Changing First Screen On Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing First Screen On Navigation System

Originally Posted by MrCrank
Does Ford ever update the Nav system software? Maybe there is a suggestion box somewhere.

Of course, with U.S. product product liability law being what it is, I'll bet Ford's lawyers will insist that disclaimer screen stay there.
http://www.navteq.com/buymaps/fordgoogle0907/index.html

There are no updates to the FEH 08 yet. I think navteq does one a year and they are not cheap.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lurch
I think navteq does one a year and they are not cheap.
Yikes! No kidding: $199. My portable Garmin unit only costs $75 for an update.

However I think this is just the map data base, not the software the runs the system, right?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

However I think this is just the map data base, not the software the runs the system, right?

No idea, I suppose the best way to find out is to pull the navigation DVD and see what works.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the law is a federal requirement. I wonder how many people have followed the audio directions without paying attention to traffic laws.

I believe the 2008's are using a Pioneer deck. At least that what it looks like.

The updates you buy are for the map database only. I am a county goverment employee, and Navteq gets copies of our street data. I put several 'easter egg' street names to always know it was our data that was used.

It is great because even our infamous mud road made it into the map data in case I want to go offroading!

Many government entities refuse to give this data to for profit organizations if you end up somewhere with limited map information you can likely blame a city or county government.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does Ford ever update the Nav system software? Maybe there is a suggestion box somewhere.

Of course, with U.S. product product liability law being what it is, I'll bet Ford's lawyers will insist that disclaimer screen stay there.
They must have updated it because, if I'm correct, the '07 (and perhaps prior years) was CD based. The '08 is DVD based. And the screen is a bit bigger too.

Last edited by doctoru2; 11-15-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: edited typo!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am very pleased with my 2008's map and radio system. Except for its lack of bluetooth, which I had in my 2005 Dodge pickup.

The system sounds pretty good, navigation so far has worked great...the older systems were definately different.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can confirm that the '08 will start on the nag screen if you have it on the "Menu" screens (since I'm constantly on the power management screen) when you shut off. It does not appear to come up if you shut off while in the music screens.

I can tell you that this is HIGHLY annoying and is not the way any other GPS works (that I'm aware of). I'm hoping that as the unit gets some age there will be a hack to get around this but I'm not holding my breath.

On a slightly related note, has anyone tried to make a backup copy of their NAV DVD (or CDs for you pre '08 owners) in case the original gets lost/stolen/scratched? I'd hate to have to pay $199 or whatever it is to replace it.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 AM

Duplicate post... see above

Last edited by MyPart; 11-15-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Stupid logon issue
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you can make a copy let me know.

I am betting its protected. You may have to use a Linux program that blindly just copies all of the data on the disk and ignores the content.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by pb5927317
If you can make a copy let me know.

I am betting its protected. You may have to use a Linux program that blindly just copies all of the data on the disk and ignores the content.
Thanks for the offer...

I'm all out of DVD-R's but I think I will pick some up and make a backup while I'm thinking about it. I'll repost if I run into any protection issues.

Quick Reply: Changing First Screen On Navigation System

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands