Bad electric motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bad electric motor?

Howdy folks. I’m new here and have been driving a 2007 FEH for about a a year. My wife and I really like it until lately. I think it has a drivetrain issue or maybe motor going bad? there is an intermittent grinding sound that last for a second and goes away and returns randomly. Still drives normally other than EV mode won’t function. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on with this vehicle? Thanks 😊

Old 09-13-2021, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad electric motor?

Intermittent grinding sounds are very difficult to diagnose. Can you localize it better? If the car will not go into EV mode, there are a number of reasons why that can happen. What you need to do is pull the codes, or have someone pull them for you (like Pep Boys or AutoZone if they offer that in your area) and let us know what they are so we can assist.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:41 AM

Have you ever changed the fluid in the transaxle? Also, how many miles are on the car and do you live in a hotter than normal or colder than normal climate (i.e., Death Valley, NV or Nome, AK)?

Last edited by AlexK; 09-14-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:01 PM

One more thought: If your air conditioning compressor is running all the time, the car will never go into EV mode because it is driven by the engine.. The grinding sound you are hearing may be the A/C compressor clutch, or the compressor itself.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

I will attempt to access codes and report back. It’s a AWD with 143000 miles. I live in northern Indiana so not terribly hot. At first it sounded and felt like running over a small object. Now more like grinding after it gets warned up. The car came with good record of service so wasn’t thinking about trans fluid. I’ll look into that as well. The last time I drove it, it had had a new scent of something hot.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stevie67
I will attempt to access codes and report back. It’s a AWD with 143000 miles. I live in northern Indiana so not terribly hot. At first it sounded and felt like running over a small object. Now more like grinding after it gets warned up. The car came with good record of service so wasn’t thinking about trans fluid. I’ll look into that as well. The last time I drove it, it had had a new scent of something hot.
That doesn't sound good. Be careful. Fire extinguisher handy - all types..

Old 09-13-2021, 07:51 PM

With AWD, I'd be more concerned with this:

Old 09-16-2021, 06:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If its the PTU the car can drive fine with the driveshaft removed. AWD to FWD is possible, someone did it to a mariner on youtube.