Battery shortage? or just a story...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM
hybridless enthusiast
Default Battery shortage? or just a story...

OK- I emailed my dealer about the MMH we ordered in July, due in September. I asked what the status was according to the Ford sytem. He told me "our best estimate is December , due to a backlog of batteries". Aside from the semantics, how do I politely tell him that I know this is BS?

I don't think he is actually looking at the order system, but the weekly scheduled production.

IS there a sudden shortage of batteries that I don't know about?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Default Re: Battery shortage? or just a story...

Originally Posted by pobre
OK- I emailed my dealer about the MMH we ordered in July, due in September. I asked what the status was according to the Ford sytem. He told me "our best estimate is December , due to a backlog of batteries". Aside from the semantics, how do I politely tell him that I know this is BS?

I don't think he is actually looking at the order system, but the weekly scheduled production.

IS there a sudden shortage of batteries that I don't know about?
I get alerted by Google on anything to do with the '09 FEH. Nothing about a battery shortage as of today. I'd start looking for one on a lot today and buy ASAP.

GaryG

Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford has two new hybrids coming out, plus they only order so many for the year. So, it's not like there is a general shortage of batteries, but Ford only buys so many of them and I'm sure they try to keep that number as close to what they 'need' as possible.

Batteries are too expensive to build up an inventory on.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't think there's any more of a shortage than there ever has been. From what I understand there were to be 25,000 (don't hold me to this number as I have nothing official but I've seen the number mentioned a few times) FMC hybrids this year and there was a similar limit set in previous years. I know that a large amount are promised to the NYC Taxi fleet. CA has always gotten a larger portion than any other state/region so they tend to have more on the lots.

I agree with others, you'd be wise to start looking for one on a lot and possibly talking to other dealers to see if they have any coming in.