3 car seats in back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default 3 car seats in back seat?

The selection of car seats for children is a very personal safety decision.

We personally only use Britax seats as we feel they are the best in the world in terms of design and safety. That said, we were able to fit a Britax Companion (rear facing baby carrier up to 23 lbs.), a Britax Boulevard (forward facing convertible for my 30something pound 4 year old) and a Britax Parkway (booster that uses the car's 3 point belt for my 60 lb. 6 yr. old.) in the back of my Audi A8 (a verrry big and wide car). I can see no way this combo or anything similar would fit in a Civic.

Btw, the Audi was replaced by my Insight into which I had an airbag switch installed for the rare times I need to take one of the kids in my car.

Normally, they all ride in the minivan and when doing so my 6 year old is in a Britax Husky. The only booster with a five point harness good up to 80 lbs.

With a third on the way, it may be time to look for a reliable pre-owned minivan (odyssey perhaps) or a hybrid highlander if your budget allows.

Good luck and congratulations!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 3 car seats in back seat?

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Can't you just stack two kids in one seat....

KIDDING!!!! very dangerous!!!!!! I don't have any of my own.

Safety experts will state they are always safer in the back... however at least this car has an airbag in the front that is supposed to disable if there is a car seat in there. But I'd try to wedge the little one in the back... safely of course (1 to a seat )
On one occasion, I have had to have my six yr old daughter sit in the passenger front seat with her booster seat (had the back filled with cargo.) While sitting there belted in with her booster seat, the Air Bag deactivation light did illuminate for the passenger seat in my 05 FEH...

Rich

Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 3 car seats in back seat?

Originally Posted by spacebug
The selection of car seats for children is a very personal safety decision.

We personally only use Britax seats as we feel they are the best in the world in terms of design and safety. That said, we were able to fit a Britax Companion (rear facing baby carrier up to 23 lbs.), a Britax Boulevard (forward facing convertible for my 30something pound 4 year old) and a Britax Parkway (booster that uses the car's 3 point belt for my 60 lb. 6 yr. old.) in the back of my Audi A8 (a verrry big and wide car). I can see no way this combo or anything similar would fit in a Civic.

Btw, the Audi was replaced by my Insight into which I had an airbag switch installed for the rare times I need to take one of the kids in my car.

Normally, they all ride in the minivan and when doing so my 6 year old is in a Britax Husky. The only booster with a five point harness good up to 80 lbs.

With a third on the way, it may be time to look for a reliable pre-owned minivan (odyssey perhaps) or a hybrid highlander if your budget allows.

Good luck and congratulations!
Bill, Congratulations on expecting a new baby...I fully understand how you feel about the Britax line of carseats...
When my daughter was small, we used the Britax Roundabouts (convertable carseat.) Then when she outgrew that, we purchased the Britax Super Elite (which was replaced by the Britax Husky.) To my wife and I, the Britax line just seemed better made and more comfortable for the child. When we purchased the RoundAbouts, we were told that since Britax was a British company, their seats had to pass the British safety standards which were more strict than ours. Whether this is true or now, I don't know and I never researched it.

If you choose to look towards the Toyota Highlander, you will not be disappointed. The HyHi is fun to drive and Toyota mated their V6 ICE to their Hybrid Synergy Drive. This combination makes the HyHi a very peppy vehicle. Also, with the 2007s coming out, there may be some 2006s on dealers lots where they may just make you a deal you wouldn't be able to pass up. If trying to find a used one, you could try Hybridcars .com 's classified ads at http://www.hybridcars.com/classifieds/

If you choose to get a HyHi, I'd put the 2 forward facing children in the third row seat and the rear-facing child in the second row. This way if you or your wife would so choose to sit with the child in the second row, you could still do so comfortably

Last edited by rihavo; 08-11-2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Adding to the post