HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

Hi All,

I have had my HCH II since Dec 2007. I have logged every tank and the mileage. I am averaging 42-43 mpg.

I get a light for empty tank at the 3 bars mark and I usually end up filling when the mark drops to 1 bar. That usually has been a 10 gallon mark it seems since the tank always gets filled up by 10.xx gallons.

So if the tank is supposed to be a 12 gallon tank, would this mean that I can actually drive another 40-60 miles without gas running out when the last bar is left?

Anyways, what I have noticed is that the mpg counter by the trip meter is not accurate. My averages are always off by at least 2 mpgs. Just a FYI.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

If Honda cars are anything like Acuras then they probably have a built in reserve for "emergency gas". I have a friend that owned an Acura Integra. He said he was once able to run it until it was completely dry. He said that he was able to run the car for about an hour after hitting "E" on gauge. I think an hour should be a reasonable time to reach a gas station for most people.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

After 9 months and 18,000 miles, I'm still amazed by how far I can drive the HCH on "E."

A month ago, I drove another 50 miles after the lights went dark on the readout, and I still put in only 11.5 gal (of the 12.3 capacity). And I believe that some of that 11.5 went into the filler neck, because I usually go 'til the third 'click.'

So, it's darn tough to empty an HCH fuel tank.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you have an '08? My fuel light doesn't come on till two bars, and fill up about 10 gal at zero bars.

Anyways, yes there is about a 2 gallon reserve (sometimes more; sometimes less), when you hit zero bars. I am usually to afraid to test this, but I have gone about 30 miles without any bars left and only filled up just less than 11 gal.

If you do a search around here, you can find many threads on this. Some people keep a spare tank in their trunk and purposely run the car empty. When it is 100% empty, you are able to put just over 13 gallons (assuming you are filling to the brim).

Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

The most I've ever put in the tank was 12.01 gallons. I've calculated that after 22,000 miles that on average I have 1.7 gallons left of my 12.3 when the light comes on. I always reset my Trip B as soon as the light comes on so I can watch the FE and miles more closely.

A word of caution though. Unlike other cars I've had, once the fuel light comes on in the HCH, it doesn't flicker on and off as the fuel sloshes around in the tank. It locks on. The effect is that if you happen to go around a corner fast, you could cause the light to come on earlier than usual. In the data I've collected, I've seen the light come on as early as 2.0 gallons left (wife out driving like she does in her BMW) and as late as 1.4 gallons left (steady driving on the desert interstate).

-dan

Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Think green.

I have an HCH I, but the salesman who sold me my car said that there is about 1.5 gallons left when the tank signals that it's empty. I guess it's a safety net to prevent folks from running out of gas.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Hybrid Owner

I waited for the gas light to come on once...and was able to put 10.5 gallons back in.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 AM

All 6 of my largest fill ups have been 10.6 gallons - and I drive quite a while after all the fuel bars dissappear.

The tank holds 12.3 or gallons; That leaves 1.7 gallons.
At my average of 64.2 MPG I could still go 109 miles.

But I don't push it because I hear when you run a gas tank dry yucky sediment gets into your fuel injection system and clogs it up.

Last edited by kenny; 02-15-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Last tank was 10.3 gallons. The light came on after the bars were gone and drove another 20 miles until fill up. My best tank so far at 47.67!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 AM

A word of caution though. Unlike other cars I've had, once the fuel light comes on in the HCH, it doesn't flicker on and off as the fuel sloshes around in the tank. It locks on. The effect is that if you happen to go around a corner fast, you could cause the light to come on earlier than usual. In the data I've collected, I've seen the light come on as early as 2.0 gallons left (wife out driving like she does in her BMW) and as late as 1.4 gallons left (steady driving on the desert interstate).
I have noticed this as well. The gauge does not fluctuate going up or down hills like other cars. Once a blip disappears, it does not come back until the next fill-up. Personally, I think it's better than having a fluctuating gauge.

Quick Reply: What's the lowest level have you gotten your tank?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands