2006 FEH HV Battery On its Way Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 01:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 FEH HV Battery On its Way Out

Originally Posted by 10Terp
Agreed. Do you have any idea what cell refurbishment by decrystallizing means? It seemed kinda flim flam to me when it was mentioned by the local hybrid battery refurb shop.
it's the age-old cycling method. With NiMH, much of the capacity is lost, but still exists at the 0.8V potential through additional material phases at the terminal - meaning it can never be used in the normal 1.0V+ range. By cycling the cells repeatedly, this lower range of capacity is consumed. When charged, the proper material phase is restored to the terminals and that capacity is again available above 1.0V+. Any time you see "reconditioned" that's what's done. "Decrystalized" just sounds FANCY!

One thing I will caution you on... The FEH cells are VERY misleading. They cycle like a dream and can regain a substantial portion of its 5.5Ah capacity; HOWEVER, they are tricky as ****. One thing that won't improve is self-discharge, i.e., the ability to hold a charge. Builders often make the mistake of conducting short-term testing and fail to realize this issue... they'll send out a pack that works for a few months, and then it fails like yours has.

Last edited by S Keith; 01-31-2023 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
it's the age-old cycling method. With NiMH, much of the capacity is lost, but still exists at the 0.8V potential through additional material phases at the terminal - meaning it can never be used in the normal 1.0V+ range. By cycling the cells repeatedly, this lower range of capacity is consumed. When charged, the proper material phase is restored to the terminals and that capacity is again available above 1.0V+. Any time you see "reconditioned" that's what's done. "Decrystalized" just sounds FANCY!

One thing I will caution you on... The FEH cells are VERY misleading. They cycle like a dream and can regain a substantial portion of its 5.5Ah capacity; HOWEVER, they are tricky as ****. One thing that won't improve is self-discharge, i.e., the ability to hold a charge. Builders often make the mistake of conducting short-term testing and fail to realize this issue... they'll send out a pack that works for a few months, and then it fails like yours has.
Gotcha, I appreciate the information. It's too bad nobody seems to offer these packs with new NiMH cells in them. I assume they're manufactured and have to exist somewhere. I know GreenTec has packs with "new generation cells" with a 36 month warranty; I used their chat and they confirmed these "new generation cells" are indeed still used; but it's also a $4K pack which I simply can't justify for this car.

I'm thinking my best course of action for now is to get a pack with the best warranty/price ratio I can.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 10Terp
Gotcha, I appreciate the information. It's too bad nobody seems to offer these packs with new NiMH cells in them. I assume they're manufactured and have to exist somewhere. I know GreenTec has packs with "new generation cells" with a 36 month warranty; I used their chat and they confirmed these "new generation cells" are indeed still used; but it's also a $4K pack which I simply can't justify for this car.

I'm thinking my best course of action for now is to get a pack with the best warranty/price ratio I can.
I'm 99% certain some Chinese suppliers are making 5 cell FEH sticks. IMHO, you will have better results with a quality reconditioned or as-removed healthy salvage pack. The data indicating that the Chinese cells are inferior to the original Panasonic/Sanyo cells is overwhelming.

"new generation" just means they're using 2010-12 cells in the older packs.

Make SURE your replacement pack can manage the cooling system. A 2010-12 pack will not.

There's a BCM self test in Forscan that will operate the fans and cycle the blend door. That should confirm the cooling system can be managed.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

Figured I'd post an update here. I pulled the trigger and bought the $1300 refurbished battery from the local hybrid shop w/ a 2 year warranty. So far so good! Noticeable MPG improvement, and it sit for 3-4 days with no change in the battery status on the power flow display. Time will tell with the longevity, but as of now, I'm happy with it.