotionally scarred by it... any more than I've been scarred by his comments (which is to say, not at all!) Doesn't mean I don't have an opinion and share it, though.

Your mileage apparently varies.

For my part, I drive a hybrid but don't spend my life trying to crucify those who do not. I find I catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so when I'm in the mood to advocate hybrids (which is often, but would be preaching to the choir if I always or only did it here), I do so without saying someone is Satan Incarnate by driving XXXX {insert your demonized vehicle of choice here} instead of a hybrid/plug-in hybrid/skateboard/bicycle/etc. Further, I fully recognize my own deficiencies in "saving the planet" by acknowleding that I live on the public (coal-fired) grid, with a 4x4 pickup in the garage, in a state not especially known for its stewardship of the environment, etc.

I eat granola, does that count?

/back to your regularly scheduled flamewar. I'm pregnant, so I need to go take a nap now... too much 'excitement' for this gal.

Last edited by GeekGal; 01-24-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by GeekGal
I eat granola, does that count?
LOL, Of course it does !!

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Monster-truck driver sees the light...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands