Another jump starting question (08 FEH)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Newbie Enthusiast
Default Re: Another jump starting question (08 FEH)

Closing the loop on my previous starting problem... I called a tow truck to come give me a jump. Driver didn't hook up his truck to mine, but instead brought out this heavy duty battery jumper (about the size of a suit case). My charger is about the size of a book. Anyway, it didn't work on the first try. I cranked the key a couple of times but got nothing. We knew the charger was giving me power though because the lights all came on. So that was encouraging. He told me the voltage reading on his charger dropped down to nothing after our first attempt. Then he took it back to his truck and spent ~10 mins charging it to full. Second attempt worked perfectly. Started my car on the first crank. Everything worked normally and I drove it out for about 20 mins to get everything checked out and charged up.

When I re-parked it, I made sure the HV battery is charged up by keeping the engine running even while driving thru my neighborhood streets. One week later, I go to start the car. Nothing. Dead again. But this time, I used my little Li-Ion charger (book-sized) and started the car right up. So I think the next step for me is to replace my aging 12V battery, which should allow me to keep the car parked for at least a week without issues, hopefully. Thanks to Keith for his suggestions. I'm sure this thread will help others out too.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
A likely immediate solution would be to remove your 12V, go the parts store, buy a replacement, install, HV jump start once.
So, basically what I said above? Over a month ago? And you still haven't changed your 12V battery?

Honestly, realizing that you've continued to ignore both common sense and "knowledgeable" advice and continue to inconvenience yourself and others, it really makes me question why I bother.

Asker: "I have a problem. Blah blah blah."
Answerer: "Based on Blah, Blah, Blah, you likely need a new 12V battery"
Asker: "It's been another six weeks, and I've drawn other's into my madness incurring additional expenses (or unnecessarily exercising service insurance). Finally, I think I need a new 12V battery."
Answerer: (whispers to himself, "why do I bother") - okay, technically AFTER he whispered it to himself, he ranted about it on the forum.

Maybe you just didn't have a sense of urgency - makes sense since you like to leave the car parked.

Thanks so much for closing this loop.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
... ranted about it on the forum...
Exactly Keith! Basically what you told me except I couldn't take care of it right away and had no urgency since you know, coronavirus. I would love to have a second car so I wouldn't have to call my neighbors, but I don't. I would love to call my neighbors so I don't have to exercise the towing service, but you know, coronavirus. But I found out the towing service was more than happy to come out and happy to take my money. So win-win! I mean except you're mad.

Another weird thing...just to completely close the loop. After everything was resolved, I left it parked for 3 weeks. I thought for sure I'd have to jump start it, then drive to the store to buy a new battery. Nope. Started right up with no issues. Hmmm...