Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Sorry, stick, no cell.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
No, the SB989 isn't available anymore, but there are other chargers that are comparable or superior. The Turnity Reaktor 1000W or iCharger 3010B can discharge at 80W internally or 1000W regeneratively.

No, you can't get the same results. Discharging at <1A is much less effective than discharging at 10A or more.

I don't know what you mean "cant resist more than 4A".

Again, charge current should be 5.5. End voltage should be 6.00V UNLESS it's per cell @ 1.0V. Honestly, since the B6 is limited to 5W, you're not even going to see 1A of discharge. You can safely discharge to 0.8V/cell or 4.8V total.

Re-thinking the limitations of your equipment, it would also be better to charge ALL subpacks (12 cells) for 16 hours at 0.5A with a fan blowing on them to keep them cool. Terminate charge at 16 hours or 40°C. This will ensure that all cells are at true 100% SoC before you start cycling.

I'm a huge proponent of grid charging. You should reassemble pack and proceed as follows:

Grid charge for 25 hours with fan blowing through pack
Discharge with 60W bulb (100W if you're on 220V) to 106V
Discharge with 60W bulb (100Wif you're on 220V) to 66V
Discharge with 60W bulb (100W if you're on 220V) to 66V
Grid charge for 25 hours.
Install in car.
Drive.

The above should take 5-7 days and will give you results at least as good as the month or more on the B6.

Once you notice 2 recalibrations within the same 7 day period:
remove/disassemble pack
Allow it to sit for 3 days.
DISCHARGE each stick to document the capacity remaining.
Replace the outliers.

My car is a Honda Civic 2008. This car's battery pack contains 22 pieces of 7,2 volts sticks which is 158 volts in total. What level of voltage does it need to be discharged to, and how many hours do I need to charge it in a grid charger?

Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You have already quoted the answers to your questions.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

So, then I need to discharge it to 66 volts, which means 3V/stick? Wouldn't it hurt them?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

Now I'm in the second cycle. Should I really discharge it until 66volt?

Old 03-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hi guys, I know thats an old thread, but I just got my 2007 hch g2
First of all thanks for all the info out here, its awesome!

Here is some of the background:
Got my Civic with check engine, ima and dead battery light and of course with dead 12v battery and 1 bar ima soc.

Nothing makes it charge the 12v (I already ordered DCDC converter)

I did grid charge it once and it read ok for some time but then all lights came back up.(12v was always on, rest came back up after short drive)

I then did 2 almost complete discharges, first one made IMA battery grid charge to 195v(went down to 185 once charger disconnected) which is high...so second run required...

Second discahrge once again to complete zero did let that battery charge to 184 and stayed there, I thought that was a success. (Btw second charge took something like 15hrs)

Now I get same 12v dead light and no 12v charge at all (but thats dcdc dead) ima battery is at 184 and car shows 3 bars of charge, but in real life its full, but I still get p1446.

when i do 12v negative battery pull car starts (by conventional starter) with nothing but 12v dead light and even charges IMA battery but only briefly until I get the code 1446. (2 mins)
If I let it sit on "ignition on" for few mins after 12v reset it seems like its trying to start from ima but can't, I hear spinning in motor but engine never starts. It did start once when i did first grid charge and thats it.

I need to see what's going on with individul packs here according to this error code right?

Can someone provide a diagram of an orange connector to check voltage of every individual pack in ima battery?
like what prongs to actually check?

Old 09-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, background So I have an '07 Civic Hybrid with 187k miles & repeated Check Engine and IMA failures. My ODB checker says the Hybrid battery have problems. I bought a new 959 & spare battery pack to refurbish & install while & still drive the car. I'm a electronics technician and have rebuilt a car from the frame up so electronics and mechanics don't scare me.
I've disassembled the spare battery pack enough to remove the pairs of sticks but ALL of them are causing the 959 to read "ERR" when I hook them up as a paired set or and one single stick.What am I missing?

Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by John Lottes
Ok, background So I have an '07 Civic Hybrid with 187k miles & repeated Check Engine and IMA failures. My ODB checker says the Hybrid battery have problems. I bought a new 959 & spare battery pack to refurbish & install while & still drive the car. I'm a electronics technician and have rebuilt a car from the frame up so electronics and mechanics don't scare me.
I've disassembled the spare battery pack enough to remove the pairs of sticks but ALL of them are causing the 959 to read "ERR" when I hook them up as a paired set or and one single stick.What am I missing?
What are the stick voltages?

Old 10-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

Keith,
Sorry for the delay, my son tried to help and has disassembled the pack. I'll need to figure out the battery configuration before reassembly.
The cells are reading between 11.5 and 12.6 volts.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Those are all over-discharged and at 0% SoC. Anything below 14.8V is suspect. 14.4V RESTING voltage is empty.

The 959 can only handle 8 cells in series. You likely damaged it the first time you connected it, and it no longer works.

Quick Reply: Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands