Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota Prius Sales Limited by Battery Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Toyota Prius Sales Limited by Battery Shortage

Hot on the heels of a report that hybrid sales are taking off this year comes some bad news from Toyota : they're having trouble coming up with enough batteries to produce the Prius.
In other recent news, it has been reported that Toyota was building a NiMH battery plant, and some seem to see that as a signal Toyota wasn't committed to Li-ion PHEV products. However, I think the construction of a NiMH plant is simply to help them boost existing product in the increasingly demanding global market by HEVs.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Toyota Prius Sales Limited by Battery Shortage

Hey Ken,

We need a URL on the original article.

As for NiMH vs LiON, I know enough about the different batteries to realize LiON takes a whole lot of extra care to keep healthy and alive. NiMH is realitive to LiON, as stable and peaceful as NiMH is to lead-acid and primary cells.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Here it is.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2317251,00.asp

Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

In this article they quote the low May Prius sales numbers due to a shortage of batteries. They go on to mention that they only have 1-day inventory of Prius and looking at the current Toyota new car inventory. They only have one day supply of Yaris and two day of Corolla (their #1 seller).

It could be that the lack of the Tax Refund, since the TCH and THHII are both less than .5 and .1 day of inventory respectively.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Toyota Prius Sales Limited by Battery Shortage

I've noticed that at "my" Toyota dealer (which I pass twice a day on my way to and from work) there are no Prii visible on the lot. A few months ago there USED to be a supply of three or four vehicles lined up with the other new Toyotas, but not any more; not for several weeks.

The article is consistent with my understanding. That the problem with the NiMH batteries is that because they use a fairly expensive metal, they don't scale economically for large scale mass production. Small and medium scale mass production, yes, but tens of millions of units; no. Large scale mass production drives the cost of the nickel higher instead of lower and the battery cost keeps increasing instead of coming down.

Frankly, I'm glad I have my Prius with the original NiMH battery. I'm leery of the lithium batteries. A lithium battery capable of generating 300, 400, 500 volts and then bursting into flames right above the gas tank is a bit too reminiscent of the Ford Pinto for my tastes.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Prius geek

There happens to be a better Lithium battery for large-scale automotive applications with NONE of the inherent problems recently seen on the 'net and Fox news. It's called A123 systems.

Worth a google and a look. It ain't yer laptop batteries. Lithium-ion is so 5 years ago.