Drag coefficient values

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Drag coefficient values

The Ford Escape Hybrid MY2005 thru 2007 has a drag coefficient value of .40 For comparison, a Volvo XC90 has a value of .36. The file attachment has the web links to this information. Higher fuel standards are currently being reviewed by our elected officials. Improved aerodynamics can improve highway mileage ratings. Will Ford Motor Company do this for the Escape?

Attached Files
Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Default Re: Drag coefficient values

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Ford Escape Hybrid MY2005 thru 2007 has a drag coefficient value of .40 For comparison, a Volvo XC90 has a value of .36. The file attachment has the web links to this information. Higher fuel standards are currently being reviewed by our elected officials. Improved aerodynamics can improve highway mileage ratings. Will Ford Motor Company do this for the Escape?
I don't the ratings, but one would think the "boxiness" of the 08's would be a higer drag, so I guess the answer would be "no". Unless of course the next years competition changes shapes, then too will all the others. It seems noone makes a unique vehicle anymore.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

IIRC its drag coefficient X frontal area. A .4 dc is not that bad. A SUV is a frontal brick. If you want areodynamics get a Prius or a HCH. The FEH still gets the best mpg of ANY SUV!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Ford has stated that despite it's appearance, the new Escape design is more aerodynamic.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Ford has stated that despite it's appearance, the new Escape design is more aerodynamic.
Yep, that is one of the goals for the '08 design tweak.

BTW, isn't an Escape an SUV, and the XC90 a crossover? Not a fair and reasonable comparison if true. I mean, I bet the XC90 is worse than, say, a sports coupe.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yep, that is one of the goals for the '08 design tweak.

BTW, isn't an Escape an SUV, and the XC90 a crossover? Not a fair and reasonable comparison if true. I mean, I bet the XC90 is worse than, say, a sports coupe.
Volvo has the XC70 wagon positioned more as a cross over vehicle than the XC90 which is a SUV. The file attachment lists the exterior dimensions for this vehicle which is larger than the Escape. Since I posted this thread, what I am getting at, is it is possible for Ford to redesign the aerodynamics of the Escape which can improve on the highway mileage ratings. I do not know how much of an improvement in MPG an Escape would achieve if it improved its co-effiecient of drag from .40 to .36.

Last edited by Billyk; 07-03-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Volvo has the XC70 wagon positioned more as a cross over vehicle than the XC90 which is a SUV.
I think that is where your line of thinking is going wrong. The XC90 is a crossover.

If you need to compare the Volvo crossovers, to other Ford products, I think the Edge or the MKX, would be more appropriate.

Dimensions have very little to do with such classifications. My MMH sits right next my Mustang in the garage, and the Mustang is clearly longer. That doesn't make my Mustang an SUV.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Edmunds calls the XC90 a mid-sized SUV.

I do not care what the vehicles are labeled. I was pointing out the Escape has the ability to be improved aerodynamically with a corresponding improvement in highway mileage.

Attached Files
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The 2008's are actually shorter ( ground to roof ) than the 2005-07's.
Taking 2" off the top as it were... would be an aerodynamic advantage.
And maybe not a small one.
-John

Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

I think Drag coefficient is the wind resistance of the frontal profie to the wind resistance of the streamlined vehicle. I do not think the size of the vehicle is a factor.

A brick may have a poor Drag coefficient, but it is small, so it has lower wind resistance than a car.

Something the size of a Humer could have a good Drag coefficient, but still have a lot of wind resistance.

Quick Reply: Drag coefficient values

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands