Can you explain the engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Can you explain the engine block heater?

You would need the two most expensive parts. You need a way to plug in the 24v converter! Which is the wire assy.

The block heater is the cheapest part. Might as well get it.
You need the wire assy regardless.

You can have Wire Assy + 24v transformer ( goes to battery heater )
You can have Wire Assy + Block heater ( run off 120v AC )
You can have all 3 parts.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe we should look at this photo again

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...eryheater2.jpg

This is a photo of the hybrid battery connection--you can see this when you remove the rear cargo mat. I believe the dingy two wire connection is for the hybrid battery heater. Could someone hook up a powersource/battery to this connection and see how well the hybrid battery will heat up? If this works, then would a portable jump power pack be a cheaper(?) solution than the $80 component as part of the engine block heater?
John (gpsman1) probably state the amp rating required while I need to look it up? I previously posted a question like this but my mechanical skills are not good enough to try this (test) on my own.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM

You need 24 volts and 3 amps at 24 volts.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi all:

I saw the photo posted above by Billyk and had been reading through the following thread earlier :

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...73/index3.html

On the window sticker for my 08 FEH the engine block heater is listed under Order Code 300A and came installed as part of the standard vehicle sold in Canada.

I went out and can confirm that there is no converter wire that feeds 24 volts into the large battery in the rear although the connection is there - see my comparison photo:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...php?i=2919&c=8

So, my question is do I want/need one to help warm the HV batttery to help improve FE in the frozen north ?

Thanks, Hugo

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM

Wow... Hugo... you made a significant discovery there.

Your little 2-pin connector is really bare, eh?
That surprised me.
That would be where the 24v lead from under the hood would go.

The ( front ) end of the 2-wire connector goes to the side fender by the coolant tanks under the hood in the 2005 model. You can bolt a 24v DC transformer there as an option.

I'm still curious if Ford eliminated the HV battery heater, or just integrated it in a more elegant way.

An observation I just made tonite:

I was running the ICE parked. Please forgive me for 'wasting' the gas, but it was -5'F ( -21'C ) outside, and not much warmer inside. Since I had used the car earlier in the day, the HV battery ( Tav ) was still 30'F ( -1'C ).

I noticed my ICE would charge the battery to 53%. Stop. Then the battery would use power to spin the ICE down to 49%. Then, again, the generator would charge the HV battery back to 53%. Repeat. It did this 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes. Afterwards, my HV battery was 46'F ( 7'C ).

So the internal resistance of the batteries themselves warm things up pretty quickly.

MxC was 24.5 amps at the start, 35.5 amps 10 minutes later.
MxD was 45.5 amps at the end.

-John

Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Hugo, do you have a scanguage II unit? I would like to have someone with a 2008 model repeat the observation that GPSman1 just did and see what the results would be.

Could the 2008 models have a software change that enables quicker hybrid battery heating which could explain why the 24v DC transformer was dropped as part of the engine block heater.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Hugo, do you have a scanguage II unit? I would like to have someone with a 2008 model repeat the observation that GPSman1 just did and see what the results would be.

Could the 2008 models have a software change that enables quicker hybrid battery heating which could explain why the 24v DC transformer was dropped as part of the engine block heater.
These are exactly the questions I desperately want answered abt the 08 FEH/MMH. Hugo's photo is great. I just want to be perfectly clear on this per my question below.

For your 2005-2007 model owners, referencing the rectangular shaped receptacle without a connecting plug (bare), in the lower left hand part of his picture.

1) This is the HV battery heater receptacle?
2) You 05-07 FEH/MMH owners have a cable connected to this receptacle that terminates in the right front of the vehicle you can plug in 24VDC to heat the battery?

As Nixon once said, please make this one thing "perfectly clear". Thanks guys.

P.S. Wife gone in car now, but sitting overnight, checked before engine start this A.M. in attached garage, and Tmx, Tmn, Tav were all reading EXACTLY 44.6F. The 08 is incapable of reading BTM on SGII-xg 3.15.

Txc is meaningless on the 08 model (mine at least). always reads 33.8??

Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by KenE
For your 2005-2007 model owners, referencing the rectangular shaped receptacle without a connecting plug (bare), in the lower left hand part of his picture.

1) This is the HV battery heater receptacle?
2) You 05-07 FEH/MMH owners have a cable connected to this receptacle that terminates in the right front of the vehicle you can plug in 24VDC to heat the battery?
1) YES.
2) YES.

The little plug has just 2 wires, of 20ga size, and carry 24v to 25v DC, 3 amps, 75 watts. I measured this with a digital meter when I got mine last October.

When I first plug mine in, I can also hear relays click, or something moves, like maybe the air door to the battery. I'm always near the front bumper when I plug mine in, so I cannot track down exactly where the sound comes from. Do other users of the heater hear this sound? -John

Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 AM

Check first, you may allready have one. Look behind the front lic. plate for a plug. H

Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
1) YES.
2) YES.

The little plug has just 2 wires, of 20ga size, and carry 24v to 25v DC, 3 amps, 75 watts. I measured this with a digital meter when I got mine last October.

When I first plug mine in, I can also hear relays click, or something moves, like maybe the air door to the battery. I'm always near the front bumper when I plug mine in, so I cannot track down exactly where the sound comes from. Do other users of the heater hear this sound? -John
Thanks John, Later today, I'm going to investigate this further. This begs the question then, can an external 24VDC be input to this plug to achive battery heating?

I doubt the 08 FEH batt pack is different than the 07 model. Just because Ford didn't run a cable from this receptacle on the batt pack to the front of the vehicle doesn't mean the heater isn't integrated into the pac! I'll read the resistance between the two terminals on this receptacle, and if it's a nominal 8-ohm (75w with 3A draw by 24VDC), then I'll feel safe applying an external 24VDC to see what happens.

After a chance to investigate further, I'll report back for the benefit of the 08 owners.

One thing I have noticed -- Monitoring Tav or Tmx on SGII-Xg, the battery temp rises Quickly. Not like fWT mind you, but faster than I originally thought based on other posters.

Right now, I still have more unknown than known.

Quick Reply: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands