Bought a 2007 with high miles. Was it a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bought a 2007 with high miles. Was it a good deal?

Originally Posted by dae06
As I said earlier. All I want to know is if this was a good deal. Assuming the State of Iowa does the routine services as most States, Counties or Citiy governments do.

I do all of my own servicing and there will never be any records of this on any of my vehicles so I rarely check on a vehicles service history. This vehicle was very clean so I assume they kept up the servicing.
Yup, I think you got a good deal!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Bought a 2007 with high miles. Was it a good deal?

Here is what was for sale from a small car lot (with a shop):

2007 FEH, 101,367 miles, 4x4, auto. all the standard equipment. Clean carfax, One owner (the State of Iowa). Dealer replaced weather stripping on drivers side door for me. Very clean.

I checked, KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA guides for retail prices. They ranged from $15,750 to $17,000 retail. I bought it for $9,400. I like to get a good deal, but this deal almost scares me.

So far the only thing I will go to the dealer with is that the heater blows cold air when in EV mode (a seperate post). Was this a good deal? If not, what did I over look?
Reads like you got a great deal.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks,

I was sure I was going to find out that it had a salvage title, but they had the carfax and the title at the dealership an it was clean.

We have had this Escape for almost 2 weeks and my wife loves it. I know the heater pump (for circulating coolant durning EV) needs to be replaced, but I see many owners don't replace them when they go bad. Either way, if I decided to replace it, I can do it myself.

My biggest concern was if I was overlooking something. I am new to hybrids and wanted input from people on this forum to make me feel confident about this purchase.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

From my experience working at a dealer, the reason you got a "good" deal is because vehicles with over 100,000 miles are generally not sold in retail trade. The online price guides don't reflect this. It's likely your vehicle was traded in or maybe repo'd and then bought wholesale by the car lot you bought it from. You can check around the new car dealers in your area to verify if they sell used vehicles (even late model ones) with over 100K miles.
You might want to independently obtain a carfax or DMV title report if you're really curious what the history of your vehicle is. You never know what tools the car lot has to produce a clean history.
In any case enjoy your new Ford! I know most of us here do.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks,

I was sure I was going to find out that it had a salvage title, but they had the carfax and the title at the dealership an it was clean.

We have had this Escape for almost 2 weeks and my wife loves it. I know the heater pump (for circulating coolant durning EV) needs to be replaced, but I see many owners don't replace them when they go bad. Either way, if I decided to replace it, I can do it myself.

My biggest concern was if I was overlooking something. I am new to hybrids and wanted input from people on this forum to make me feel confident about this purchase.
I would recommend replacing that pump. If it wasn't needed, Ford would not have placed it in the FEH. The entire FEH is run by software, and the software is tuned such that it expects everything to be working.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Addicted Enthusiast

As I said earlier. All I want to know is if this was a good deal. Assuming the State of Iowa does the routine services as most States, Counties or Citiy governments do.
That's a big assumption in my opinion. Some agencies within State of NC do NOT follow manufacturer guidelines. Oil changes every xxxx, period. No transmission fluid changes ever, no axle lube changes ever, no spark plugs ever, nothing even when owners manual states service every 50,000 miles. This is on emergency response equipment too...

Regardless, assuming your vehicle hasn't been in a bad collision I think you got a great deal. I'd perform all 100k maintenance (plugs, coolant, etc) just to be safe. FEH is fairly low maintenance after that. Good luck-

Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

FWIW, we just bought our first FEH last week: an 06 FEH XLT, 2WD, 87,880 mi. Paid just over $9800 for it. The dealer wanted 9900 +tax+title+fees+docs, yda, yadda, yadda. We had a check for $9500 in hand and he said no. Said thanks and we walked out. The Sales Mgr found out we had money in hand and about flipped out (it was a Saturday night, 20 min before closing). Chased after us in the parking lot and we proceeded to haggle for another 30 min. Anyway, got the car. Have put just over 250 miles on it so far. Very pleased. I think we got a good deal. If this pans out, we may even get another one down the line. The wife really likes it and we had serious discussions on who gets to be the primary driver (I won, I think). The only thing I'd like to change is the rubber on it (Firestone Destination LEs). When the time comes, I'll go to the Latitudes.

Thanks to all for the insights on the best way to enjoy the FEH. We're trying the suggestons you've all made and will work on others to come.

Bob

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my experience, NADA etc. prices are almost always inflated. Also, with gas prices down, hybrids are not as in demand as they likely will be down the road. I think you got a good deal, but not so good as to make you think they were hiding something from you (though that could still have been the case). I just bought a 2009 FEH 4x4 with under 14,000 miles for almost 10,000 less than the cost of a new one. It seems like FEHd, like American cars generally, drop faster in value than foreign cars, making buing used the way to go. I used to have a 2006 Prius which I just sold because I found the seats uncomfortable. I looked into buying a used one before I bought it and it was not worth it. There was not a big enough discount. I have noticed that same trend with other foreign cars.

Here is what was for sale from a small car lot (with a shop):

2007 FEH, 101,367 miles, 4x4, auto. all the standard equipment. Clean carfax, One owner (the State of Iowa). Dealer replaced weather stripping on drivers side door for me. Very clean.

I checked, KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA guides for retail prices. They ranged from $15,750 to $17,000 retail. I bought it for $9,400. I like to get a good deal, but this deal almost scares me.

So far the only thing I will go to the dealer with is that the heater blows cold air when in EV mode (a seperate post). Was this a good deal? If not, what did I over look?